Foldable fabric cubes

Fishymom

I have seen mention of cruisers using the foldable fabric covered cubes in other ships staterooms, to help convert the closets shelves into more useable drawers.

Has anyone on the Escape or Bliss used these successfully?

What size?

We have used foldable mesh cubes when we had an inside cabin on NCL, but we did not use them in the closet. We used one for a hamper. We also have used one as an additional space to put clean clothes when we stay 3 persons to a cabin. But we set up the cubes outside of the closet. We also use magnetic hooks to hang lightweight clothing items on.

I have seen mention of cruisers using the foldable fabric covered cubes in other ships staterooms, to help convert the closets shelves into more useable drawers. Has anyone on the Escape or Bliss used these successfully?

What size?

Totally unnecessary. It will be less volume to store in a liner than just using the shelf, full width, full depth.

i use the mesh ones and it is great to pack with them and they can be used on the shelves. I like them I have alreay packed things like shoes beach wear and tops without getting the cases out

I can't fathom why anyone would need these. Just stack your stuff on the shelves. Why would drawers be needed?

So that’s a solid No, that you haven’t used them. Can’t fathom why you commented.

So that’s a solid No, that you haven’t used them. Can’t fathom why you commented.

Because I find this fascinating. If you don't end up using them, I do hope you'll report back after your cruise to let us know how you managed for 7 days with no drawers.

Because I find this fascinating. If you don't end up using them, I do hope you'll report back after your cruise to let us know how you managed for 7 days with no drawers.

This isn't my first NCL cruise... I have used the shelves many times and and I think its a pretty awful design, so cubes it will be!

Edited by Fishymom

I use about 9 “ squares - 1 for balcony, 2 for OV and 3 for inside. Unnecessary for Suites and above.

I used 1 large on a balcony and use it to throw clutches, hats, scarfs, messages, first aid kit, hair curling brush, etc. a myriad of uses. Fits next to makeup stool.

FYI ... balcony on Bliss has 3 large deep shelves plus one which has safe. Also has 1 above hanging clothes.

There are also some shelves under cabs under mirror. One has 2 triangular shelves, the other 3 fairly (IMHO) useless shelves that are maybe 6 inches deep. Think hankies, well folded underwear, etc.

A larger problem is table space so I also bring a rectangular box about 3x3x13 that I use for makeup.

Two very large drawers are available under the couch.

NCL no longer places life jackets in cabin so that leaves los of extra space. I put beach towels, coffee maker and other sundry items that collect. Have fun !!

I have seen mention of cruisers using the foldable fabric covered cubes in other ships staterooms, to help convert the closets shelves into more useable drawers.

Has anyone on the Escape or Bliss used these successfully?

What size?

Normally I don’t take anything but when we had DD in the cabin I took one of these and it worked perfectly....didn’t take much rod space and it was great for easy accessibility, plus you wouldn’t have to worry what height are the shelves.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Simplify-6-Shelf-Sweater-Organizer/30644275

Re: "NCL no longer places life jackets in cabin so that leaves los of extra space. I put beach towels, coffee maker and other sundry items that collect. Have fun !!"

Just got off the Breakaway. Our life jackets were stored under the bed.

On the Escape, there are no drawers, so small items like underwear, scarves, etc. tend to be a messy pile on a shelf. Since we were three people in a balcony cabin, the cubes were extremely useful.

I found cubes at the dollar store: they were a little flimsy, but that made them lighter and easier to pack. They were not mesh, but we didn't need to see inside them so that worked out OK.

I used mostly the large (9-10") and a few of the shorter ones (5x10). I think I had 6 cubes overall.

On the Escape, there are no drawers, so small items like underwear, scarves, etc. tend to be a messy pile on a shelf. Since we were three people in a balcony cabin, the cubes were extremely useful.

I found cubes at the dollar store: they were a little flimsy, but that made them lighter and easier to pack. They were not mesh, but we didn't need to see inside them so that worked out OK.

I used mostly the large (9-10") and a few of the shorter ones (5x10). I think I had 6 cubes overall.

Thank you! I went to the Dollar store and picked some up!

I can't fathom why anyone would need these. Just stack your stuff on the shelves. Why would drawers be needed?

I plan to bring them since I am traveling with my 2 grandchildren. My daughter and I find the better organized we keep the limited space available, the more comfortable we are. Each child will have his/her own color coded baskets for their things. Another thing is my daughter and I are both shorties so this way we do not risk items from piles getting pushed to the back of that uppermost shelf where we cannot see them.

I plan to bring them since I am traveling with my 2 grandchildren. My daughter and I find the better organized we keep the limited space available, the more comfortable we are. Each child will have his/her own color coded baskets for their things. Another thing is my daughter and I are both shorties so this way we do not risk items from piles getting pushed to the back of that uppermost shelf where we cannot see them.

