Golden Princess?

Lyndonn

We did B2B cruises on the Golden, 8/11/18 and 8/18/25. I confess that I was a little worried after some of the reports here.

She was in fine shape. No ceiling drips or nasty smells that I experienced. My ONLY complaint was the horrible water pressure in the shower and the fact that sometimes during a shower the water would suddenly become very cold. I could fiddle with the temp control and get it back to something that worked again.

She was being cleaned constantly and all public areas seemed to be in good shape.

I got off the Golden yesterday. There were buckets every where for ceiling drips. In my corridor on Fiesta deck and around many shops. The new carpet is a nice neutral color but the starboard and port are the same unlike before where they had a red or blue stripe to tell them apart. The Horizon court is modern and fresh looking. Club Class dining was still noisy because it's not separated from the MDR by more then a rope. If it weren't for all the ceiling drips and buckets I would have said it was in fine shape.

We did B2B cruises on the Golden' date=' 8/11/18 and 8/18/25. I confess that I was a little worried after some of the reports here.

She was in fine shape. No ceiling drips or nasty smells that I experienced. My ONLY complaint was the horrible water pressure in the shower and the fact that sometimes during a shower the water would suddenly become very cold. I could fiddle with the temp control and get it back to something that worked again. [/quote']

I got off the Golden yesterday. There were buckets every where for ceiling drips. In my corridor on Fiesta deck and around many shops.

Hmmmmm

Hmmmmm

My exact words.

We have decided to stick with the Ruby sailing Sydney to L.A. in Apr 2020, instead of going on the Golden in Apr 2019, same itinerary. We prefer to be on a newer ship when the cruise is a long voyage (28 days).

Thank you for your replies :)

We're on the Golden right now heading for Alaska. Generally she's in good shape, crew is helpful and friendly, but there are still problems. There was a bucket for a ceiling leak right outside our cabin (D728) yesterday. This morning we woke up to a small wet spot on the carpet right outside the bathroom door. According to our room steward and a supervisor (from either housekeeper or engineering?), they have found and repaired the leak and will get a fan into our cabin to dry out the floor. Not a huge issue, but another sign that their problems have not been completely solved. Besides that, our only other issue has been a non-functioning hair-dryer - which all the ladies know can be a BIG problem when you're just out of the shower with wet hair. We got a replacement this morning, but not in time to prevent a very bad hair night last night!

We're still enjoying ourselves and have decided that there WILL BE NO MORE PROBLEMS for us for this cruise!

The new carpet is a nice neutral color but the starboard and port are the same unlike before where they had a red or blue stripe to tell them apart. The Horizon court is modern and fresh looking. .

On the Sapphire - they had different color dots on either side. Otherwise, it looked the same. Since the Sapphire and Golden were at dry dock the same month and same shipyard, I am guessing they got the same carpet.

My exact words.

We have decided to stick with the Ruby sailing Sydney to L.A. in Apr 2020, instead of going on the Golden in Apr 2019, same itinerary. We prefer to be on a newer ship when the cruise is a long voyage (28 days).

Thank you for your replies :)

I would go with the ship with less people and a covered pool for a longer voyage.

Unfortunately more problems to report. They fixed the one leak in our hallway, but just now we discovered a new larger wet carpet spot in the hallway onthe other side of our doorway, with evidence of some water running down the wall. Our poor room steward is off to report it, can tell he’s frustrated with all the problems. Another issue – there are only 2 aft elevators that go all the way up to Decks 15-17(including Skywalkers) and down to the aft Canaletto Dining Room. One of the two has been out since we sailed, resulting in long waits(I’ve heard over 45 minutes for everyone trying to leave the diningroom after dinner) for an elevator. There are many older people on this cruise with walkers, so they can't use the stairs.

On the bright side, weather is cool but beautiful skies, nice calm seas, lots of activities and, for the most part, happy and helpful staff and good food.

I got off the Golden yesterday. There were buckets every where for ceiling drips. In my corridor on Fiesta deck and around many shops. The new carpet is a nice neutral color but the starboard and port are the same unlike before where they had a red or blue stripe to tell them apart. .

