All Veteran World Cruisers - Questions

PCruzer

Collapsible storage bins to use on the shelf under the sink In our cabin three 11” x 11” x 5 “fit perfectly

Off topic, sorry, but you posted this on your WC "What to take or not take" list: "Collapsible storage bins to use on the shelf under the sink In our cabin three 11” x 11” x 5 “fit perfectly." I have looked everywhere and can't find a folding box that is 11 x 11 x 5. Where did you get these boxes? I find 11 x 11 x 10 and 11 x 5 x 5.

We got them from IKEA ..you can order them online

Here is a link

https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/30300281/

They fold up very nice and fit into your luggage. Only $7.00 for a set of six - 3 pair of various sizes

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

Collapsible storage bins to use on the shelf under the sink In our cabin three 11” x 11” x 5 “fit perfectly

Off topic, sorry, but you posted this on your WC "What to take or not take" list: "Collapsible storage bins to use on the shelf under the sink In our cabin three 11” x 11” x 5 “fit perfectly." I have looked everywhere and can't find a folding box that is 11 x 11 x 5. Where did you get these boxes? I find 11 x 11 x 10 and 11 x 5 x 5.

We got them from IKEA ..you can order them online

Here is a link

https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/30300281/

They fold up very nice and fit into your luggage. Only $7.00 for a set of six - 3 pair of various sizes

Or purchase them at the local dollar store.:D

Thanks for the tips about the taxes. We will talk to our accountant about it when we see him in the next couple months.

As far as clothing goes, we figured on 3 weeks worth of clothes and using the laundry, like you mentioned.

BTW, do you know anything about the visas necessary?

Most if not all (except Australia) may be handled thru HAL - no fuss, no muss. However, if you go on your own off ship for multiple days, you may have to do something else.

harry

For HAL World and Grand voyages, can the stewards store unpacked luggage somewhere or does it all need to stay in your room?

Roy

In the past, when I had a suitcase that was too high to fit under the bed, the cabin steward took it and stored it for me.

Of course, that was only one suitcase, and most people weren't needing storage, so it might have been easier to do under those circumstances.

For HAL World and Grand voyages, can the stewards store unpacked luggage somewhere or does it all need to stay in your room?

Roy

If you ask HAL, the official policy is that all your luggage must remain in your room. However, most people report that stewards are able to find storage space.

Most if not all (except Australia) may be handled thru HAL - no fuss, no muss. However, if you go on your own off ship for multiple days, you may have to do something else.

harry

HAL can get the Australian ETA but charges $35 instead of $9.95 if you do it your self. Most people get it themselves since it is so easy.

If you ask HAL, the official policy is that all your luggage must remain in your room. However, most people report that stewards are able to find storage space.

On the 2017 WC they stored items outside the room for some people.

Roy

During my world cruise, the Club HAL space was used for stored luggage. The room was literally packed floor to ceiling and side to side!

Regarding your visa question: you would be wise to obtain official information about the requirements from your travel agent, if the cruise is so booked. If not, HAL will provide the necessary visa information and that should be very accurate. But, I would also check with the individual countries websites as to information needed for visitors to be admitted. If one sees differences between what you are learning, being proactive to make clear what visa requirements exist would be wise, I think.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What about bringing wine on board? And does it have to be wine or could it be a liquor? I know that I can bring a 750ml bottle for each of us to start. We're doing Fort Lauderdale to Sydney in 2019 - would I be able to bring on additional wine from any other port visits?

What about bringing wine on board? And does it have to be wine or could it be a liquor? I know that I can bring a 750ml bottle for each of us to start. We're doing Fort Lauderdale to Sydney in 2019 - would I be able to bring on additional wine from any other port visits?

Wine only - no liquor. I brought aboard a bottle of vermouth years ago....they confiscated it at first, but I was able to sweet talk the beverage manager to get it back. Now if I want vermouth I will get the bar to sell me a big glass and then use that for my in room martinis.

