Chanukah - apparently doesn't exist on RCI

Not true. We sailed last year on Grandeur, and there was a nightly lighting of the menorah with an appropriate reading (at least I thought it was). It was in the Centrum, along side the Christmas decorations. I thought it was a nice touch.

Mike - I wish it were not true - but this is the response that I received today via email:

Please be advised that while Passover is generally held onboard, we do not typically have Chanukah services or celebrations. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause.

See if you can contact the cruise director for the specific ship.

As has been stated, some ships DO celebrate.

See if you can contact the cruise director for the specific ship.

As has been stated, some ships DO celebrate.

If anyone happens to see this and are sailing before our 12/14/17 cruise - could you please provide info on the cruise director? Thank you.

I totally agree - no rabbi is needed - just trying to make is special by having an area in the back of the windjammer - with an electric menorah, some traditional foods, etc. would be so nice! We loved the self led Sabbath celebration - surrounded by the ocean - it is so memorable! They provided beautiful challah, wine and had it set up very nicely.

We sailed Anthem 2 years ago over the Christmas holiday. While Chanukah was long over (ended around Dec. 14), I seem to recall there was a giant electric Menorah around deck 5 or so near guest services or the bionic bar (can't remember which).

I always find it funny when the holidays are over but non-Jews leave Chanukah decorations up like it's seasonal for us.

I think if you're sailing this year over the holiday, you'll find a nightly menorah lighting with some appropriate food items. We'll be on again for the Christmas break, and unfortunately, the holiday ends a few days before we depart, so no tasty goodies for us on board.

Wishing you Chag Sameach!

On the CCL Vista TA last year, on Shabbat two groups organized services. One traditional and one reformed. It was held in the library, arguing was abound, I thought fists would fly soon.

Yikes!

Years ago my son led the service (at 17 years old) and everyone thought that he must be Yeshiva trained - but he was actually reform! It was a nice compliment. We have never had a conflict - more like everyone pointing at one another who should lead.

On the CCL Vista TA last year, on Shabbat two groups organized services. One traditional and one reformed. It was held in the library, arguing was abound, I thought fists would fly soon.

Yikes!

Years ago my son led the service (at 17 years old) and everyone thought that he must be Yeshiva trained - but he was actually reform! It was a nice compliment. We have never had a conflict - more like everyone pointing at one another who should lead.

The issue was the traditional group wanted Hebrew only. The reformed wanted you know what. It was a pretty big group. Around 70 reformed. Traditional had around 25, they ended taking their service davening on the deck

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The issue was the traditional group wanted Hebrew only. The reformed wanted you know what. It was a pretty big group. Around 70 reformed. Traditional had around 25, they ended taking their service davening on the deck

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Reform

Reform

Reform

😊

I was on the Serenade a few years ago for the entire Chanukah and besides decorations hanging in the

Centrum there was an electric menorah on the Guest relations desk and in the Windjammer side room. We had a Celebration there night ( I would not call it a service and no Rabbi or Cantor is needed) with jelly doughnuts and latkes. It was self led. We had a female Reform cantor who was among the passengers, who led some singing and myself , strictly Orthodox, doing other parts

On Shabbat on the Oasis on its last TA we had about 15-20 Orthodox and traditional passengers and I got the CD to agree to have a second Orthodox Sabbath service with Wine and Challah (for those who would eat it) in addition to the usual more open service. They even published it in the Compass

So it really depends on the passengers and the staff to arrange what is needed and I have always found RCL staff to be more than understanding and accommodating in all things Jewish and Kosher

We sailed Anthem 2 years ago over the Christmas holiday. While Chanukah was long over (ended around Dec. 14), I seem to recall there was a giant electric Menorah around deck 5 or so near guest services or the bionic bar (can't remember which).

Yes that is where the Menorah was as I was on the same cruise. Based on what I have been able to find out, the CD will be Dennis Charles.

One does not need a rabbi, nor challah nor wine for Chanukah. Lighting the chanukiah is an individual mitzvah, not a group mitzvah. That's why everyone has their own. And the traditional foods are just that. Tradition. Not a requirement.

Heck, one does not need a rabbi for any regular service. You just need someone who knows the prayers well enough to lead.

FYI, Chanukah candles go on clearance after the holidays. It's a great time to stock up for future years when you aren't on a ship and can use them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

For what it's worth, the ships don't really do Christmas either. They do Holiday Spirit in Christmas colors.

No, they do Christmas. There is a Christmas tree, Christmas lights, Santa Claus, Christmas music and all of the other Christmas traditions. There is even a special Christmas dinner.

Every ship we have been on has had at least some sort of Hanukkah banner or a menorah with electric candles. A year or two ago on the oasis they have a Hanukkah dinner every night on the menu that included brisket and some other Jewish traditional foods. I agree with others who said you do not need a Rabbi to observe Hanukkah.

M

Thanks everyone! We are all in agreement - no rabbi is needed. It happened to have been nice to have one on the HAL cruise, just because it was very organized. Chanukah celebration of some sort would be nice and appreciated. I hope that someone from RCI is following this thread and helps to make that happen. Even though it is an individual mitzvah to light the menorah - I feel that there is something special about meeting up with others and sharing in the celebrating while far from home. If there is nothing set up for our first night, then at the meet and mingle on the first day we will reach out to the officers present.

I will let you know the outcome after the cruise!

I am so disappointed.

We have sailed during Chanukah through the years - on HAL and NCL. In all cases Chanukah was celebrated nightly - with appropriate foods, a menorah and more. I just heard from RCI that there is NO celebration on board the Anthem. Considering all of the money spent on the beautiful Christmas decorations (which we do enjoy) - it would cost very little to recognize our celebration as well. We chose this sailing as a Birthday/Chanukah present and never thought that it would be omitted from the many offerings of this mega ship!

Not So.....we sailed on Her Majesty of the Seas several years ago and Chanukah fell over the weekend that we sailed. Each night they had a special setup of food and time to light an electric menorah at that time. The services were lay led, since they do not provide a rabbi, which is totally fine. The same with Shabbat services the ship will provide an area for the service but it needs to be lay led.

FWIW, we sailed the Anthem last week and we noticed Sabbath Services (self led) in the Compass at the Windjammer (we aren't religious so we didn't attend). So I would think they are probably still going to do something for Chanukah. I've never sailed during the Holiday season. I bet it's kind of fun.

Not So.....we sailed on Her Majesty of the Seas several years ago and Chanukah fell over the weekend that we sailed. Each night they had a special setup of food and time to light an electric menorah at that time. The services were lay led, since they do not provide a rabbi, which is totally fine. The same with Shabbat services the ship will provide an area for the service but it needs to be lay led.

That would be lovely. I hope that they do that on the Anthem. I questioned via email twice and was told no. Time will tell. It is good to hear of others who enjoyed their Chanukah abord RCI ships!