A HAL loyalist’s take on a Queen Mary 2 crossing

sppunk

We were on a Hamburg harbor tour when the Queen Mary II was getting remastered a while back. Perched high above the water totally exposed on massive stilts, our impression of the grand lady was we were seeing her with her panties down - (blush). :o She does look lovely. Thanks for the report. Good news about the meh food - no temptations to over-eat. Thank goodness for small favors.

The scones were quite good - and very filling!

Thank you for your interesting report and photos. (My favorite: North Atlantic fog that brings back pleasant memories of my experiences doing TAs.)

My QM2 experience was a Caribbean cruise during her early sailing years. King's Court was a confused mess, but the food selections were broad and good. The Library was very much used with the seats on the wings of the room the favorites. I liked the Commodore Club and was my lounge of choice for pre-dinner drinks. The Champagne Bar was (and must still be) a waste of space. The Winter Garden Lounge (now the Carinthia Lounge) was a lovely and much underused public room. Tea in the Queen's Lounge was memorable. Lower level round table for 6 was great, food was good, not great, and I was surprised at the small number of choices available on the dinner menu. Steward service for the table and our wine Steward were excellent. My dining section had as a Table Captain (or whatever his title was: dressed in a dark suit with a red carnation in his label) the most "full of himself" crew member I have ever encountered on any ship. His attitude/actions were so offensive to my table mates and me that after dinner one evening, he and I had a not so pleasant discussion. His "service/attitude" did improve after our chat.

Your stateroom was in the same area as was mine. Sitting in my deck chair on the veranda and being able to only see sky would prevent me from booking such a veranda stateroom again. My Cabin Steward was from Goa and his service was excellent.

The Boardwalk Cafe was never open. That deck is imo an uninviting place and way out of the way for an eatery like that. It looked mothballed actually.
It can be quite nice on an afternoon in the Caribbean. :)

But maybe not on a crossing with 8-12m waves.

Thank all for your review. We have sailed on a similar number of lines and times and agree that the Cunard ships are beautiful but the food not so much in Britannia. We liked the kings court, a wheel of Stilton and Branston Pickle and the most awesome curries! And the lamb was exquisite!

We also loved the scones at tea or In The kings court. They were amazing! I so appreciated getting hot tea!

Our stateroom was beautiful including the granite in bathroom on the Queen Victoria.

We found the two story library beautiful and well used. We felt Very much at home on the Queen Victoria, but the class system rankled me a bit. I prefer HAL where the food is better for everyone no matter what stateroom you are in, and we have tried everything up to and including a Neptune. I also found the dress code a little much but HALs has gone a bit too far in the other direction IMO.

On our crossing the two sports directors made a lot of fun activities and gave everyone some laughs. I’ll never forget those lighthearted competitions. IMO anyone who likes being on a ship should try QM2. The food was fine, and I didn’t notice class consciousness at all - I think one feels that only if they themselves bring it on board, be they a Queens Grill or a regular passenger. I like the sheltered balcony we had, as it let’s you go out and enjoy “bad” weather.

On our crossing the two sports directors made a lot of fun activities and gave everyone some laughs. I’ll never forget those lighthearted competitions. IMO anyone who likes being on a ship should try QM2. The food was fine, and I didn’t notice class consciousness at all - I think one feels that only if they themselves bring it on board, be they a Queens Grill or a regular passenger. I like the sheltered balcony we had, as it let’s you go out and enjoy “bad” weather.

I was asked numerous times if I was in the Grills. Never asked if I was in a suite on HAL, or where was my cabin. Don’t think I brought that onboard. Also found having a deck off limits strange. Guess I like a more egalitarian approach.

I was asked numerous times if I was in the Grills. Never asked if I was in a suite on HAL, or where was my cabin. Don’t think I brought that onboard. Also found having a deck off limits strange. Guess I like a more egalitarian approach.

I totally agree. I looked at a cruise on the QE2, but didn't like the idea of a 3 tier system. I also read a review saying that once you left the 11th and 12th decks it was a totally different ship

There could be various reasons for asking about your cabin location or which dining room you use. Even if you assume classism, you’d need to be asked that by many scores of people before it said anything definitive, statistically.

When flying I find the existence of first class somewhat bothersome, but only because the airlines (I hope Southwest is still an exception) are packing most of us in like sardines - I found no comparable offense against egalitarianism by Cunard.

There could be various reasons for asking about your cabin location or which dining room you use. Even if you assume classism, you’d need to be asked that by many scores of people before it said anything definitive, statistically.

When flying I find the existence of first class somewhat bothersome, but only because the airlines (I hope Southwest is still an exception) are packing most of us in like sardines - I found no comparable offense against egalitarianism by Cunard.

"offense against egalitarianism"??? What does THAT mean? Is the only ideal to offer everyone the same thing - to not offer a less expensive experience for those on a budget?

Given that mentality, everyone on this site is committing an "offense against egalitarianism". Many people in the US cannot afford to cruise at all -- certainly most in the world at large.

Anyone who buys any sort of upscale car rather than the bare-bones minimum economy must be seen as committing an "offense against egalitarianism".

Such PC BS.