You can always bring as much wine onboard as you choose. The only issue is if you pay the $18 corkage fee. You get one "free" bottle per cruise - 4 days or 114 days - one bottle.

If you go on a HAL excursion that visits a winery, you can bring back another bottle without the fee. Go to the same winery on your own - you pay the $18.

Also, any gifted bottle of wine is exempt from the corkage fee. If you get a bottle of Champagne from you TA on embarkation. You can take it to the MDR and exchange it for while. I heard you can also exchange it for soft drinks, but I have never done that.

Another question for the World Cruise veterans...I know that HAL will ship your luggage from your home to the ship. What about the return? Do they also ship it back to your home after the cruise?

Another question for the World Cruise veterans...I know that HAL will ship your luggage from your home to the ship. What about the return? Do they also ship it back to your home after the cruise?

Yes, about a week or so before disembarkation there will be something in the daily paper about signing up to ship bags. If you already have this as part of your deal with HAL then they.just send the shipping information to your room, you don't have to do anything.

If, like us, you find you need to ship more home then you originally shipped to the boat :o then you can just sign up and pay for the additional bags. Our 'deal' was four bags round trip but we decided to ship another two so had to pay for those.

You have to take all bags through customs (there will be porters). Once on the other side they'll be a truck that will load up your luggage and off they go.

You can also adjust the time it takes to get to your home if need be. For example, we didn't want to take the chance of beating our bags home so we made sure they wouldn't be delivered for several days after we got off the ship.

If, like us, you find you need to ship more home then you originally shipped to the boat :o then you can just sign up and pay for the additional bags. Our 'deal' was four bags round trip but we decided to ship another two so had to pay for those.

Most helpful, thank you. If the original offer was "unlimited baggage", and you only ship four going out, are you constrained to that number when disembarking?

Most helpful, thank you. If the original offer was "unlimited baggage", and you only ship four going out, are you constrained to that number when disembarking?

No, unlimited means unlimited. Our deal was only for four so we had to pay for the extra two.

Some of those with the unlimited deal were buying new luggage in Vietnam to ship home their newly purchased loot.:D .

No, unlimited means unlimited. Our deal was only for four so we had to pay for the extra two.

Some of those with the unlimited deal were buying new luggage in Vietnam to ship home their newly purchased loot.:D .

Great! But isn't a piece of rolling luggage usually one of the Gala night gifts/

Great! But isn't a piece of rolling luggage usually one of the Gala night gifts/

Yes, it is and that's is what we took home with us (rather then shipping). They're great but not that big.

The folks who bought in Vietnam (conveniently sold right on the dock) bought really big ones, like 26"-28". I road up in the elevator with a couple who had just scored a large one for $35.

We had to leave some of the world cruise gifts behind because we didn't have enough room along with the stuff we had bought ourselves. The bags HAL gave us would have easily fit into the suitcase this couple bought...and then some.

My husband and I have booked our first world cruise for Jan 2019. We are trying to think of everything that we have to take care of on the homefront in order to be away from our house for 113 days. Things like our mail, paying our yearly taxes, etc. Can any of you veteran world cruisers tell us what you do with all the things that need to be done at home while you are on this long cruise? Thanks!

Make your house safe - inside and out.

DON

How many pillow gifts are there on a typical full world cruise?

During my 2008 Grand World Voyage, I don't remember the exact number and am not going to get into the two plastic storage containers that contain those gifts and other memorabilia from the cruise to count, but there were too many. Some of the gifts were very useful, i.e. a quality travel alarm that I still use. Several very lovely decorative pieces which deserve a larger display area than I have in my condo, but there was one gift that was of, not poor quality, but of very poor quality that many of the WC guests' did not take with them. The most stupid gift we received was a Cruise Journal that was designed to be distributed at the start of the cruise. It was received during the final days of the GWV! (The shipping container that contained these were under others and not discovered until other containers had been removed! At least, that was the Hotel Manager's explanation at the time.)