I see. We usually have 3 of us in a cabin (2 adults and an adult sized teen), and we probably use about 1/2 of the available storage space, and we are pretty heavy packers. (4 big suitcases for the 3 of us.) Never had an issue with keeping our stuff organized, and certainly no issue finding places for things, but I see from this thread that not everyone is the same. :confused:

I see. We usually have 3 of us in a cabin (2 adults and an adult sized teen), and we probably use about 1/2 of the available storage space, and we are pretty heavy packers. (4 big suitcases for the 3 of us.) Never had an issue with keeping our stuff organized, and certainly no issue finding places for things, but I see from this thread that not everyone is the same. :confused:

Indeed. If I were traveling with my 6 foot tall DH instead of my 5'3" DD, I would probably not concern myself about the use of the top shelf, but at 5'0", I have always had to consider what I can reach as a factor. As I said, the cloth cubes allow me to use that top shelf independently without concern.

Traveling with a toddler is a whole other ballgame. A quick trip to Walmart might mean taking more than you need because life with an infant or toddler is so unpredictable. I camp with my grandchildren and have foldable fabric cubes of sundry items. I take them on vacations, too, and they help me stay organized, while also allowing the 8 almost 9 year old a modicum of independence.

I also am an extreme couponer with a stockpile of items I got for free or pennies, so I tend to not want to buy things for travel at jacked up prices while I am traveling and thus prepare for every eventuality (first aid, allergy meds, wipes, Tide and Chlorox pens, laundry pods, Lysol,etc.). Now, my husband is a different story. He will pay the jacked up prices for the convenience. That's OK with me as it is his money. :DI am fortunate that my salary from teaching and my couponing allow me to travel and treat my grandchildren to these trips. Therefore, I am more frugal. To each his own.

Indeed. If I were traveling with my 6 foot tall DH instead of my 5'3" DD, I would probably not concern myself about the use of the top shelf, but at 5'0", I have always had to consider what I can reach as a factor. As I said, the cloth cubes allow me to use that top shelf independently without concern.

Traveling with a toddler is a whole other ballgame. A quick trip to Walmart might mean taking more than you need because life with an infant or toddler is so unpredictable. I camp with my grandchildren and have foldable fabric cubes of sundry items. I take them on vacations, too, and they help me stay organized, while also allowing the 8 almost 9 year old a modicum of independence.

I also am an extreme couponer with a stockpile of items I got for free or pennies, so I tend to not want to buy things for travel at jacked up prices while I am traveling and thus prepare for every eventuality (first aid, allergy meds, wipes, Tide and Chlorox pens, laundry pods, Lysol,etc.). Now, my husband is a different story. He will pay the jacked up prices for the convenience. That's OK with me as it is his money. :DI am fortunate that my salary from teaching and my couponing allow me to travel and treat my grandchildren to these trips. Therefore, I am more frugal. To each his own.

I gotcha. And I should add that my previously mentioned adult-sized teen just hit 6'5" at age 15, so he can reach anything. LOL!

This isn't my first NCL cruise... I have used the shelves many times and and I think its a pretty awful design, so cubes it will be!

I agree with you. I have small things that get lost in the shelves. Also we are traveling with 2 babies one 14 months and one 3, so they can keep their little toys in them. I'm glad you posted this, a great idea. Happy sailing:)

Bought ours on Amazon already. Saw the same YouTube video someone put the pic of above and my wife said immediately “we need those”. We got six canvas ones, beige with handles, for $15.76 on Prime. They have a stiff bottom piece that keeps them standing once unfolded even without anything in them. Take up very little room in the suitcase. Inside dimensions are 11” X 10.5” X 10.5”.

Huh. I never thought about taking the bigger ones. I'd found some of the smaller, rectangular ones mentioned at the dollar store that saved my sanity on my Alaska trip - and I was traveling solo! But it was so helpful for all my little stuff.

With my next trip being my mom and I in an Oceanview... I really like this idea! Thanks for bringing it up :)

When we used to travel with little ones, I would pack items in ziplock bags (usually gallon sized) for the kids. That way, underwear, socks, and color-coordinated outfits would be in one place. They could just pull out the bag and have everything they need. Stopped a lot of fussing--especially if they helped pick out the outfits as they were packed! The bag could then be used for any wet clothes on the way home. Some of the bags saw multiple trips, since I would just fold them up and pack for the trip home, ready to use again! They would easily fit upright in a cube, I'd think! Easy-peasy to have a different colored cube for each child.

When we used to travel with little ones, I would pack items in ziplock bags (usually gallon sized) for the kids. That way, underwear, socks, and color-coordinated outfits would be in one place. They could just pull out the bag and have everything they need. Stopped a lot of fussing--especially if they helped pick out the outfits as they were packed! The bag could then be used for any wet clothes on the way home. Some of the bags saw multiple trips, since I would just fold them up and pack for the trip home, ready to use again! They would easily fit upright in a cube, I'd think! Easy-peasy to have a different colored cube for each child.

Exactly what I do!

I love them, one cube may have all my misc stuff (meds, first aid kit, plugs, fan machine, etc) one cube swimming things, one for underwear, one for clothes. takes 2 minutes to put them on the shelves or drawers and I am unpacked. I can very quickly find what I want with out digging through stuff.