Move-up bidding

suec12

Well a couple of weeks ago there were numerous posts about passengers being invited to bid for move-ups (after final payment I assume). So are folks still getting these invites? - I'm trying to figure out if this is the new procedure of if the old way of being able to call in and make a change for a pricier cabin for a fairly low price is still possible. Thanks!

Edited by suec12
word

i got a move up notice yesterday for my July 14 cruise. I also got one about a week ago for the July 7 cruise. Tho' the message quoted a low rate to move up one category, when I opened the link, the price was much higher than in the message. All the prices were too high for me to bite.

I received a Move-Up email today for the July 8 Summit sailing. I think if you want to call and upgrade to a higher priced cabin you will be paying the currently published cruise fare.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I got a reminder email today that I can bid to move up on our upcoming Summit to Bermuda cruise. Suggested bids for Sky Suites, Cel Suites and Royal Suites are listed in the email. Now if you go to Celebrity's web site and try and book one of those suites, they are not available......

I got a reminder email today that I can bid to move up on our upcoming Summit to Bermuda cruise. Suggested bids for Sky Suites, Cel Suites and Royal Suites are listed in the email. Now if you go to Celebrity's web site and try and book one of those suites, they are not available......

Making or being offered a bid isn't a guarantee that there is availability or would be accepted.

Basically, you're just joining a waiting list where if they have availability and you make an appealing enough offer, a deal will be done.

If not, things stay as they are.

It appears that Celebrity is offering Move Up either for (1) cabins that currently are unfilled, or (2) cabins that currently are filled but might become available at the last minute due to late cancellations, etc.

Thus, your bid could be rejected if (1) it is too low for a cabin that is available or (2) because the cabin you bid for never becomes available.

My personal view is that Celebrity should be more upfront regarding whether or not the cabin for which you're bidding is available. But, they do say there are "no guarantees," so I suppose they cover themselves.

Bottom line is that it's a total crapshoot. Could be a great deal if it works out. Sounds like anecdotally, it isn't working out for most folks who bid for either of the above reasons (low bid/no availability). Hopefully, these folks are happy with their original cabin, so no real downside.

The_Big_M, I get it but it seems like a waste of their time and I know it is a waste of my time. The whole bid up, buy up thing makes me a little bit crazy. I don't really see any real bargain in what they are suggesting/offering for my cruise. There has already been a big price drop after final payment that netted me an upgrade to Aqua and at that time for another $600 total we could have gone to a Sky Suite. Now they are suggesting that I "bid" $800 for the chance. I know I went to public schools but I did learn some basic math...

We have been offered a chance to bid on other cabins ,When reading the rules it looks like we will not get the perks that are offered with these cabins on line . Like drink package? And I have called and have recieved two different answers.anybody on here ever moved up from an inside cabin and recieved the drink package. It matters because our bids will be different if drink package is included.

I think that, if a perk comes with the cabin itself, you get it. For example, Blu comes with Aqua Class and top tier suites (e.g., RS) include the drinks package, unlimited internet, etc. However, if Celebrity is offering a perk such as a drinks package as a current booking incentive, then it's not included. Also, if you already have a perk as part of your original booking, I believe you keep that perk if you move up.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think that, if a perk comes with the cabin itself, you get it. For example, Blu comes with Aqua Class and top tier suites (e.g., RS) include the drinks package, unlimited internet, etc. However, if Celebrity is offering a perk such as a drinks package as a current booking incentive, then it's not included. Also, if you already have a perk as part of your original booking, I believe you keep that perk if you move up.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

So called free perks are a mystery to me. If a cabin without a perc is $3,000, and a cabin with a perc is $3,500, what's free about it? Why wouldn't the perk go along with the new cabin. The customer is paying for it. What am I missing?

So called free perks are a mystery to me. If a cabin without a perc is $3,000, and a cabin with a perc is $3,500, what's free about it? Why wouldn't the perk go along with the new cabin. The customer is paying for it. What am I missing?

There are two types of "perks" (which may overlap). One relates to things Celebrity offers when you book, such as the "Go Best" promotion (e.g., alcohol package, paid gratuities, OBC, etc.). You get those if you book at a time when the promotion is offered. Most people consider them "free" because they are not typically included when booking a cabin. Thus, in theory, before and after the promotion, the cabin would cost the same amount without the additional perks, thus people tend to consider them "free."

Certain cabin categories have perks that are always included in the cost of the cabin. For example, access to Blu with Aqua class or free drinks and internet with very high level suites. The cost of those perks is included in the cost of the cabin.

There are two types of "perks" (which may overlap). One relates to things Celebrity offers when you book, such as the "Go Best" promotion (e.g., alcohol package, paid gratuities, OBC, etc.). You get those if you book at a time when the promotion is offered. Most people consider them "free" because they are not typically included when booking a cabin. Thus, in theory, before and after the promotion, the cabin would cost the same amount without the additional perks, thus people tend to consider them "free."

