Shoes on Deck

Last week there was a thread with title 'shoes' and the topic was about the shows (i.e. just a typo). This thread, it is actually asking about shoes.

We'll be on Mariner in August and am wondering what kind of shoes to pick up for my kids. I can see them spending hours on end between the waterslides, skypad, rock wall, flowrider (all same area on the ship)....and then the pool. I remember from Allure that the decks are slippery so probably flip flops are not a good idea. We also have 2 beach days of which we'll probably stay on ship for one (and hopefully get to the beach for the other).

So what kind of shoes do you use? Do you stick to sandals or running shoes and just take them off when needed? Or do you get water shoes? Or Flip Flops? Crocs? For waterslides, do they just go barefoot so it doesn't matter? I know it's a silly question...just thinking of logistics.

We weren’t allowed to wear shoes on the water slides.

My kids and I wore flip flops walking around the pool area.

Neither the pool shoes or flip flops take up much room, so I would pack both. We used the water shoes on some shore excursions.

I agree that water shoes work well. Lots of barefoot kids running around but the decks do get very hot from the sun beating down. Water shoes work very well especially if your chair is not close by and they are playing in different areas. I would second that idea for adults too.

Closed-toe shoes are required for the rock climbing wall. I also have seen the operator tell people they need to be dry and suggest a tshirt under the harness.

Oh true...and we are going in August so can imagine decks will be super hot. I think my husband and I will be fine in our sandals...but our kids running around more from one activity to the other.

And yes...good point about the rock wall...so may have to time that differently .

The decks do get hot enough to burn your feet....I just use flip flops...a brand that is very slip-resistant, both inside and outside of the sole. Some flip flops, when wet, get slippery INSIDE the shoe! You don't want that! I don't wear shoes IN the pools at all.

Thanks for all the replies. Will probably look for watershoes. It's only a short cruise but we have another one 6.5 months later so can get use of them again (if still fit).

I got my (cheap) watershoes at The Sports Authority. (didn't they close last year?) about a decade ago, and still use them. :)

Buy them NOW. Many stores stop carrying them after the summer ends.

Thanks for all the replies. Will probably look for watershoes. It's only a short cruise but we have another one 6.5 months later so can get use of them again (if still fit).

Definitely look now. Depending on where you live they are not always available in the winter. Would advise buying on the big side. I use them and find in the Caribbean heat feet tend to be a bit bigger. Hard when your feet are hot and sweaty and sandy if at the beach.

Even my grandkids complained about water shoes being harder to get on and off - probably because some have a high instep and are not real stretchy.

I got my (cheap) watershoes at The Sports Authority. (didn't they close last year?) about a decade ago, and still use them. :)

Absolutely look now. I was at Target on Friday and all the summer merchandise was 50% off. Looked for cheap floats but all the blow up noodles were already gone.

unless you have an Alvins Island within reasonable distance. huge selection and decent prices year round.

the decks get EXTREMELY hot. water shoes are my go to. you do need closed toe shoes for rock climbing

On independence shoes are provided for the climbing wall. No need to bring any for that. Do need socks though !!

Thank you. Will look soon then. We actually leave 5 weeks today so need to buy them soon anyways. [emoji4]. Good tip too to buy them a bit bigger.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk