Unlimited Drink Options Included with other lines: will you still book Carnival?

pcrum

any drink on the menu that is $15 and under and if over $15, you only pay price difference. Noen of us were drinking drinks that went over $15. I love Carnival and up until now, they have been our only cruise line. But, like others, we are branching out. We are both Diamond, still book our share of Carnival cruises, but finding there are great deals out there.

Pat

If branching out is what bakes your cake, power to you.

Which NCL ships do not have for pay restaurants? Are these free now? You cannot compare a TA to regular cruise, apples and oranges.
You get two perks if you book a balcony so I'm assuming he had the beverage and speciality dining package promo which CCL gives neither.

We usually sail on Carnival and love it, but wanted to try an NCL cruise with some of the “free” choices thrown in to the price. My husband and I are not huge drinkers so NCL didn’t lose any money by offering that promotion to us! I definitely did not like the fact that no water, special coffees, or bottled drinks were included in the unlimited drink package. Since most of the NCL cruisers choose the unlimited drink package, the bars got quite busy. We did notice that it took quite a while for an ordered drink in the Specialty restaurants to get delivered to the table. There are 2 things that haven’t been mentioned yet in any of the posts so far in this thread. The prices for getting bottled water in your room on NCL are high. A 6 pack of 1 liter Aquafina are $14.95–12 pack is $27.95–24 pack is $44.95. That is much higher than what Carnival charges. It was very inconvenient to have to stand in line for a glass of water and have cups of water in the cabin’s small fridge instead of a capped bottle. Second, when we boarded the NCL ship-the Pearl in Seattle-and ordered drinks right away, there was a tax added to each drink. I can’t remember if they called it a port tax or a state tax, but the waiter said it would be in effect until about 11:00 pm the first night. That tax ended up being between $1-2 dollars per drink! We found our balcony room was smaller and had less storage space than comparable Carnival rooms that we have had. That unlimited drink program wasn’t a good fit for our consumption habits and didn’t justify the higher room rates for us. We would be better off sailing Carnival and just paying for drinks individually. It was interesting to try it to see how the program worked, though.

We usually sail on Carnival and love it, but wanted to try an NCL cruise with some of the “free” choices thrown in to the price. My husband and I are not huge drinkers so NCL didn’t lose any money by offering that promotion to us! I definitely did not like the fact that no water, special coffees, or bottled drinks were included in the unlimited drink package. Since most of the NCL cruisers choose the unlimited drink package, the bars got quite busy. We did notice that it took quite a while for an ordered drink in the Specialty restaurants to get delivered to the table. There are 2 things that haven’t been mentioned yet in any of the posts so far in this thread. The prices for getting bottled water in your room on NCL are high. A 6 pack of 1 liter Aquafina are $14.95–12 pack is $27.95–24 pack is $44.95. That is much higher than what Carnival charges. It was very inconvenient to have to stand in line for a glass of water and have cups of water in the cabin’s small fridge instead of a capped bottle. Second, when we boarded the NCL ship-the Pearl in Seattle-and ordered drinks right away, there was a tax added to each drink. I can’t remember if they called it a port tax or a state tax, but the waiter said it would be in effect until about 11:00 pm the first night. That tax ended up being between $1-2 dollars per drink! We found our balcony room was smaller and had less storage space than comparable Carnival rooms that we have had. That unlimited drink program wasn’t a good fit for our consumption habits and didn’t justify the higher room rates for us. We would be better off sailing Carnival and just paying for drinks individually. It was interesting to try it to see how the program worked, though.

Carnival also charges tax if leaving from a port where sales tax is charged (and I believe they do this even for drinks obtained under Cheers).

Carnival also charges tax if leaving from a port where sales tax is charged (and I believe they do this even for drinks obtained under Cheers).

They do. It’s just regular state liquor tax. All cruise lines have to collect while in the states waters.

Just to clarify, while it can be pre purchased ahead of time, if cheers is taken, it kicks in day 2 for New York and Galveston. Day one is pay by drink, just like everyone else (and pay the tax in addition to the Carnival price).

Just to clarify, while it can be pre purchased ahead of time, if cheers is taken, it kicks in day 2 for New York and Galveston. Day one is pay by drink, just like everyone else (and pay the tax in addition to the Carnival price).

I believe this is also true for Texas, isn't it?

They do. It’s just regular state liquor tax. All cruise lines have to collect while in the states waters.

So, is it only an extra tax from the originating port, because we weren’t charged an extra tax on any of the drinks we had while in Alaskan waters? I have never seen anyone mention this tax before on the first day of drinking. That would add quite a bit to your bill for a couple who starts drinking consistently the the first day on the ship!

Which NCL ships do not have for pay restaurants? Are these free now? You cannot compare a TA to regular cruise, apples and oranges.

The two freebies we chose was 4 specialty dining and unlimited drinks package paying $12.50 a day per person which was the Grat. for drinks and dining. We are taking another TA with NCL in April because of the price. I love Carnival and will continue cruising them but after 30 cruises with them, have learned there is more fish in the sea!!

Pat

I'm not 100% familiar with MSC. I do plan on testing them one day, and I appreciate their status match. Isn't that the plan that gives you 12 vouchers for well drinks?

Status match means whatever tier you have with a loyalty program, they will match it. Example, we are Diamond with Carnival so will get balck with MSC which is their top tier. We will receive more perks with MSC than with Carnival which is crazy! We don't cruise just for perks, but they are nice. Carnival doesn't seem to appreciate the loyalty of regular customers anymore.

