Should I pick right or left side for balcony?

mcatmcat

True, but it has nothing to do with how a cruise ship pulls into a Port Of Call.

The actual origin of the term "port" is speculated to be because the left side of centuries old merchant sailing ships had a loading or entry port. The right side had a steering board that hung over the side of the ship (before the invention of rudders) which is where the term starboard comes from. So if the steering board hung over the right side, the boat would need to dock on its left side, or put into port on its left side.

Today's modern ships can pull up and tie up to a dock in any given Port of Call on either side.

Excellent post. We have a nautical expert amongst us. I did not know the origin of the terms "starboard" or "port."

well I think on Caribbean....the first sea day down.....if you are on Starboard you get a lot of afternoon sun....if you want more shade then Port is nice. but that really is only on the way down. and I am probably wrong but somehow that is how it is in my brain. lol.

I enjoy watching pulling into port and all the people so I prefer Starboard

Depends on whether you’re right or left handed and if you’re crossing the equator; -/

I realize you're (probably) joking, but I do have to wonder if my being left-handed has anything to do with my preference for Port side cabins... My last cruise I was Starboard and I was forever turning to the Port side and then having to backtrack. I'm booked on Port side for my next 3 cruises (maybe 4).

I have never cruised your itinerary. I have only done 4 cruises and I have always had a starboard balcony, just by chance. And I felt it would have made no difference which side we were on.

Except on the Alaska cruise. I did a Northbound cruise through the Inside Passage and I specifically wanted a starboard balcony.

Excellent post. We have a nautical expert amongst us. I did not know the origin of the terms "starboard" or "port."

Funny thing is my DH will get left and right mixed up...to my great amusement...;) but he immediately knows what I am talking about when I say port or starboard....so that is what I use.

Pick based on location on the ship first. For example hump, near an elevator, non connecting stateroom, etc. After that, I look for Starboard side. In my 31 cruises, the tendency is to dock on the starboard side. Not always, but seems mostly and like to sit on may balcony and watch pier activities. Having said that, I have done cruises where every port we docked on the port side. Go figure. But to be honest, I would look at location, and keep in mind what's above an below the cabin you pick for noise issues.

This might not help any but there is a reason why they call the left side the PORT side, just sayin.

J.

I'd guess you're thinking about the days before the rudder was invented - and the steering oar ("steer board", then "starboard") was usually rigged on the right side of the ship to make it easier for the (mainly) right-handed steersmen to handle --- with the result being that the left side was alongside any pier to avoid damage to the steering oar.

Hi

I have an opportunity to book a balcony for my next cruise. I’m doing Easter Caribbean and I was wondering if it’s better to book on the port or starboard side

Thank your

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've had both but prefer the starboard side. :)