Sea plane crash in 2015 - NTSB Report is Out

The discussions of how and why are to lessen the chances of this happening again. There have already been a couple informative posts about how bad these sightseeing flights can be in poor weather conditions.

Potential customers of these flights have a right to be better informed about what they are signing up for, and until now nobody was saying much about the subject. Now is the time to discuss the subject.

igraf

I started a new thread to discuss the aviation safety and investigation details. Please join me here for that important discussion. Leave this thread for the condolences.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46954171#post46954171

Edited by Pete and Judy

So shocked to hear about the tragedy. My condolences to all the bereaved families, both of the passengers and the pilot. Such a sad day. I was on the Westerdam in 2011 to Alaska, we had such a wonderful time. I can only imagine how sad the passengers and crew are feeling.

Am I the only one who feels bad for Promech Air's staff? Not just the dead pilot, but everyone who works for the company. I am not seeing any grief for them or their families.

My mom is glad she chose Seawind Aviation for our Misty Fjords floatplane tour this summer. Can you imagine how many people are going to cancel flights with Promech Air because of the crash? Obviously money is nothing compared to life but PA is going to be affected financially for years because of how they lost nine people.

I really hope this does not cross my mind before or during my SA flight. So sad.

Well, Seawind Aviation has it's own history. Do a google search.

http://news.yahoo.com/missing-plane-carrying-9-found-cliff-side-alaska-003600347.html

"ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Alaska emergency crews will attempt Friday to recover the remains of eight cruise ship passengers and a pilot who were killed when their sightseeing plane crashed in a remote and rugged area of southeastern Alaska.

Wind and rain prevented any recovery after the wreckage of the aircraft was found Thursday against a granite rock face, 800 feet above a lake.

There was no immediate indication of why the DeHavilland DHC-3 Otter turboprop went down, killing the nine people during the sightseeing excursion. No names have been released.

Clint Johnson, head of the National Transportation Safety Board's Alaska office, said it was too soon to know circumstances of the crash, including whether the plane flew into the cliff.

The NTSB was assembling a high-level team to investigate the crash, including three members from Alaska and at least two people from Washington, D.C.

"The initial rescue crew that went in had a very tough time because of the terrain," Johnson said. "It's a very steep, mountainous area, and weather conditions caused them to stand down."

View galleryThe Holland America Line cruise ship Westerdam sits …

The Holland America Line cruise ship Westerdam sits in dock in Ketchikan, Alaska, on Thursday, June …

He earlier confirmed the deaths: "''We have nine fatalities."

Coast Guard Petty Officer Lauren Steenson said the agency received a report around 2:15 p.m. that the plane was overdue. Troopers said an emergency locator transmitter activated in the Misty Fjords National Monument, and a helicopter pilot spotted the downed aircraft above Ella Lake, about 800 miles southeast of Anchorage.

Promech Air, an airline based in Ketchikan, operated the shore excursion sold through Holland America Line, the cruise ship company said in a statement. The eight passengers were guests on the Westerdam, which is on a seven-day cruise that departed Seattle on Saturday.

"We are incredibly distressed by this situation, and our thoughts and prayers are with those onboard the plane and their families," the statement said. "Holland America Line is extending its full support to traveling companions of the guests involved."

Promech said that the crash happened about 11:20 a.m., and the plane was one of five Otter aircraft in its fleet.

"There is nothing I can say that can alleviate the pain and overwhelming sense of loss that we and the loved ones of those affected are feeling," Marcus Sessoms, president of Promech Air, said in a statement. "At this moment, all of us share the pain and anguish of this terrible event. Our thoughts and our prayers go out to everyone touched by this tragedy."

The Ketchikan Daily News reported the Westerdam had been scheduled to leave the city at 1 p.m., but it remained in port Thursday evening.

The airline's website advertises tours of the 2-million-acre Misty Fjord National Monument in its float planes.

"Towering granite cliffs, 1,000-foot waterfalls, lush and remote valleys and serene crystalline lakes make up this incredible landscape," it says.

___

Associated Press writer Kathy McCarthy in Seattle contributed to this report."

No survivors.

Personally, I would prefer to die doing what I love. RIP

Could we please leave any discussion related to "how", "why", "fault" out of this thread and keep it dedicated to expressions of grief for the people involved and their loved ones.

Thank you.

Ditto! Well said!

I live in Ketchikan and arrived home yesterday afternoon from vacation to learn of the crash. The search efforts actually delayed our arrival slightly. Our pilot explained there was a missing plane. When we landed it was rainy and windy, fairly typical actually, and I'd heard it had been not that great all day. I know through previous experience that tours will still leave in rainy weather in town because it can be completely different in the Mistys. I can say that many people who live here are very saddened by this news. We're a small community and news like this hits hard. I know some of the people involved with the recovery effort and it sounds like it's going to be a challenging job. Here's a fairly good article, goes into a bit more detail about the crash site: http://www.adn.com/article/20150625/nine-dead-southeast-alaska-floatplane-crash

Thank you for sharing!

Thoughts and prayers are with all the Families and Friends of the loved ones who lost their lives as well as the passengers, Crew and Staff onboard the Westerdam. Praying, too, for safety for all involved with the Rescue Mission! This is so sad!

Am I the only one who feels bad for Promech Air's staff? Not just the dead pilot, but everyone who works for the company. I am not seeing any grief for them or their families.

My mom is glad she chose Seawind Aviation for our Misty Fjords floatplane tour this summer. Can you imagine how many people are going to cancel flights with Promech Air because of the crash? Obviously money is nothing compared to life but PA is going to be affected financially for years because of how they lost nine people.

