Service charge increase fleetwide

Rileyz

Its an increase of $.51 per day per person on my upcomming cruise in Haven. I think we can handle it.

Exactly. The staff earns it and that extra $3.57 pp on my week long cruse won't really be noticed. Just to show I'm a nice guy I might actually round it up to an even $4.00. I am by no means made of money but when I'm on vacation I am not really go to sweat a little extra money hear and there. If it really bothers some people that much just have a couple of extra drink on the UBP and that will make up for it.

Glad to hear I'm not alone! I'm also on a sabbatical from NCL. There are too many other cruise lines I like just as much if not more, that seem to appreciate my business more than NCL. It's a shame because overall I like the NCL ships and product, but I don't like the way it's run from the Miami office. After reading some of Del Rio's comments to the stockholders about getting more $$ out of customers, it really turned me off. I realize all cruise lines are out to make money, they are just not as off-putting about it as NCL is. It's downright offensive how NCL has been little by little gouging the customer. Most people of course don't realize it or don't think it's a big deal, because NCL does it rather sneaky. Those of us that have been around for a while certainly notice it, and all the little increases and added fees add up.

I said 2 years ago that Del Rio's plan would backfire in about one year. But I was so wrong. The prices keep going up and up and NCL keeps raising prices every 6 months. I have not cruised on NCL in a few years. I used to cruise with them twice a year. If I was to book the exact same cruise I did several years ago it would cost me over twice as much more. And I was sailing on a new ship (Getaway). It just blows my mind how they fill these ships at these prices. I keep saying NCL will finally go too far but it never happens so I stop saying that LOL ;)

I said 2 years ago that Del Rio's plan would backfire in about one year. But I was so wrong. The prices keep going up and up and NCL keeps raising prices every 6 months. I have not cruised on NCL in a few years. I used to cruise with them twice a year. If I was to book the exact same cruise I did several years ago it would cost me over twice as much more. And I was sailing on a new ship (Getaway). It just blows my mind how they fill these ships at these prices. I keep saying NCL will finally go too far but it never happens so I stop saying that LOL ;)

I feel ya... but every time I look at the prices and say "HOW MUCH!?!?!" I then price a similar week to a similar place with a similar level of inclusions and the cost is ~20% higher than the cruise that was giving me the headache in the first place... QED: NCL can sell their products quite comfortably at these prices; the value proposition is hard to beat.

I feel ya... but every time I look at the prices and say "HOW MUCH!?!?!" I then price a similar week to a similar place with a similar level of inclusions and the cost is ~20% higher than the cruise that was giving me the headache in the first place... QED: NCL can sell their products quite comfortably at these prices; the value proposition is hard to beat.

That is where I would disagree. Cruising used to be the best bang for the buck and best value for a vacation even for a family. The price for 4 in a balcony cabin plus excursions plus gratuities plus all the extras could yield the family many options similar or far less expensive at a Disney resort or ocean front cottages. But to each their own I guess.

Does anyone know if it just US prices going up? We have a 13night cruise Miami to London booked via an Australia TA. According to NCL website a discretionary charge of A$18.81 AUD per person per day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account.

That's USD$14.48 per day per person. Balcony Cabin, 3 people.

No email from NCL or our TA re an increase.

I have one more cruise booked on NCL for March 2019 and then I will give it a break. Priced the new Encor for 2020 March and it came in at $800 more(for two) than the Getaway in 2019.

Will try land based 5 star all inclusive, they are approximately $1000 less total cost when you factor in flights hotel to arrive day before and rental car.

Not saying I will never cruise again, just finally reached the point where I find there might be better alternatives.

You can only go so far with constantly chiseling away at peoples pockets before they start looking elsewhere.

I will say however that I have enjoyed every cruise I have ever taken on NCL.

I never pay them. I tip the staff whom I feel deserve a tip for their service. I've actually tipped close to the service charge on several days throughout a cruise, so it's not like I'm mean or anything.

I wonder if the "Included" service charges in the All Inclusive find their way to the staff?

Cruising used to be the best bang for the buck and best value for a vacation even for a family.

It still is IMHO.

We just got back from some down time in Key West. I don't want to tell you what that cost. And even if the ships shows are not terribly exciting, they are there for your enjoyment. The only thing that moved was my feet, I saw some of the same things over and over. It was nice and we had a good time, but cruising really has so many more bubbles.

I never pay them. I tip the staff whom I feel deserve a tip for their service. I've actually tipped close to the service charge on several days throughout a cruise, so it's not like I'm mean or anything.

You’ve actually tipped “close” to the service charge on “several” days???? WOW!!! Just WOW!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think he meant that only 1-2% is actually distributed to the staff.

It’s actually almost all distributed to the staff but whether or not it just pays their regular wage or is a gratuity on top of their wage is what most people are concerned with. Me... I’m not concerned with it. I just consider it part of my fare and done with it. Whatever NCL does with it respect to the crew is between them. Because we all know if they did away with the DSC they would just increase the fare. No one would be saving any money. In fact some would be paying more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCL makes it very difficult to like them. They are the kings of extra fees and subtle price increases (drinks, speciality restaurants, etc). Enough is enough. If I thought for one minute the crew was receiving the extra gratuity I wouldn't mind, but more than one told me with the last increase they saw not an extra dime. This is basically a way for NCL to instantly increase their profitability. I hope it eventually gets to a point that people have had enough and book away. That is the only thing that will prevent it from continuing to happen.

