St Petersburg excursions

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Northern Europe & Baltic Sea
Aarhus, Bergen, Copenhagen, Gdansk, Greenland, Helsinki, Oslo, Reykjavik, Riga, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Tallinn
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:12 PM.
2,443 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by upwarduk
Celebrity are doing one, which includes inside the Grand Palace & Cottage Palace of Peterhof, the lower gardens and the Palace of Nicolas 1 in Alexandria park. I was really wondering which tour company offered this tour, so I could compare prices!
However, I’m also thinking if priority debarkation is limited to cruise ship tours, it might be best to book this tour.
Usually , only the 3 day tours offered by independent companies have an inside tour of the Peterhof Grand Palace. There simply isn't time on the 2 day tours. As another poster mentioned, you can design your own custom itinerary. If your heart is set on visiting Peterhof Grand, this would appear to be your best option.
As to the tour offered by your ship, carefully compare the itineraries among the independent operators vs your ship. If you are spending a good deal of time at Peterhof (Grand and Cottage palaces), you will obviously be missing other sights.
JMHO, but I honestly believe that when comparing the earlier starting ship's tour in a large group vs a later start with a smaller, independent group tour, you will have a better experience and see more by booking with an independent company.
If the ship's itinerary is what best suits you then, by all means, book it.
FYI: The Catherine Palace, Peterhof Grand Palace and Winter Palace (Hermitage) were designed by the same architect (Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli) in the same style (Russian baroque). Both the Catherine Palace & Peterhof are suburban estates and, of the two, Catherine Palace is the palace that most first time visitors wish to visit (it is much larger than the Grand & features the restored amber room).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

8/9/2017 Norwegian Jade - 10 day Norwegian Fjords from London
6/13/2017 Oceania Nautica - Scandanavian Glory from Southhampton
4/14/2017 Viking Emerald - Imperial Jewels of China - 14 day - Beijing to Shanghai
11/2/2016 Celebrity Constellation - Israel and the Mediterannean
6/3/2015 - Oceania Marina -14 night Nordic Exploration
8/31/2014 - Diamond Princess -18 night r/t from Tokyo
10/27/2013 - RCCL Liberty of the Seas -Barcelona/Ft. Lauderdale
10/14/2013 - NCL Norwegian Spirit - Venice to Barcelona
May 2013 - Celebrity Constellation - Amsterdam/Amsterdam
5/5/2013 - Celebrity Constellation -Miami/Amsterdam
August 2011 - NCL Sun - Copenhagen/Copenhagen

EMAIL dogs4fun
Rhode Island
658 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
We wanted to vary our trip so we are spending more time in Peterhof and also the Hermitage to see both buildings, including the Renaissance paintings. We are also visiting the Smolny Museum. I am really pleased with the variety that we have chosen but we are giving up Catherine's Palace not only to give us more time but also because of the scheduling of our trip. I am trying to stay out of the middle of St. Petersburg on Russia Day which is a Tuesday and Catherine's Palace is closed that day. You can work with these companies to individualize your plans - it might not cost much less than the ship tour if you are only 2, 4 or 6 but I think that it will be more rewarding and you will see more.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean
West Yorkshire.
5,357 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
As to the tour offered by your ship, carefully compare the itineraries among the independent operators vs your ship. If you are spending a good deal of time at Peterhof (Grand and Cottage palaces), you will obviously be missing other sights.

We did a 2 day De Luxe tour with SPB in July 2015, so we have already seen the main sights, which is why I am trying to find alternative excursions.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jackie

Princess Platinum

Previous Cruises:
Crown Princess: Mediterranean Adventure 13-27th May 2017
Azamara Quest: TA Southampton to Montreal 09.09.16
Celebrity Eclipse, Baltic Capitals. July 25th-Aug 8th 2015
Infinity TransAtlantic October 24th-7 th November 2013.
Eclipse, Southern Caribbean March 23- 6th April 2013.
Constellation ( Celebrity) Amsterdam- Southampton (5th-7th Sept 2012) We are now Elite!!!
Century ( Celebrity) Honolulu to Ensenada Mar 2012
Eclipse (Celebrity)- Western Mediterranean Oct 2010
Arcadia (P&O)- Lands of Ice & Fire July 2009
Mercury (Celebrity) Oz & NZ Jan /Feb 2008
Artemis ( P&O) Iberian Delights Oct 2006
Galaxy ( Celebrity) Rome- Galveston TA Oct 2005
Ocean Village Barbados B2B Jan 2004
Infinity ( Celebrity) Alaska July 2003
Splendour of the Seas (RCCL) B2B Greek Islands Sept 2001
Carnival Sensation ex Dominican Republic 1999
+ 6 others, inc Airtours x3, Fred Olsen,Thompson, & Louis line
Canada
1,106 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
The first time we went to St Petersburg we used the ship's tours and were very disappointed. They didn't let us inside the churches, told us there was nothing inside. We couldn't visit the gold room in the hermitage and they even missed one of the sights completely.