I totally agree. I looked at a cruise on the QE2, but didn't like the idea of a 3 tier system. I also read a review saying that once you left the 11th and 12th decks it was a totally different ship

QE2 has been history for almost 10 years. While there are a few grills exclusive areas on QM2, barely different from the distinction on HAL Would an inside cabin dweller on HAL be welcomed in the Neptune Lounge or sitting down for breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill?

Roy

Many other cruise ships are also adding this "ship within a ship" restricted area and amenities concept. This is not just Cunard. Even Carnival now has the restricted area Havana Cabana cabins and lounges. Makes sense on the larger ships to start carving them up to create different zones and price them accordingly. If you pay more, you get more. Makes sense to me. And the best thing is if you don't want to pay more, you still get to the exact same places everyone else does. That is a very good travel deal.

OP - thanks for the interesting report.

To those not familiar with the QM2 - no worries about "classes".

RMS Queen Mary 2 is a one-class ocean liner with no class division.

Suite guests have suite perks that should not be confused with a class system (link).

Again: no class division on the QM2. No worries.

"No class division"? Aside from larger accommodations, special dining room, Lounge and Terrace -- how many "perks" must you see before you recognize the existence of "division" or "system".?

OK - to avoid non PC terminology we'll refer to it as "perks division" rather than "class division", and "perks system" rather than"class system" -- happy?

"No class division"? Aside from larger accommodations, special dining room, Lounge and Terrace -- how many "perks" must you see before you recognize the existence of "division" or "system".?

OK - to avoid non PC terminology we'll refer to it as "perks division" rather than "class division", and "perks system" rather than"class system" -- happy?

Can you name a cruise line that DOESN'T have a "perks system"?

Roy

These exist in every facet of transportation in the world.

What is wrong with being able to pay more to get larger cabins and more perks? Range of services and amenities for varying costs - this is a very common situation - stratification. Everywhere, even in the very early Sumarian civilization. Am I missing something? The most laughable stratification system was in "Communist" Soviet Union where the party officials got special shops and hereditary privileges for their own children.

Can you name a cruise line that DOESN'T have a "perks system"?

Roy

Of course not. I was responding to a poster who claimed there was "... no class division on the QM2."

Pretty much every thing you pay for, other perhaps than mass transit (in the US at least), has different levels of space, service, accommodations, etc. , depending upon the price you are willing to pay.

It seems only the airlines, with First and Business, are honest enough to call it what it is: "Class". Cunard calls it "Grills".

"offense against egalitarianism"??? What does THAT mean? Is the only ideal to offer everyone the same thing - to not offer a less expensive experience for those on a budget?

Given that mentality, everyone on this site is committing an "offense against egalitarianism". Many people in the US cannot afford to cruise at all -- certainly most in the world at large.

Anyone who buys any sort of upscale car rather than the bare-bones minimum economy must be seen as committing an "offense against egalitarianism".

Such PC BS.

You ask what that means and proceed to answer for yourself. Of course, you’re well off the mark. My phrase, meant to be understood only in the context of my reply to another post and a clear and specific reference to airline passenger space, apparently offends some sensibility of your own. So be it. Internet boards will be internet boards.

I felt zero class issues on QM2. It’s far less class-based than NCL and Celebrity/RCL.

Grilles passengers have a little lounge and a little deck for themselves. That’s it.

Well . . . not exactly. The Princess Grille has its own dining room and the Queens Grille has its own dining room. The lounge is shared by both Grilles. I believe the Brittania is open to all.

Of course not. I was responding to a poster who claimed there was "... no class division on the QM2."

Pretty much every thing you pay for, other perhaps than mass transit (in the US at least), has different levels of space, service, accommodations, etc. , depending upon the price you are willing to pay.

It seems only the airlines, with First and Business, are honest enough to call it what it is: "Class". Cunard calls it "Grills".

There is no legitimate comparison between the unhealthy seating one may find when they reach their seat on a flight, and anything on a Cunard ship.

Well . . . not exactly. The Princess Grille has its own dining room and the Queens Grille has its own dining room. The lounge is shared by both Grilles. I believe the Brittania is open to all.

True, though I see it as a prepaid speciality restaurant in a way. And in a poor location on the QM2, might I add!

Wow, interesting discussion.

For me, I find the food in Britannia underwhelming. I think that Is directly related to the different levels of dining offered depending on cabin. So for me I appreciate that on Hal I eat the same food no matter what cabin I am travelling in. I can choose to pay more for the pinnacle grille no matter my stateroom.

The small interior Neptune lounge does in no way compare to separate decks and dining rooms. And yes the PG for breakfast is nice.

I am not against choice or paying for more, I just was very underwhelmed by the food in Britannia. So call it class or perks. But if you are only in a balcony you will eat far better on HAL.

Wow, interesting discussion.

For me, I find the food in Britannia underwhelming. I think that Is directly related to the different levels of dining offered depending on cabin. So for me I appreciate that on Hal I eat the same food no matter what cabin I am travelling in. I can choose to pay more for the pinnacle grille no matter my stateroom.

The small interior Neptune lounge does in no way compare to separate decks and dining rooms. And yes the PG for breakfast is nice.

I am not against choice or paying for more, I just was very underwhelmed by the food in Britannia. So call it class or perks. But if you are only in a balcony you will eat far better on HAL.

Does "British food" typically overwhelm you elsewhere?