those not-on-menu but always available food items

Hi all,

I look forward to my first cruise on the Freedom in a few months and, after reading so many posts regarding the menu offerings I just have to ask the question: What are the foods that you have ordered which are NOT on the menu? I know that shrimp cocktail is one. What are the others? I'm especially interested since I am not familiar with the menus at all so I don't know what WAS available before.

As for drinks in the MDR I assume only tap water and coffee/tea is free of charge?

Many thanks!

Camelia

You can get tap water, coffee, hot tea, iced tea, lemonade, and milk for no extra charge in the MDR. Additionally, juices are available at breakfast for no extra charge.

Items not on the menu that we can usually get: baked potato, steamed vegetables, Indian entrees, including a vegetarian choice.

Indian entrees??? That seems random. Can you elaborate? We always love a good curry dish.

Speak to your waiter. This varies by ship, but when we inquire about Indian entrees, they usually tell us of a couple that are available each night.

Bob, I'm curious as to the option of asking for a vegetarian choice - do you mean the same vegetarian choice on the menu cooked in a different way (cooked in a tomato sauce instead of a cream sauce for instance?) or a totally different dish? I'm just wondering how flexible they can be? I would imagine that it would vary per ship and some chefs would be more accomodating than others?

Great to know about those beverages too!

Thank you!

Bob, I'm curious as to the option of asking for a vegetarian choice - do you mean the same vegetarian choice on the menu cooked in a different way (cooked in a tomato sauce instead of a cream sauce for instance?) or a totally different dish? I'm just wondering how flexible they can be? I would imagine that it would vary per ship and some chefs would be more accomodating than others?

Great to know about those beverages too!

Thank you!

I was referring to the Indian entrees that we have been able to get from time to time. We've found that sometimes they have two Indian entrees (different each night) to choose from, one of which is vegetarian.

Hi all,

I look forward to my first cruise on the Freedom in a few months and, after reading so many posts regarding the menu offerings I just have to ask the question: What are the foods that you have ordered which are NOT on the menu? I know that shrimp cocktail is one. What are the others? I'm especially interested since I am not familiar with the menus at all so I don't know what WAS available before.

As for drinks in the MDR I assume only tap water and coffee/tea is free of charge?

Many thanks!

Camelia

One example is that I've asked for (and gotten) Key Lime Pie on nights besides night 7. :)

That may be the case with lots of things - it never hurts to ask...

On the other side of the menu the every night offerings I recall are shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad, steak, chicken breast, and possibly salmon.

The vegetarian choices are marked with a small "v" next to the items.

I realize that I haven't shared mine (though they are not on RCI I would imagine that they are available on all the lines). I love to eat fruit and mainly I do so from the buffets on board but I must admit that after a few days of the same fruit it does get tiring! On my last cruise I decided to request a fruit platter as dessert (I'm one of those strange people that get tired of the sweets after a few days) and I asked if they had different fruit (from the usual melon, pineapple and watermelon! Indeed they did..blueberries, strawberries, kiwis and even papaya! So..just as you can order a side of vegetables..you can also do so with fruit if you are so inclined.

Also I've learned to ask for a side order of nuts and chocolate wafers when I order ice cream!

On the other side of the menu the every night offerings I recall are shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad, steak, chicken breast, and possibly salmon.

The vegetarian choices are marked with a small "v" next to the items.

Escargots à la Bourguignonne.

I was referring to the Indian entrees that we have been able to get from time to time. We've found that sometimes they have two Indian entrees (different each night) to choose from, one of which is vegetarian.

Yes, we discovered this too. People we were sharing a table with told us you can almost always order curry at dinner. The reason is so many of the staff are from India that there is always at least one pot of curry simmering on the stove for staff.

We did ask our waiter for the curry, and it was delicious. It was the genuine, cooked for hours curry, with many added and blended spices. Nothing like the curry powder we buy in North America. I did find it moderately spicy, but the trick is to calm it down by eating the rice it is served with.

We were on Navigator in December & I wasn't crazy about any of the entrees in the MDR (very unusual for me). I asked about the availability of an Indian entrée - and the head waiter came and told me he could bring me some. I mentioned that I don't like spinach.

I received the best dinner of the cruise. It was wonderful and I wish they would have Indian entrees on their menu (as Carnival does).

From my experience, the indian dish is basically the same each night.

And it was always veggie, loaded with potato.

Very heavy...

That wasn't what I had on the Radiance and the Empress last year. I got the indian vegetarian as honestly, a lot of their vegetarian dishes are too heavy, anyways -- It two curries, some roti, and some rice. Delicious if you like Indian food. Always hot and it's really the dish I look forward to. Never disappointing. I had them on Carnival too and they are delicious!!

Edited by DisneyDatknee