Certain cabin categories have perks that are always included in the cost of the cabin. For example, access to Blu with Aqua class or free drinks and internet with very high level suites. The cost of those perks is included in the cost of the cabin.

The key words here are definitely "in theory". In almost all cases, when "free" perks are suddenly added due to a sale or something, the prices rise exponentially from what they were before the sale. There is no "free" when it comes to perks, it's really that simple. It is purely a marketing trick that obviously works for many people. There are rare occasions where what I said might not hold true, but that is the exception rather than the rule. People are just so darn gullible - they see the word "free" and they believe it to be true. I see that a lot when people are talking about suites and the "free" Go Best. Compare the price of those suites before Go Best started, add the cost of all the "free" perks, and I will bet you in almost all cases you are actually paying more than you would have before. (and in many cases you would never have purchased all four perks anyway). But you will hear people time and again on these boards talk about what a great deal suites are because of all the "free" perks. As WC Fields said, there's a sucker born every minute. Don't get me wrong - I love suites (albeit I can rarely afford them), but don't be fooled that because you get all the perks it is such a great deal. Book 'em cause you like them, but a great deal they are not. (in most cases)

Agree with the above, which is why I added "in theory." :) If you do the math, the "benefits" from a suite are almost always less than the cost of purchasing a (smaller) cabin and paying for them individually. The same is true of "all-inclusive" luxury lines -- you could buy all those things with a much larger cabin on a main stream line and pay less.

IMHO, there is just so much people will pay for more space (i.e., larger cabin). Cruise lines want to maximize revenue and thus want to provide incentives, other than space, to get people to pay more for certain cabins. Offering "free" perks -- some of which can be purchased and others which can't (e.g., priority seating at shows), is obviously what they've decided to do -- and it must work.

With the promotions, the only way to figure out whether it's a "deal" is to track the price of the cabin you want over time. If the cabin was $2000 pp before the perks and you get $500 of perks, then it's a good deal. If the price went up to $2500, then as noted above, it's a marketing gimmick.

In the end, each individual has to decide if the entire package (cabin, included perks, promotional perks) is worth the cost. It's an individualized decision in terms of how important the perks are, how much you're willing to pay for them, and the value of that cost to you (how much you value a dollar).

Agree with the above, which is why I added "in theory." :) If you do the math, the "benefits" from a suite are almost always less than the cost of purchasing a (smaller) cabin and paying for them individually. The same is true of "all-inclusive" luxury lines -- you could buy all those things with a much larger cabin on a main stream line and pay less.

Your analysis assumes that the larger size of a suite is not worth anything; also, you can't buy your way into Luminae. And a large cabin on a mainstream line won't give you the quality of food and service on a luxury line. The whole world isn't a nail – so you need more tools than just a hammer. [Meaning that math only gives you the cost of things, but can't measure their value.]

I like the option. As somebody posted in a different thread but same subject, the bidding system seems to have been “borrowed” from a system already in use for airline upgrades. Same colored “fan” display purportedly assessing the viability of your particular bid. Earlier this year we bid on an upgrade to business class on Air New Zealand for a Celebrity cruise out of Auckland. No luck but hey at least it was an option. Happy with your cabin..don’t submit a bid.

The key words here are definitely "in theory". In almost all cases, when "free" perks are suddenly added due to a sale or something, the prices rise exponentially from what they were before the sale. There is no "free" when it comes to perks, it's really that simple. It is purely a marketing trick that obviously works for many people. There are rare occasions where what I said might not hold true, but that is the exception rather than the rule. People are just so darn gullible - they see the word "free" and they believe it to be true. I see that a lot when people are talking about suites and the "free" Go Best. Compare the price of those suites before Go Best started, add the cost of all the "free" perks, and I will bet you in almost all cases you are actually paying more than you would have before. (and in many cases you would never have purchased all four perks anyway). But you will hear people time and again on these boards talk about what a great deal suites are because of all the "free" perks. As WC Fields said, there's a sucker born every minute. Don't get me wrong - I love suites (albeit I can rarely afford them), but don't be fooled that because you get all the perks it is such a great deal. Book 'em cause you like them, but a great deal they are not. (in most cases)

We just booked a cruise and the banner in the upper left hand corner clearly states a "FREE" perk is included. And indeed a perk is included to the tune of $400 or $500. How does Celebrity get away with it?

We just booked a cruise and the banner in the upper left hand corner clearly states a "FREE" perk is included. And indeed a perk is included to the tune of $400 or $500. How does Celebrity get away with it?

Because Celebrity offers standard BBB bundle pricing as well as special pricing (resident, military, senior) that has no bundling.