They should use red and blue buckets to help passengers identify the side of the ship.

I feel like princess should make me employee of the month for this suggestion!

Unfortunately more problems to report. They fixed the one leak in our hallway, but just now we discovered a new larger wet carpet spot in the hallway onthe other side of our doorway, with evidence of some water running down the wall. Our poor room steward is off to report it, can tell he’s frustrated with all the problems. Another issue – there are only 2 aft elevators that go all the way up to Decks 15-17(including Skywalkers) and down to the aft Canaletto Dining Room. One of the two has been out since we sailed, resulting in long waits.

That elevator was out of order on my sailing Sept 8 - 11 so apparently there is a reason they can't fix it. It took forever to get the one remaining elevator up to Skywalkers at 5 PM for the Happy Hour.

On the Sapphire - they had different color dots on either side. Otherwise, it looked the same. Since the Sapphire and Golden were at dry dock the same month and same shipyard, I am guessing they got the same carpet.

If there were different dots I sure didn't notice them. Maybe they ran out of dots before they got to the Golden? ;p

As to buckets and leaks....We were in a window suite on the Fiesta deck, so I was out and about on that deck on a very regular basis and never saw a bucket or a wet carpet. I can't explain why there are leaks 2 weeks later.

Yes, one of the aft elevators was out of order. Per crew, it has not worked for months. It did take a while to get to Skywalkers, depending on the time of day.

That elevator in question (Starboard side aft bank) was shut down on the final night of my Golden cruise seemingly concurrent with a flood in the elevator lobby outside Skywalkers. That was the night of June 1. While disappointing to hear that apparently it has not worked since, that was the only mechanical or condition issue I noticed on the cruise. I would happily sail Golden again as her final seasons with Princess approach.

Even worse elevator news today - the only other aft elevator that goes up to Skywalkers and down all the way to the aft dining room is now also out of order. Since we can't handle 3 flights of stairs (from Deck 14 to 17), that means Skywalkers will be off limits for us the rest of the trip. It will be interesting to see how they handle the bigger problem - those passengers who cannot use stairs who are assigned to the aft dining room.

Oh my gosh. We were on the Golden during our Japan transpacific cruise in April 2018. Our cabin was on Aloha Deck towards the front. Toilets were constantly blocked!!!!! Water was dripping from the ceilings!!!! Buckets were everywhere!!! Our whole area had a fishy odour almost daily. We could smell food cooking through the vents. I complained several times about the food smell and was offered a free specialty restaurant dinner which we of course took. I was not impressed by the condition of the room either. Knobs kept falling off cabinets, we had only cold water rather than hot in our shower on numerous occasions. She is an older ship. However, we quite enjoyed visiting Japan, Korea and the transpacific voyage to Alaska. Food was great and so was the entertainment. We had a change of cruise director during the cruise and we were not overly impressed with the new guy.

Oh my! I'm a little concerned reading this as I've booked a 11/24/2019 Melbourne to New Zealand cruise .... but that's 15 months away so they should get it right by then, right?

Is Golden going to POST Australia?

How are things now on the Golden. Did they get any of the two elevators that go to Skywalker's working? How is the entertainment, food, etc.,. We are on the Golden next.

Thanks May :p:p:p

The new show about dance from Steven Swartz was excellent last week. The black comedian was doing the typical racist shtick which I walked out on. They had him doing 2 shows, I skipped the second show. The food has declined on all Princess ships. The always available menu removed the good alternatives like steak medallions or a steak and replaced that beef with a hamburger! There was a lot of activities, a great cruise director.

How are things now on the Golden. Did they get any of the two elevators that go to Skywalker's working? How is the entertainment, food, etc.,. We are on the Golden next.

Thanks May :p:p:p

We had one of the two elevators working on the 8/11 and 8/18 cruises. The other elevator had been out of order at least since June.

We had Club Class dining and found the food quite good. Yes, removing the beef medallions was a mistake. Entertainment was typical Princess--not so hot.