Booking without specific names?

Woodfaerie

I would like to schedule a cruise for October with 2 of my family members but will not know which 2 can go until probably about 3 weeks before. Has anyone ever deposited a room for 3 but only had one name at booking time? (me)

When I booked my current cruise for my family of 4, my name was initially the only one on the booking and I added the other 3 afterwards. I have no idea how long it gives you to do that, but you definitely don't have to enter the names at the time of booking.

When I booked my current cruise for my family of 4, my name was initially the only one on the booking and I added the other 3 afterwards. I have no idea how long it gives you to do that, but you definitely don't have to enter the names at the time of booking.

That could be a problem if the ship is at max capacity when op wants to add names.

That could be a problem if the ship is at max capacity when op wants to add names.

I don't mean I booked a cruise for 1 person and then added 3. I booked the cruise for 4 people, but it just had placeholders for the other 3 names until I added them.

Hi,

Our son and his buddy are going Saturday on their Miracle Mexican Riviera 7 day cruise. When I booked it back in February my son was thinking he'd go with his then girlfriend. But, wasn't sure as they were having problems.

I made the reservation over the phone and explained what was going on. No problem. The 2nd person name was only listed with a last name, ours!

Over a month passed before they broke up, and his friend said he'd go :)

At that time,I called with his info.

Hope this info helps.

Bobbi

Yes, I think it might be new. I booked online and only put in my name. Once I was sure who I was going with I called and added them. It would not let me edit the second name myself. A few months before when I booked a different cruise i could one do it as one person.

I think it is possible if you book it on-line. I just booked a cruise via the website for September, which is past final payment date. I have the first two passengers listed and the 3rd is listed as TBA "My Last Name". Every time I log in to My Cruise Manager it reminds me to complete their name information but I haven't so far.

So in my experience, it will let you book it without the other passenger names. However, I don't know how long I can put off entering the 3rd person's name. Hope this helps!

When I booked it I did the TBA and last name for second person. I know I did the Early saver and it says no name changes. When I knew the second person had vacation approved at work, then I called carnival and they changed it. However all this before final payment. We usually cruise RCCL and you can change names up to around 2-3 days prior to the cruise. This is super nice because things happen...we ended up changing my daughters cabin a year ago on Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas two weeks before cruise to a Single in a double room...her friend cancelled due to work issue. So make sure to call customer service on any cruise to make sure before you book since they all have their rules.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

yes, you can book as a TBA, last name not even required, as (some) other posters have stated. i've done it. all they care about during booking is getting the money for both / all passengers booked, they don't care who sails.

as far as timing is concerned - i am not 100% sure. i think the time we did it, we never changed the TBA place holder at all. it was a question whether someone in my party would have another coming - she didn't and was solo in the cabin. it didn't matter.

what i would say though, is that given that you can book a cruise up until the DAY OF SAILING, it really should not matter. think of the 'cruise to nowhere' or with reduced ports bookings when ships are delayed and itineraries changed, etc. - you can definitely book them day of, i almost did. the only thing that matters in terms of the 'passenger manifest' etc. that is oft cited here saying it has to be days before is the actual 'final manifest' which is transmitted within 90 or so minutes of sailing.

again, not sure if there is policy about this etc. or how it pertains to specific rate types, but i know for sure you can 'add names' to a sailing the day of, if carnival wants you to book last minute, such as in the 'changed itinerary' type sailings where they get cancellations and need to fill ships.

yes, you can book as a TBA, last name not even required, as (some) other posters have stated. i've done it. all they care about during booking is getting the money for both / all passengers booked, they don't care who sails.

as far as timing is concerned - i am not 100% sure. i think the time we did it, we never changed the TBA place holder at all. it was a question whether someone in my party would have another coming - she didn't and was solo in the cabin. it didn't matter.

what i would say though, is that given that you can book a cruise up until the DAY OF SAILING, it really should not matter. think of the 'cruise to nowhere' or with reduced ports bookings when ships are delayed and itineraries changed, etc. - you can definitely book them day of, i almost did. the only thing that matters in terms of the 'passenger manifest' etc. that is oft cited here saying it has to be days before is the actual 'final manifest' which is transmitted within 90 or so minutes of sailing.

again, not sure if there is policy about this etc. or how it pertains to specific rate types, but i know for sure you can 'add names' to a sailing the day of, if carnival wants you to book last minute, such as in the 'changed itinerary' type sailings where they get cancellations and need to fill ships.

that's the thing. under early saver rules, name does matter.

How do the cruise line and Customs & Immigrations do their security screenings without knowing at least a few days in advance who is on the ship's manifest?

Roz