The legacy of Lisa Lutloff-Perlo

Mynki

In your opinion, is Lisa Lutloff-Perlo having a positive or a negative effect on Cele  

284 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, is Lisa Lutloff-Perlo having a positive or a negative effect on Cele

• Positive
    • Negative

Indeed. A quick look at FDK's posting history will show a fascination with snapping at other forum members as opposed to factual information. ;)

Since it's high of $102.73 at the end of december 2015 the stock is now tanking with an almost 25% fall in just 6 months. By my 'objective measures' I'd suggest shareholders could be happier! But as has been pointed out, share prices and customer satisfaction are two completely different worlds. How happy are those sailing onboard?

RCCL's stock probably has much more to do with Royal Caribbean cruise lines and all their new ships and problems they had with Harmony of the Seas and the Anthem of the Seas incident then it does Lisa Lutloff-Perlo and what she is doing with Celebrity. Celebrity only has 9 ships plus the Galapagos Xpedition, while RCCL has 25 ships.

Edited by CruisingChick

RCCL's stock probably has much more to do with Royal Caribbean cruise lines and all their new ships and problems they had with Harmony of the Seas and the Anthem of the Seas incident then it does Lisa Lutloff-Perlo and what she is doing with Celebrity. Celebrity only has 9 ships plus the Galapagos Xpedition, while RCCL has 25 ships.

I'm sure Infinity slamming into the dock at Ketchikan and causing $3 million worth of damage didn't help much either.

I wrote Pres. Lutoff-Perlo a detailed letter (on paper, not email) describing the unbelievably bad, two-day experience I had booking a Royal Suite for our first Celebrity cruise. Over six weeks later, I received a call from someone from Celebrity with the following message, "Sorry you had a bad experience". Of the several issues I pointed out, only one was addressed, and it was glossed over with corporate spin rather than showing any real attempt to address the problem. I lived and died by Customer Satisfaction Indexes for years in my business, so I don't take the time to write you unless something is seriously flawed. Instead of trashing Celebrity in social media or contacting the Florida AG's Consumer Protection Bureau, I thought Ms. Lutoff-Perlo should have the opportunity to "right her own ship". The length of time it took to reply would have been excused if it was due to the time spent addressing the issues I took the time to point out. This was not the case. I was left with an impression of apathetic lip service being applied.

My thoughts below:

As a professional woman, I am offended at how LLP is shamelessly using 'Captain Kate' as a marketing tool. No slur intended to the lovely Captain, but it starts to make you wonder if she was made Captain for one reason only (and before I get flamed for this - I am only suggesting that this is what the perception could be).

LLP from Day 1 was screaming that she was the first woman to be a CEO, and the Captain Kate announcement follows that same marketing ploy. The entire announcement was kept as a secret, and used to "kickoff" her official Twitter account. (she actually isn't the one posting to that account).

As LLP was cutting back and offending loyal Celebrity customers immediately after arriving at her new position, she was gallivanting around the country hosting and attending exclusive events. But she placated people by giving back the chocolates that should never have been taken away in the first place (another marketing ploy?). I am anticipating that very soon the water to Aqua class will be restored and she will be in the 'good books' again (and since most people sail with a bev pkg these days it will really cost X nothing!).

Taking away chocolates, adding them back, running around the country giving picnic baskets away. Also, the "grass is greener" initiative catered to travel agents, not to guests with the exception of the 3 events. My favorite was them taking away water from Aqua class, and the over promising / under delivering of Luminae hours of operation.

According to these boards, at least the previous CEO was contactable and although LLP promised an e-mail address that she could be contacted at she has never followed through.

Michael was wonderful. Lisa will never create a "ContactLisa" email, as she would rather not deal with anyone.

The company that I work for had a CEO that did nothing but watch the bottom line and as he watched - the more he cut back the more it fell until he left with his golden parachute and our stock price at record low and employee moral down there in the toilet with it. It has taken about 5 years for the company to even start to recover from his damage.

Sadly, it is probably already too late. The good employees have either moved to Royal or have been let go by Celebrity. The most important areas that should be addressed still are ignored (look at the website for example.)

I hope she sees the error of her ways before it is too late.

A few things that have changed over the past 16years. Some minor, some more important but for the most part aren't enough to put us off from Celebrity being our line of choice.

In random order, not based on importance;

Cotton Balls and cotton swabs.

Ample shampoo, conditioner, lotion and soaps which were of a decent brand.

The robes, either type, seem like they went through the war.

No pitcher for ice water

Ice only on request

Formal night in the MDR was elegant with draped chairs and white gloved waiters.

More staff in EVERY part of the ship.

After many cruises in every type of stateroom from royal suites to the large Aft facing FV's I miss the staterooms that fall in between the actual suites and the veranda cabins. On longer cruises we always looked to get the Concierge cabins that were a little larger and had a slightly larger veranda. Now all cabins up to the butlered suites are the same.

