US to South American and back on boat?

der110

I have back trouble, making a long flights unpleasant. I am 64 and otherwise in good health. My friends keep telling me how much they love cruising. I did some searching on the internet, but could not find anything that seemed quite right. While I suppose I would not mind flying say from Buenos Aires back to the US, is it possible to leave, say, from San Diego, and end up in Florida without getting on an airplane? Also, I would really like to see the Antarctic. Years ago I went around the world on World Campus Afloat, but have not been on a cruising since.

I have back trouble, making a long flights unpleasant. I am 64 and otherwise in good health. My friends keep telling me how much they love cruising. I did some searching on the internet, but could not find anything that seemed quite right. While I suppose I would not mind flying say from Buenos Aires back to the US, is it possible to leave, say, from San Diego, and end up in Florida without getting on an airplane? Also, I would really like to see the Antarctic. Years ago I went around the world on World Campus Afloat, but have not been on a cruising since.

If you're interested in cruising around South America, I know Holland America has several connecting (back to back) cruises from the west coast of the US to the east (and vice versa).

Rumor has it that the Carnival Splendor will move from Florida to Long Beach in the not-to-distant future.

Unless they route it thru the new Panama Canal locks, it will be a continuous voyage from Florida, around South America, to Long Beach.

I cannot find it in the schedule yet...stay tuned.

I know it is the opposite direction described by the OP, but it is the best I could do.

If you're interested in cruising around South America, I know Holland America has several connecting (back to back) cruises from the west coast of the US to the east (and vice versa).

That is, in fact, what I meant. Thanks.

January 2018, the Island Princess will sail around South America starting and ending in Fort Lauderdale. Cruise will be 60 days.

The same ship cruises between Fort Lauderdale and LA during the US winter. This cruise is 15 days via the canal. We are taking the FLL to LA cruise and then staying on for the return to FLL. Total will be 30 days sailing January 19, 2017.

January 2018, the Island Princess will sail around South America starting and ending in Fort Lauderdale. Cruise will be 60 days.

The same ship cruises between Fort Lauderdale and LA during the US winter. This cruise is 15 days via the canal. We are taking the FLL to LA cruise and then staying on for the return to FLL. Total will be 30 days sailing January 19, 2017.

That sounds perfect. Thanks!

Buenos Aires to NYC is about 11 hours of torture. It is surprising how long of a flight it is.

I'd fly to Miami and take a breather. But it turns out that Holland America has the perfect trip, round trip from Ft. Lauderdale, 68 days, through Antarctica (well not literally through). I had to call them to find it. I was not able to find it on their website until they gave me the name of the ship. Not cheap, but hey, you can't take it with you.

I'd fly to Miami and take a breather. But it turns out that Holland America has the perfect trip, round trip from Ft. Lauderdale, 68 days, through Antarctica (well not literally through). I had to call them to find it. I was not able to find it on their website until they gave me the name of the ship. Not cheap, but hey, you can't take it with you.

I was just going to mention that Holland America itinerary. Some friends I met on an Arctic cruise were talking about it.

I was trying to avoid listing the very long cruises, but there are others out there. Go to www,cruisetimetables.com and plug in some of the South America ports on the Ports of call list. It will tell you who is calling there and their itineraries. Some are listed more than once because the longer cruise will be sold in segments. EM