We went a second time and after a lot of research we went with SPB tours. Victoria was amazing in customizing exactly what we wanted to see: the gold room, inside the churches, Peter and Paul Fortress, a subway ride, visit to the local market with snacks. She even got us into a behind the scenes fountains of Peterhof and the small cottages. Then we took a hydrofoil back and a canal ride to Usupov place where Rasputin was killed. It was incredible! Head and shoulders above shuffling along with 50 others, our group of 14 maximized our sightseeing. Truly do your research and see what you want to see!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Zuiderdam, Panama 2017
Noordam, Northbound Alaska 2017
Queen Victoria, Mediterranean 2016
Royal Princess, Southern Caribbean 2015
Rotterdam, Norway, 2013
Nieuw Amsterdam, Eastern and Western Med, 2012
Nieuw Amsterdam, Western Caribbean, 2011
Ruby Princess, Southern Caribbean, 2010
Emerald Princess, Baltic & Berlin, 2009
Noordam, Western & Eastern Mediterranean 2008
Grand Princess, Western Caribbean, 2006
Grand Princess, Greek Isles, 2005
Grand Princess, Baltic & Oslo, 2004
Norwegian Wind, Alaska, 2001
1,683 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Celebrity are doing one, which includes inside the Grand Palace & Cottage Palace of Peterhof, the lower gardens and the Palace of Nicolas 1 in Alexandria park. I was really wondering which tour company offered this tour, so I could compare prices!
However, I’m also thinking if priority debarkation is limited to cruise ship tours, it might be best to book this tour.
Ah! This is a tour clearly designed for cruisers making a repeat visit to St. Petersburg. If your earlier question about going inside Peterhof also included these other Peterhof-Park desination, I need to revise my earlier suggestion.

Visiting all the sites at Peterhof plus transportation to/from will consume a minimum of a half day. Even with a three-day port call, I don't think you can count on first-timers wanting to spend their port call this way. You might get lucky, but if you create a private tour to do this plus the Faberge exhibit, you need to be prepared to pay the full freight. I don't think there will be many takers among first -time visitors to St. Petersburg for such an in-depth visit to Peterhof.
2,443 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
We did a 2 day De Luxe tour with SPB in July 2015, so we have already seen the main sights, which is why I am trying to find alternative excursions.
Ah, in that case, spending more time at Peterhof makes sense. I love the Cottage Palace - is there a tour that also includes Monplaisir?
Pavlovsk is also an option. The palace, although not as sumptuous as the Grand, is very interesting and the park is gorgeous.
If you are interested in a day "on your own", you might contact SPB again and see if they can provide you with a driver for a day. The ticket will satisfy the visa waiver - we did this once years ago with Alla Tours.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

8/9/2017 Norwegian Jade - 10 day Norwegian Fjords from London
6/13/2017 Oceania Nautica - Scandanavian Glory from Southhampton
4/14/2017 Viking Emerald - Imperial Jewels of China - 14 day - Beijing to Shanghai
11/2/2016 Celebrity Constellation - Israel and the Mediterannean
6/3/2015 - Oceania Marina -14 night Nordic Exploration
8/31/2014 - Diamond Princess -18 night r/t from Tokyo
10/27/2013 - RCCL Liberty of the Seas -Barcelona/Ft. Lauderdale
10/14/2013 - NCL Norwegian Spirit - Venice to Barcelona
May 2013 - Celebrity Constellation - Amsterdam/Amsterdam
5/5/2013 - Celebrity Constellation -Miami/Amsterdam
August 2011 - NCL Sun - Copenhagen/Copenhagen

EMAIL dogs4fun