I really hope this does not cross my mind before or during my SA flight. So sad.

Please refer to post #71 in this thread re: Promech Air. I'm sure that when posters give condolences to all involved in this tragedy that it encompasses the employees of Promech as well.

As far as Seawind Aviation goes, their crash occurred in 2007. They're still in business.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of the victims, to the co-workers of the pilot, to the residents of Ketchikan, and to the HAL passengers and crew who were affected by this horrific accident.

I have been a pilot for 50 yr, I would never go on a small air plane in Alaska. Also I never go on one anyplace if I'm not the pilot.

I have a fear of small planes. I also have a diagnosed anxiety problem. However, no problem with flying commercial, though (sometimes with the aid of a 'calming pill'). Five years ago, my husband and I took a small plane tour over Kauia. We booked it on our own using TripAdvisor to find the best operator Still, I was so nervous as it was a Cessna...three seater!

Hubby and I will be leaving in three weeks for an Alaska cruise out of Seattle (we live here). We just finished up booking our shore excursions yesterday a.m.

My husband wanted to do the float plane tour in Ketchikan. I said no. We quibbled back and forth. I told him that since it was Alaska...weather...and float plane...well I was just too nervous. We instead booked with the 'Deadliest Catch'...boat.

I was sooooo saddened then to learn later in the same day about this accident. I cannot imagine the agony everyone is going through.

May the family and friends find some peace and comfort through this emotionally painful time.

Last year in Ketchikan we booked a private excursion with Island Wings to see bears, rather than Misty Fjords. We made it to our site, but weather socked in Ketchikan so fast while we were at the bear site that they actually chose not to fly us out. Instead, the company booked a local to bring his boat to take the passengers to a fishing lodge at the end of the road out of Ketchikan. The company van met us there and got us all back to our ships in time.

I have always been thankful that the company decided to take an extra step to make sure the pilot and guests were all kept safe. This tragedy makes me even more aware of how important that attitude can be. We cannot and should not speculate on what went wrong, but it is easy to see how fast that can happen.

My condolences to families and friends of both the tourists and the crew. A sudden loss like this is so hard for them.

We decided years ago to do this excursion on our silver wedding anniversary day and looked forward to doing it in a few days. Cancelled as soon as we heard the news.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved.

Got me to thinking - what is HAL's policy on cancellations if you decide to cancel on the day of the excursion if you do not like the weather conditions?

We also flew to Misty Fjords with Michelle of Island Wings in 2009. I have always been afraid of small planes but someone said to me: "DO IT even if you are afraid because it is so amazing." I decided to go for it and was so glad I did. You see things that you just can't see from a tour bus. Besides the horrific loss of life, I am also sad that people will be afraid to go on this type of excursion for a long time.

Our hearts go out to all who are affected by this tragedy. R.I.P. to the victims.

kathy

My heart goes out to the families affected by this.

I leave next week for NCL Alaska cruise and have booked a Seaplane excursion in Juneau. If the weather is bad i will not go. We cannot be afraid as life has to continue, its sad for the companies that operate here, as something like this hangs over their head.

The stats are so low, but flying is a necessity in Alaska and things happen, just so sad for all involved.

When our multiply handicapped son died two years ago, I was asked by someone about how I was coping with his death. I remember responding that "if you could see and hear what I am feeling about my son's passing from our loving embraces, you would experience our profound sense of loss, our depth of sorrow, our compassion for all those who knew and loved him, and belief that he is still with us in spirit and memories." I can only extend these same thoughts to the surviving family members and friends of those who perished in this tragic accident. May God bless embraced all those who perished and console those left behind.

Got me to thinking - what is HAL's policy on cancellations if you decide to cancel on the day of the excursion if you do not like the weather conditions?

Unless the tour operator cancels and you decide not to go on any excursion no matter what the reason, you lose your money. That is HAL's policy.

The lake landing there is pretty tricky, surrounded by mountain. It's the most serene place ever. I can't help hoping they got to experience the peace of the lake before the crash. Such a terrible thing to happen, for their families, the Westerdam passengers and crew, and for all of us in the family of cruisers.

Unless the tour operator cancels and you decide not to go on any excursion no matter what the reason, you lose your money. That is HAL's policy.

Thanks - I was not sure, but thought this was the policy. Makes me think.

The lake landing there is pretty tricky, surrounded by mountain. It's the most serene place ever. I can't help hoping they got to experience the peace of the lake before the crash. Such a terrible thing to happen, for their families, the Westerdam passengers and crew, and for all of us in the family of cruisers.

It was a great experience and a wonderful place. Got my picture standing on the pontoon!

It did look like a tricky landing for the pilot, but what do I know?

May God Bless and keep the families involved, from the passengers to the pilot. And may God also bless the remaining passengers on board Westerdam and allow them peace to keep going on their travels.

I agree 100%. The pilot should have cancelled the flight, but was driven by money into a very dangerous situation. Tighter regulations are required for these commercial sightseeing flights. The passengers are not going to enjoy the ride anyway if the weather is that bad!!

I am a private pilot myself.

igraf

Incredible that you know so much about yesterday's crash that you can even comment on the pilot's mindset. Give it rest until we all know something about the circumstances of the crash.

I know that anyone who has ever sailed on the Westerdam, and hears about the nine people who lost their lives yesterday, has sadness and condolences for the families in their hearts. As people who have been on the Westerdam and have reservations to sail on her again, we feel a special relationship to all Westerdam Cruisers. Life can be so fragile - enjoy when you can.