Pat

So, is it only an extra tax from the originating port, because we weren’t charged an extra tax on any of the drinks we had while in Alaskan waters? I have never seen anyone mention this tax before on the first day of drinking. That would add quite a bit to your bill for a couple who starts drinking consistently the the first day on the ship!

As I understand it once you've left the taxing jurisdiction's waters you stop paying tax, so once you are in "federal" waters you shouldn't have to pay tax. The distance is going to vary by port (for instance on Pride we paid tax until we were out of the Chesapeake Bay). Some jurisdictions prohibit the sale of packages which is why Cheers doesn't start until the next day (probably because it's easier for accounting purposes).

Status match means whatever tier you have with a loyalty program, they will match it. Example, we are Diamond with Carnival so will get balck with MSC which is their top tier. We will receive more perks with MSC than with Carnival which is crazy! We don't cruise just for perks, but they are nice. Carnival doesn't seem to appreciate the loyalty of regular customers anymore.

Pat

That is crazy but true. MSC wants you to come aboard and are doing all they can to attract customers. Carnival and their weak loyalty program makes it appear that they could care less if you ever come back. MSC got us aboard and we loved it. I will say there isn't a loyalty plan on any line that means enough to give that particular line my business every year.

I definately agree, the longer the cruise the better the deal with a drink package. You're only paying a small service charge on NCL every day versus a full price daily charge when purchasing drink package like Cheers. $428 for our 15 day versus $1800 for Cheers on a similar Carnival cruise. The longer the cruise the more valuable a "free" drink package becomes comparatively speaking. $15 service charge daily on NCL versus $56 a day for Cheers. You can see how quickly the cost gap increases with each day. The difference or savings on a three day cruise for two wouldn't be as apparent when comparing a free drink package fee to Cheers daily as it is on a 15 day. BTW, MSC blows Carnival away, we love the Seaside ..... and I can say that even with a Carnival cruise booked at this moment. We are loyal to none.

I wonder what the consumption of alcohol looks like on a longer cruise vs a shorter cruise. I could never in my life justify $1800 for Cheers, nor would I want to drink that much over a two week period. Carnival should really tier the prices. I think paying $60 a day for a 3 day cruise is a no-brainer vs a 14 day cruise.

That is crazy but true. MSC wants you to come aboard and are doing all they can to attract customers. Carnival and their weak loyalty program makes it appear that they could care less if you ever come back. MSC got us aboard and we loved it. I will say there isn't a loyalty plan on any line that means enough to give that particular line my business every year.

MSC is willing to lose money to get established in the US. They failed miserably in their last attempt. Being privately held, they don't have annoying shareholders to deal with. They make a fortune off of commercial shipping and can afford it. They are poaching all the cruisers they can, but it won't last. Enjoy it while you can.

Cruises on Carnival don't expire. If you don't cruise on MSC at least once every three years, you start over at the bottom rung. Carnival leaves the light on for the prodigal cruiser.

Pat

How do you like that free laundry on MSC?

The two freebies we chose was 4 specialty dining and unlimited drinks package paying $12.50 a day per person which was the Grat. for drinks and dining. We are taking another TA with NCL in April because of the price. I love Carnival and will continue cruising them but after 30 cruises with them, have learned there is more fish in the sea!!

Pat

Understand, I was just questioning your comment regarding nothing to be able to spend OBC credit on and that all of the “for pay” options. TA’s are great deals from a price per day perspective.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cruises on Carnival don't expire. If you don't cruise on MSC at least once every three years, you start over at the bottom rung. Carnival leaves the light on for the prodigal cruiser.

Neither of the two programs give you much in the way of perks unless you are Diamond on Carnival which would equate to Black on MSC. My Carnival Platinum got me gold on MSC. The only perks worth anything on MSC was a basic cheap hat as a gift, a free picture taken with rhe captain and access to their spa area. Since I had booked an inside cabin in their Yacht Club, the spa area perk was useless to me since I already had access via the Yacht Club. Black got you a better hat, a ship made out of chocolate and a free night of specialty dining.

I wish Carnival would offer BOGO on pics and specialty dining to Platinum guests which would generate additional revenue for them and also be considered a perk, but that is too forward thinking for Carnival.

How do you like that free laundry on MSC?

You are right, I don't get that perk on MSC but many others I don't get on Carnival. I guess I was once a Carnival cheerleader thinking I didn't want to cruise any other line but have now found out how foolish that way of thinking was. I have 4 cruises booked right now, 2 on Carnival, 1 on NCL, 1 on MSC. I am looking forward to everyone of them!!

Pat

Carnival doesn't seem to appreciate the loyalty of regular customers anymore.

Pat

None of the lines do. Carnival wants the blue cards so that they can get those who spend money on board and try to get them acclimated to the cruising lifestyle and hopefully retain them as future customers.

MSC is doing the same thing with their loyalty match program and did it with rock bottom pricing when bookings first opened up 2 1/2 years ago for the Seaside. It was a slap in the face of their past cruisers when newbies were given black status without having ever sailed on MSC before. It was similar to when Carnival came out with FTTF a few years ago, which was a slap in the face towards Diamonds and Platinums. Both lines want to recruit new cruisers and whatever small percentage remain loyal to that line increases the monies in the coffers for that respective cruise line.

I've looked at NCL cruises, but the fare was so much higher than CCL that it still worked out better for us to sail CCL & pay as we go. We don't drink enough to warrant paying for 2 drink packages. MSC has good fares, but when I started looking at what I had to book, the price kept going up. I think the basic one was drinks only in the dining room - not sure if it was all drinks or just beer & wine. My neighbors are going to do an RCCL trip & they are getting the drink package, but not for the whole week - apparently you can purchase a partial week.