Vines wine bar stemware

voljeep

Princess- are you following? How about you have a "souvenir" proper

wine glass available in one of the on board shops that has a Princess

logo, trip itinerary or? Then we can use it while on that cruise. (Maybe you

already do and I was not paying attention)

I have purchased very nice coffee mugs in one of the

shops and love using it. It has the East Coast itinerary (map) when

we were on the Golden.

Does that make the wine taste 'better' ?

Not so much that the better glassware "improves" the taste. Rather, the varying shapes and purity of the crystal help you to taste what the wine has to offer. After all, nothing will make bad wine taste "better."

BTW, a better (IMO) glassware (often available at stores like Sur La Table for as little as $10/stem on sale) is Schott Zwiesel. And, if you can't afford/don't want multiple shapes, their Beaujolais glass is about as close as you'll ever come to "one size fits all" for different wine varieties.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I asked for a Riedel glass on the Royal on a Mediterranean cruise. It was in the MDR and the waiter went to his station and supplied me with one. Never had to ask for the rest of the cruise. This was in October 2017.

Yes, that's probably it when I have had a nice wine of my own. I think you get Riedel's automatically in Crown Grill. But my memory could still be off. What I don't know is how many different Riedel types they have. Do they have the Riesling, the Zin, etc, or just the Bordeaux type general red and the Chardonnay type general white? I also wonder how many waiters would even know them all by shape/size. Something I will have to explore on the Island this winter.

The first time we tried to leave Vines with our glasses we too were stopped. The next day, we asked if we could take them if we promised to bring them back. They said ok, we brought them back after dinner and followed the same routine for the rest of our cruise.

Now, if only they had stemless wine glasses.....

Does anyone know if Vines uses a wine aerator? We recently purchased a Vinturi that has multiple settings and the difference in certain wines is incredible. I find for most reds, the 3 hour setting is best! It really enhances the flavor, bouquet, and finish of the wine.

The first time we tried to leave Vines with our glasses we too were stopped. The next day, we asked if we could take them if we promised to bring them back. They said ok, we brought them back after dinner and followed the same routine for the rest of our cruise.

Now, if only they had stemless wine glasses.....

Stemless comes at a "cost." For example, the "bouquet" will now be subject to anything on your hand. And your hand, will quicken any unwanted warming of the wine.

Nonetheless, we often use stemless at home for a casual drink/dinner and they serve double duty for water or other beverages.

so, should I go get the $6 bottle of Cab I have in the beer fridge chillin' and open up the screw cap now? I plan on drinking the whole bottle starting in about 3 hours out of my tervis sippy cup mug, while snacking on pork rinds...:evilsmile:

I only use stemless for other beverages; Mai Tais, soda,

Kahlua and Cream, etc. NEVER wine! As said above, whatever

is on your hands does go through the glass and warms the wine.

A Sommelier said that you should never touch the bowl on the stem.

For convenience, and less risk of breakage as well, we typically use the stemless Riedel glasses for "every day" usage at home. The glass is never half or more full, so plenty of room to grasp for a brief moment to take a sip without significant temperature change - certainly nothing like changes while it is just sitting there.

All the Princess specialty restaurants use very nice stems. They're probably Riedels. I can't say that I've checked the logo on the base every time. I can report that in September, I specifically looked at the stems that we used at the Stammtisch in Vines, and they did not have the logo.

Also, for the Ultimate Balcony Dinner, if you order a glass of wine for your "cocktail," it is served in a very nice stem.

Rest assured, the stems that Princess uses, regardless of the maker, are "restauarant" quality. They are very pretty, but they are sturdier than the top level offerings--and they are machine washable. They are, also, much less expensive.

Thread Drift Alert:

A couple years ago I bought a box of Schott Zwiessel stems at Costco. A few months later we were entertaining super-wine-geek friend, and he commented on the "really nice stems." I had a giant grin on my face when I told him that I'd paid $2 apiece for them--the box of 8 cost $15.97. Now, while I described him as a "super-wine-geek," he also appreciates a bargain. So, he was very OK with the fact that we were enjoying the very nice '97 Dunn Howell Mountain CS, in something less expensive than a $70 Riedel.

:D

I only use stemless for other beverages; Mai Tais, soda,

Kahlua and Cream, etc. NEVER wine! As said above, whatever

is on your hands does go through the glass and warms the wine.

A Sommelier said that you should never touch the bowl on the stem.

True enough....but on a rocking ship it would sure cut down on tippage!

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I would offer go down to Vines for a pre dinner glass of wine. As the wines by the glass in the MDR are nowhere near as good, or have a wide a selection compared to what's offered in Vines, we would often take a glass of wine from Vines to dinner. The wine steward would often place the order to the wine tender with the instruction "sippy cup to go" That always raised a chuckle from us.

Thread Drift Alert:

............ we were enjoying the very nice '97 Dunn Howell Mountain CS.....................

:D

Mmmmmmmmmmmm... good!!!! IDC what year it is. Don't get that one anymore, but I have one sleeping in one of my wine fridges.

IMHO - wine is wine whether you drink it out of the bottle, a paper cup or crystal wine glasses - tastes the same!
Totally disagree. Try tasting wine from a Reidel wine glass then a regular wine glass and you can clearly tell the difference.

...BTW, a better (IMO) glassware (often available at stores like Sur La Table for as little as $10/stem on sale) is Schott Zwiesel. And, if you can't afford/don't want multiple shapes, their Beaujolais glass is about as close as you'll ever come to "one size fits all" for different wine varieties.

We also have Schott Zwiesel glasses and the "red wine" version with a 17 ounce capacity works for us as an all purpose glass.

The stemware in Vines is also used in SHARE and in Club Class dining.

Sent from my iPad using Forums