Switched outlet in bathroom aboard Caribbean Princess?

AACJ

Since it’s pitch black in the room at night, my wife and I liketo bring two light sensing night lights, one for the room and one for thebathroom. On a past cruise a few yearsago, the bathroom outlet was switched so that when the light was on the outletwas hot, when the light was off, so was the outlet. This kinda defeated the purpose of the nightlight since it wouldn’t work during its intended purpose. I think this was a Royal Caribbean ship but not 100% sure.

So my question is, does anyone know if the outlet in the bathroom is a switched outlet or always hot on the Caribbean Princess?

Since it’s pitch black in the room at night, my wife and I liketo bring two light sensing night lights, one for the room and one for thebathroom. On a past cruise a few yearsago, the bathroom outlet was switched so that when the light was on the outletwas hot, when the light was off, so was the outlet. This kinda defeated the purpose of the nightlight since it wouldn’t work during its intended purpose. I think this was a Royal Caribbean ship but not 100% sure.

So my question is, does anyone know if the outlet in the bathroom is a switched outlet or always hot on the Caribbean Princess?

We were on the Caribbean Princess in January this year. The bathroom outlet and others worked all the time, not switched. This is where we had the toothbrush plugged.

We were on the Caribbean Princess in January this year. The bathroom outlet and others worked all the time, not switched. This is where we had the toothbrush plugged.

Ah, very good! Thanks for a quick reply!

If you do a SEARCH on this site about the outlet in the bathroom, you'll find that many cruisers have stated that the BR plug is for shavers only.
I did do a search on this forum with no real results, thank you. However, I don't know any men who would shave in the dark, so I'm not sure how they'd be able to answer the question. I'm sure the plug isn't just for shavers either, another reply I received used them for their toothbrush as well.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

We've been on the Caribbean, Regal, and Royal Princess ships. None of those cabin bathroom outlets were switched.

26989064229_b12f116dc1_b.jpg

You need to leave a card in the slot when you enter your cabin to prevent the power from going off.

24529569838_47df395147_k.jpg

Howard

We've been on the Caribbean, Regal, and Royal Princess ships. None of those cabin bathroom outlets were switched.

26989064229_b12f116dc1_b.jpg

You need to leave a card in the slot when you enter your cabin to prevent the power from going off.

24529569838_47df395147_k.jpg

Howard

We had the card thing on a Holland America cruise only, didn't affect the night light though as the card keeps the lights on only when we're in the cabin. It makes sense to help conserve electricity as they use oil as their fuel an it is not cheap! I know this from my work.

I do like your choice of clippers to keep the outlet switch open. A nice touch!

Thanks for the reply.

I did do a search on this forum with no real results, thank you. However, I don't know any men who would shave in the dark, so I'm not sure how they'd be able to answer the question. I'm sure the plug isn't just for shavers either, another reply I received used them for their toothbrush as well.

Thanks

The bathroom outlet is for low wattage items only and a nightlight certainly qualifies.

It's always powered on the CP unless they've recently rewired it.

For your nightlight in the bathroom socket, be sure the prongs are of equal size (non-polarized).

Many lights have polarized prongs which are of unequal size and will not fit into the bathroom outlet.

Off the Caribbean Princess in mid April. There is no "card in the box" to keep the lights on. The bathroom outlet is labeled "shavers only." Obviously, people use it for other things. It would not charge my phone. It is "hot" all the time--does not work on the bathroom switch.

The photos shown by hm9912 are for the Royal and Regal and probably the Majestic Princess. They are NOT for the Caribbean Princess. There is no card slot on the Caribbean Princess, and there is no cover on the bathroom outlet that needs to be propped open. On the Caribbean Princess all outlets work all the time.

I was on the Caribbean Princess in Feb and the switch was always hot. I had my electric toothbrush plugged in and the green charging light stayed on when the lights were off.

Good point.

I've never needed a night light but if you want to bring one remember to grind down the larger prong to the same size as the other.

Has anyone ever filed down a hairdryer plug and plugged it in the "shaver" only plug in the bathroom...

Has anyone ever filed down a hairdryer plug and plugged it in the "shaver" only plug in the bathroom...

Believe me, you do not want to do that.

The reason it is labeled "shaver" only is that it has a very low voltage limit. Using a hairdryer there would cause the circuit to blow which will also affect other nearby cabins.

The reason other devices such as battery chargers and night lights can work there is that those items draw very little voltage.

If you need light, why not bring a small battery operated sensor activated light. Got mine from Ikea but sure other places have them. It stays on about 30 seconds unless it’s activated again, then goes off on its own. No need to plug in anything and safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I started bringing battery powered tealights years ago , but in the past few years graduated to battery powered 3" candles …… one for the cabin and one to place on the bathroom counter, as well as a supply of replacement button batteries for them. Dollar Tree stores offer the required size of batteries for just a dollar for 2 batteries.

I find that they provide just enough light to navigate from bed to bathroom in the middle of the night, but not so bright as to wake me up too much!

It wouldn't work very long as a hair dryer is way over rated for that outlet.

The breaker would immediately trip although it wouldn't affect nearby cabins.

The OP's question got me thinking about night lights and how its rarely a topic here on CC. When Celebrity launched their Solstice Class ships they included very good night lights that were built into the bathrooms. We have long wondered why other cruise lines have not adopted a similar strategy.

Hank

The OP's question got me thinking about night lights and how its rarely a topic here on CC. When Celebrity launched their Solstice Class ships they included very good night lights that were built into the bathrooms. We have long wondered why other cruise lines have not adopted a similar strategy.

Hank

The first thing that comes to mind is the cost but if that were the case it would eliminate leaving the bathroom light on all night.

Probably an oversight like a lot other things they missed. :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...