Condition of Freedom?

Hello! I just booked a (refundable deposit) Southern Caribbean cruise on Freedom of the Seas for next May, and I'm really excited about the itinerary out of San Juan. The ports are St. Thomas, St. Kitt's, St. Lucia, Antigua and Barbados. Because we can only travel during very specific weeks out of the year (work/scheduling constraints), our choices are very limited for ships. The only other choice we would have for a similar itinerary that eek would be on Carnival (I think maybe the Splendor?).

My biggest hesitation about the Freedom is some really bad reviews lately about the condition of the ship. I know she is scheduled for a dry dock in 2020, but I'm looking for vacation in 2019. Can anyone who has sailed on Freedom very recently assuage my fears about her condition? Should we switch to Carnival, or consider an AI instead for next year?

All honest input appreciated!

Sailed on freedom feb 2018. Ship seemed to be in good shape. Didn’t really notice anything out of the ordinary. All the pools were well maintained. Spent a lot of time in solarium pool. Ate in main dining room each night, some lunches, and a couple breakfasts. Windjammer was clean well maintained. Did NOT encounter any broken chairs, torn chairs. Rooms were in good shape. Yes, some carpets showed signs of normal wear, but none were ripped.

Enjoy the cruise. It’s a great ship. Not too big, not too small. Good activities. Decent shows ( not an allure, oasis, harmony) but good entertainment. Ice show is good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We just got off Freedom 2 weeks ago. It was the 4th or 5th time we’ve been on her. She’s in great shape, you’ll find bad reviews on any ship. For every bad review there are probably 10 good reviews that people don’t publish. We sailed your itinerary on Adventure in March, one of our favorite cruises. Try to spend a few extra days in San Juan. Relax you’ll have a great time. Don’t switch to Carnival.

Ships undergo maintenance all the time. Sure, there may be some worn furniture or paint that needs "touching up", but so do most hotels have those problems! Ships are well-used...but she's certainly not a "rust-bucket"!

You are worrying about nothing. You will have a fantastic time, I'm certain.

Would you please post some links to the really bad reviews?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=358

Scroll down. Yes, there are some very great reviews, but also some really concerning ones, generally echoing a similar sentiment about the ship being in bad need of an overhaul. I generally take individual reviews with a grain of salt, but when I start to see negative trends, I get worried.

Thanks for the responses! Keep your opinions coming!

We just got off Freedom 2 weeks ago. It was the 4th or 5th time we’ve been on her. She’s in great shape, you’ll find bad reviews on any ship. For every bad review there are probably 10 good reviews that people don’t publish. We sailed your itinerary on Adventure in March, one of our favorite cruises. Try to spend a few extra days in San Juan. Relax you’ll have a great time. Don’t switch to Carnival.

I booked a hotel for Friday and Saturday nights pre-cruise, but haven't booked air, yet...waiting for JetBlue and Southwest fares to come out. Also giving myself time to change my mind if I need to. What would you recommend doing in San Juan? We will probably have Friday evening and all day Saturday. I'm debating between a self-guided tour of OSJ with stops in a few bars and restaurants, or a guided tour to El Yunque. Not sure how much time we will have to do both?

Thanks!

I personally don't pay much attention ... especially to the source of the link you posted...just not a favorite of mine.

I'm getting ready to do a B2B Sept 8th & 15th .... and won't let a few negative Nancy's cause me any concern at all.

Bon Voyage !!

Wouldn't you ask these questions before you book?

Buyers remorse maybe

Was watching the reviews, but the bad ones are more recent. But this is one of the reasons I booked a refundable deposit. I got the cabin I wanted without being locked in. Thanks for your helpful thoughts ;)

I personally don't pay much attention ... especially to the source of the link you posted...just not a favorite of mine.

I'm getting ready to do a B2B Sept 8th & 15th .... and won't let a few negative Nancy's cause me any concern at all.

Bon Voyage !!

Thanks, please post a review!

I booked a hotel for Friday and Saturday nights pre-cruise, but haven't booked air, yet...waiting for JetBlue and Southwest fares to come out. Also giving myself time to change my mind if I need to. What would you recommend doing in San Juan? We will probably have Friday evening and all day Saturday. I'm debating between a self-guided tour of OSJ with stops in a few bars and restaurants, or a guided tour to El Yunque. Not sure how much time we will have to do both?

Thanks!

I would do the tour of OSJ

When I'm on a cruise, my job is to enjoy myself. I don't have time (nor the inclination) to look at every rug, wall, door jam, etc. to assess it's condition. Having said that I would notice glaring problems and would note them. Never seen that on Royal.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=358

Scroll down. Yes, there are some very great reviews, but also some really concerning ones, generally echoing a similar sentiment about the ship being in bad need of an overhaul. I generally take individual reviews with a grain of salt, but when I start to see negative trends, I get worried.

Thanks for the responses! Keep your opinions coming!

One of those negative reviews complains about '90s decor on a ship that went into service in '06. Lol

I skimmed through a few others and saw nothing that would give me pause. As someone else mentioned, you can find negative reviews about every ship.

We're currently booked on Freedom for October '19, and not at all concerned about the condition of the ship. Looking forward to a Southern Caribbean itinerary.

One of those reviews said "everything closes at 11pm" I would love to know what they mean by "everything". It also mentions "exploded employees" for the life of me I can't figure out what that means.

Probably a autocorrect of a mispelled "exploited".

I cannot comment on the condition of the Freedom currently, but we sailed her in March 2016 and March 2017 and found the ship fine. We are booked again on the Freedom in March 2019, so that should tell you right there we did not have issue with the ship. If you switch to the Carnival ship, I am sure you will not enjoy it as much as the Freedom. There is a reason it is priced considerably less than the Freedom.

As for pricing airfare, we booked our airfare the first week it came out. Prices have gone and doubled or tripled since we booked. Southwest has not yet released airfare for our March trip, so I cannot compare how they will price their flights.

As for San Juan, it is a great place to visit and I would highly recommend a couple days there. If you have a day to visit the rain forest, I would be sure to do that. We have tried our two visits to Puerto Rico to do this but were unable to do so both times (hurricane damage and fully booked tours the other time). The forts in San Juan are worth a visit. The city is great and wonderful to explore on your own. Remember, the day the cruise sets sail, you will not sail until the evening, so you can always spend the day looking around San Juan and then board the ship later on.