Difficult for you maybe. Not for me and the millions of other passengers that keep booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really want to know if the staff gets this money. I have no problem with it if that’s the case but I doubt it honestly.

It is a service charge. It is not a gratuity, and does nto go directly to the staff. NCL claims to use a different payment policy than people think. They supposedly pay their staff real wages and do not rely on gratuities. I have no idea if that is true or not, but if you read the language about service charges it is clear that not all of that money goes directly to the crew.

I don’t get the constant fuss of where the money goes. If the crew is treated so bad or worse than in their own countries then NCL will not have one soon. It is not my concern I am there for a vacation.

I am more than happy to tip extra when a crew member gives good service.

So far I have been extremely pleased with the crew on all NCL ships that I have been on, they deserve nothing but praise.

I always calculate total cost versus total cost, don’t care what you want to call it, gratuity, service charge; port tax whatever, it all translates into dollars on my credit card.

I have no loyalty to any cruise line and plan on trying a land based all inclusive as an alternate in 2020.

I’ll see how it goes, if I don’t like it I will be back to comparing which cruise line will give me the best over all value.

We were looking at possibly doing Sky for a shorter getaway next winter and it would cost more than an all inclusive... $200 for dsc on top of that is a big nope. We'll try another line or just do an all inclusive.

We really like NCL's product but there is a tipping point with price.

The UK has an "all inclusive" fare now that includes the daily service charges and the free promos really are free (no promo grats charged). Some complain that it is more expensive than the old way, but I haven't really seen any proof that it is any more expensive per cruise than the general price increases we are all seeing.

Don't the cruises originating in Oz do the same thing now for Australians?

I think they should include all of it in the main fare. Until then I just price the total cost of the cruise, all the extra charges included, by doing mock bookings. Its not hard.

I know I am new here and all but it is 50¢ a day. I'll pay it and I have no concern at all where it goes. NCL has given me no reason to doubt their word, so I am not going to make any irrational assumptions and I choose not to let something so insignificant ruin a great cruise experience.

I suspect a change in the ability to adjust the Discretionary Service Charge may be coming soon. NCL keeps jacking the charge up and from all the information I have gathered, the crew is not being rewarded with these increases. More and more passengers seem to be adjusting their Discretionary Service Charge and I have a feeling NCL is looking very hard on how to limit or eliminate the ability.

Source: Dozens of cruises on NCL and many crew I consider friends who seem to tell me the truth about what actually happens at NCL.

I'm sure Frank Del Rio has been scratching his head trying to figure out how to make the DSC mandatory. But it's going to be tough to do. He can make it harder to remove DSC, but he'll not want to make the DSC mandatory, at least not yet.

DSC can only be considered "gratuities" if it is voluntary.

Here's why cruise lines don't want DSC mandatory:Many of the lower level crew is paid a base salary of around $50 per month; the rest of their guaranteed salary is from DSC "gratuities."A big reason the majority of the crew's(lower level crew members like waiters and room stewards) salary is from gratuities is because of workman's comp. When a worker is hurt on-the-job and unable to work, the cruise line is only on the hook for the employee's base salary, not their total salary.

The good news is there has been several lawsuits challenging this workman comp practice. Additionally, with all the new ship builds coming on line over the next few years, CEOs have realized recruiting and maintaining a quality crew is going to be more challenging. They are going to have to treat the crew better.

As long as the stiffs that claim they pay cash instead remove the service charge it will continue to go up to offset.

Really cannot wait until it becomes mandatory - no exception

Why not just remove them and embed in cruise fare? They have done this in Australia

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

The UK has an "all inclusive" fare now that includes the daily service charges and the free promos really are free (no promo grats charged). Some complain that it is more expensive than the old way, but I haven't really seen any proof that it is any more expensive per cruise than the general price increases we are all seeing.

Don't the cruises originating in Oz do the same thing now for Australians?

I think they should include all of it in the main fare. Until then I just price the total cost of the cruise, all the extra charges included, by doing mock bookings. Its not hard.

On certain lines in oz, carnival p&o, Celebrity, rci have all removed them and included in fare. No one complaining about it. The one cruise I did out of Australia on p&o was probably the best service we have seen, not over the top but just efficient.

I'm sure Frank Del Rio has been scratching his head trying to figure out how to make the DSC mandatory. But it's going to be tough to do. He can make it harder to remove DSC, but he'll not want to make the DSC mandatory, at least not yet.

DSC can only be considered "gratuities" if it is voluntary.

Here's why cruise lines don't want DSC mandatory:Many of the lower level crew is paid a base salary of around $50 per month; the rest of their guaranteed salary is from DSC "gratuities."A big reason the majority of the crew's(lower level crew members like waiters and room stewards) salary is from gratuities is because of workman's comp. When a worker is hurt on-the-job and unable to work, the cruise line is only on the hook for the employee's base salary, not their total salary.

The good news is there has been several lawsuits challenging this workman comp practice. Additionally, with all the new ship builds coming on line over the next few years, CEOs have realized recruiting and maintaining a quality crew is going to be more challenging. They are going to have to treat the crew better.

So all those of us who want tips removed and embedded into the fare are pro the workers conditions. Those who want dsc to remain but whinge about people removing them are hurting the crew. I will never understand why people want tips to remain, just to make yourself feel special