Bad idea: fly day of departure

Flatbush Flyer

Today, it's Delta. A couple of weeks ago, it was Southwest.

Tech outages paralyze air travel and they are unpredictable. Moreover, gone are the days of open seats "on the next flight." Delta's worldwide meltdown today has certainly stranded many cruise ship passengers who thought they'd save a buck (on pre-cruise hotels et al.) by flying to their embarkation port on the day of departure. Worst still, many of those affected also will have not taken travel insurance.

Don't be "pennywise and pound foolish."

Plan at least a day ahead arrival. Better still, choose embarkation ports that are exceptionally great to explore (e.g., Rome, Valparaiso, San Francisco, Lisbon) and get the most-for-your-money from that airfare.

As good as the advice is many people don't have the luxury of adding days to their vacation to do this.

If someone who is recognized as hardworking and demonstrably productive in their work cannot convince their employer (or otherwise plan ahead) to secure the advised buffer time, s/he should consider looking for another job.

Of course, this assumes that such requests (and/or planning) for the added time off is a not-too-often occurrence, provides employers/coworkers sufficient time to schedule accordingly and, perhaps most importantly, recognizes that there may be an associated loss of income (a reasonable cost to help "insure" their trip).

And the associated argument that kids may miss school is bogus as well. Forewarn the teacher, arrange for missed homework assignments, offer up a plan for learning objectives to be met during the trip (yes, this means visiting an antiquity rather than a zip line).

In any case, there will still be some folks who just can't swing the extra pre-cruise time. At the very least, those folks should do the research and get appropriate travel insurance. And for those whose "time off" is not an issue, to not add the extra pre-cruise day(s) is so shortsighted.

Tech outages paralyze air travel and they are unpredictable. Moreover, gone are the days of open seats "on the next flight." Delta's worldwide meltdown today has certainly stranded many cruise ship passengers who thought they'd save a buck (on pre-cruise hotels et al.) by flying to their embarkation port on the day of departure. Worst still, many of those affected also will have not taken travel insurance.

Plan at least a day ahead arrival. Better still, choose embarkation ports that are exceptionally great to explore (e.g., Rome, Valparaiso, San Francisco, Lisbon) and get the most-for-your-money from that airfare.

I found Cruise Critic when I was planning my first cruise and one of the smartest things I learned was not to fly the day of departure. We have always followed this advice. For an upcoming TA we are flying 5 days early.

Always better to be safe than sorry.

"If someone who is recognized as hardworking and demonstrably productive in their work cannot convince their employer (or otherwise plan ahead) to secure the advised buffer time, s/he should consider looking for another job." - You're obviously not familiar with today's workplace.

Roz

None of your suggested ports are any good for a Caribbean cruise.

"If someone who is recognized as hardworking and demonstrably productive in their work cannot convince their employer (or otherwise plan ahead) to secure the advised buffer time, s/he should consider looking for another job." - You're obviously not familiar with today's workplace.

Roz

This is pretty much along the lines of what I was going to say.

plan ahead, take a 6 day or 5 day cruise

choose a port close enough to drive

or any, reasonable length of cruise, hotel stay, or other arrangement that keeps you from having to rely on a favor from the boss!

that being said, my wife works and has worked for 37 years for the airlines

we are always used to planning things extra carefully and though we have had to alter plans before, it was no biggie since we planned out our trips carefully

now we have friends, that got stranded in mexico for weeks after 911, others stranded here and there, while trying to non rev and a hurricane hit, or some other disaster that ties up airline flights

such as today, those delta paying passengers will be filling up everyone else's planes meaning everyone else better be on time! :eek:

And the associated argument that kids may miss school is bogus as well. Forewarn the teacher, arrange for missed homework assignments, offer up a plan for learning objectives to be met during the trip (yes, this means visiting an antiquity rather than a zip line).

KID's school has a simple policy for extra time off for vacations: Not Allowed!

Beginning a few weeks before any upcoming school holiday, the Principal sends out a weekly email blast to all parents that taking a few extra days before or after the holiday is not allowed. Teachers are instructed not to provide make-up assignments unless there is a medical note from a doctor.

Edited by Philob

If someone who is recognized as hardworking and demonstrably productive in their work cannot convince their employer (or otherwise plan ahead) to secure the advised buffer time, s/he should consider looking for another job.

Of course, this assumes that such requests (and/or planning) for the added time off is a not-too-often occurrence, provides employers/coworkers sufficient time to schedule accordingly and, perhaps most importantly, recognizes that there may be an associated loss of income (a reasonable cost to help "insure" their trip).

In any case, there will still be some folks who just can't swing the extra pre-cruise time. At the very least, those folks should do the research and get appropriate travel insurance. And for those whose "time off" is not an issue, to not add the extra pre-cruise day(s) is so shortsighted.

Sorry but your last statement is the only one of merit IMO with your entire post. The rest makes little sense to me and is not very realistic.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

this went through my head when I heard it on the news. when we worked, if we couldn't take that extra day before the cruise we would wait until we could.

jobies-job-land-always-sunny.gif

But for real, I'm sure there are workarounds for people who can't just find a new job whenever they need their vacation accommodated. We're likely going to be doing most of our driving in the wee hours between Friday and Saturday so that we don't have to work an extra day into the trip (not an option in the first place); it should turn out okay.

Beginning a few weeks before any upcoming school holiday, the Principal sends out a weekly email blast to all parents that taking a few extra days before or after the holiday is not allowed. Teachers are instructed not to provide make-up assignments unless there is a medical note from a doctor.

I know it is off topic. But your kids go to a very good school that sends a very serious message.

I know it is off topic. But your kids go to a very good school that sends a very serious message.

Eh, I don't necessarily agree. Missing a few days of school, with maybe college as an exception, is nowhere near as detrimental as missing work. The memories from a vacation will last a lifetime. Yes, schoolwork is important, but I think most kids will live if they miss a couple of algebra lessons. You can't over-emphasize school, especially at an age where 1 or 2 days missed will never have a negative impact on a child's future.

Food for thought.... On two different trips our planes made emergency landings and we missed our connection. Once we had a cruise with no luggage as a result.

One can't plan for bad weather, plane delays or the emergency above. So if you don't fly the day before, or don't get insurance... I find it hard to be sympathetic.

Every school year they say the kids can't miss days... I pulled mine out twice a year for vacations... and their grades never slipped and they graduated the same as everyone, beg forgiveness... don't ask permission:rolleyes:

Flying into the departure city 1 day in advance may not be enough. If all those flights are canceled today, it would take a bunch of time to get everyone on another flight. We do not have the advantage of being able to drive to any US port- it would add 2 days on each end of our cruise. Sorry, but I'd rather use my hard earned vacation time for something other than driving. We do book our flight to get to departure city 1 day early, anything more would use up valuable vacation time. And we do purchase trip insurance. Most working people in the USA are only allotted so many vacation hours per year. At least that's how my company is.

Eh, I don't necessarily agree. Missing a few days of school, with maybe college as an exception, is nowhere near as detrimental as missing work. The memories from a vacation will last a lifetime. Yes, schoolwork is important, but I think most kids will live if they miss a couple of algebra lessons. You can't over-emphasize school, especially at an age where 1 or 2 days missed will never have a negative impact on a child's future.

The Principal will be the first to admit that one main reason is funding; the school is paid by the state by attendance. The school is K-8 and consistently in the past 10 years been in the top 3 in the City and top 20 in the State. Because of the high ranking its gets the minimum amount per student from the state.

Another reason is she's the Tiger Mom of Principals. :rolleyes::eek:

For years it has been the policy of our school district in Texas that missing school for a vacation is not permitted. The kid gets an unexcused absence and any work missed is given a grade of zero.

And it's not just the Principal of a school. It's district and even state-wide in some places. I don't think this person has had students in school in a VERY long time. It's considered an unexcused absence. Even with passing grades, excessive days absence can cause a student to not be promoted. Besides, some of the material covered is important for mid-quarter and final exams...even in elementary schools. The statewide testing includes all grades. and in some grades, it's pass or fail.

And it's not just the Principal of a school. It's district and even state-wide in some places. I don't think this person has had students in school in a VERY long time. It's considered an unexcused absence. Even with passing grades, excessive days absence can cause a student to not be promoted. Besides, some of the material covered is important for mid-quarter and final exams...even in elementary schools. The statewide testing includes all grades. and in some grades, it's pass or fail.

I got all C's and D's in middle school and it literally did not matter at all the second I got to high school. I really hope parents out there aren't smothering their elementary school-aged kids with schoolwork. It's one or two extra days off: They. Will. Live.

Unless it's a parochial or other private school (which could "enforce" that kind of rule with dire consequences but probably would never have such a silly restriction to begin with), do you honestly think your child (or you) would somehow be punished for visiting something like the Vatican Museum or The Alhambra or the Amazon River and writing an essay/paper about the experience(s)?

I can see the point of discouraging holiday truancy when the time might be used for solely for mindless pursuits. But, the only thing that kind of rule would accomplish (when applied to legitimate extracurricular academic pursuits) is to encourage responsible traveling families to pick non-holiday periods to vacation.

On the other hand, I bet that, if you offered an acceptable learning plan for the absence time, you might get an exception or, at least, a great handout for the next school board meeting when you ask that the principal be disciplined for such narrowmindedness.

when easter cruising when the kids were in school

we talked in advance with the prinicipal, working out a few cultural or museum thingys to visit

so in Nassau we did the pirate museum, key west, heck its hard to avoid culture there! + there's a buttload of museums

then we had the young'uns write up a journal of the week

interestingly, they lost a couple days of their break due to make up snow days!

there's where the schools turn a blind eye on the whole deal, realizing many people make travel plans based on the published schedule

NJ has a weird thing because our state teachers' association annual convention is a Thursday and Friday in November, usually the same week as election day. Many parents will take their kids out of school for the whole week (since they only miss Monday and Wednesday as school days). Some districts fight it by penalizing kids who miss those days. Others have just thrown up their hands and shortened other holidays to be closed the whole week or schedule half days with teacher in-service workshops for Monday and Wednesday. In WDW, it is informally known as "Jersey Week" because there are so many families taking advantage of off-season pricing.

Back on topic, though -- Delta's problems continue today, with another 200+ flights cancelled. When there is a major system-wide problem like they had yesterday, it can take days for the airline to get everyone back on track.

To me, what people really need to think about isn't just trying to tack on an extra day to avoid flying in day of, because even that one day buffer might not be enough. For cruises that involve flying, insurance is probably your best option. Even though Delta is refunding (since it was their system error), people who will miss cruises will still be out of luck for the cruise fare in the absence of insurance.