Just miss the little bit of extra room inside and out and would love to see that type of larger cabin and veranda on any new Celebrity builds.

In all Celebrity is still tops with us and even after 16 years the prices do not seem to have risen that much, which I imagine translates into the above changes.

OMO

bosco

As a professional woman, I am offended at how LLP is shamelessly using 'Captain Kate' as a marketing tool. No slur intended to the lovely Captain, but it starts to make you wonder if she was made Captain for one reason only (and before I get flamed for this - I am only suggesting that this is what the perception could be).

As LLP was cutting back and offending loyal Celebrity customers immediately after arriving at her new position, she was gallivanting around the country hosting and attending exclusive events. But she placated people by giving back the chocolates that should never have been taken away in the first place (another marketing ploy?). I am anticipating that very soon the water to Aqua class will be restored and she will be in the 'good books' again (and since most people sail with a bev pkg these days it will really cost X nothing!).

According to these boards, at least the previous CEO was contactable and although LLP promised an e-mail address that she could be contacted at she has never followed through.

I hope she sees the error of her ways before it is too late.

We're cruising the same wave(lengths).... but not as often as before as a result of the changes under her "leadership".

However the ships seem to be sailing at capacity and the prices have bumped up.

Since it's high of $102.73 at the end of december 2015 the stock is now tanking with an almost 25% fall in just 6 months. By my 'objective measures' I'd suggest shareholders could be happier! But as has been pointed out, share prices and customer satisfaction are two completely different worlds. How happy are those sailing onboard?

As a share holder pretty happy. In 2012 the dividend was .44 cents per share. 2015 it is $1.35. Exxon/Mobil only increased theirs .70 cents over the same time period.

JP Morgan just bought an extremely LARGE amount of shares, hummmm.

Celebrity was always our favorite line as far as bang for the buck. For the first time ever we do not have a future cruise booked. Prices are higher, entertainment on our last cruise was poor (Sydney to Auckland). Blu was still a pleasure as were the special restaurants, even tho they have gotten pretty pricey. Sea days not much going on that wasn't an extra cost. No ships in the Caribbean in May/June, much of April. Water removed from Aqua (why not have it available on request?) I'd give her a D minus.

I wrote Pres. Lutoff-Perlo a detailed letter (on paper, not email) describing the unbelievably bad, two-day experience I had booking a Royal Suite for our first Celebrity cruise. Over six weeks later, I received a call from someone from Celebrity with the following message, "Sorry you had a bad experience". Of the several issues I pointed out, only one was addressed, and it was glossed over with corporate spin rather than showing any real attempt to address the problem. I lived and died by Customer Satisfaction Indexes for years in my business, so I don't take the time to write you unless something is seriously flawed. Instead of trashing Celebrity in social media or contacting the Florida AG's Consumer Protection Bureau, I thought Ms. Lutoff-Perlo should have the opportunity to "right her own ship". The length of time it took to reply would have been excused if it was due to the time spent addressing the issues I took the time to point out. This was not the case. I was left with an impression of apathetic lip service being applied.

She seems too busy living the CEO life and being a VIP ... Has no handle on modern luxury or what pampering customers is all about....sad! Not very good at Customer relations...just sell sell sell!

She seems too busy living the CEO life and being a VIP ... Has no handle on modern luxury or what pampering customers is all about....sad! Not very good at Customer relations...just sell sell sell!

It's like she is not only content with continuing the sad progress of the gone but not forgotten 16 ounce pound can of coffee or the long lost true half gallon container of ice cream, but wants to take it a step or two beyond.

We all know things go up in price and are not so ignorant to see that the can of coffee or the container of ice cream is just not the same as it was.

I don't know what the solution is or if she is even interested in one but for sure when it comes to that one or two times a year I can fit in a cruise I want to get a full can or a full container and am becoming somewhat dismayed at not getting that anymore. Prices aside, since for me a few hundred dollars more than prices were in the first 10 years or so of 2000 is a no brainer and would gladly be forked over. Base price Honda Accord 2000= $15,765..Base price Honda Accord 2016= $22,205. Whereas prices on Celebrity cruises have not gone up more than 1 hundred or 2 hundred dollars in the last 7 years and a few have stayed the same.

OMO

bosco

I suspect that if you ask the question 2-3 years from now a fair percentage of the long term Celebrity cruisers will judge her performance poorly because they liked what Celebrity was, and do not like the changes. On the other hand those cruising on Celebrity at that time will probably judge her performance high, because they like the changes. I put myself in the former category rather then the latter.

She's changing the brand image. She doesn't want Celebrity known as "your parent's cruiseline".

Yup, and today's children will be tomorrow's parents, who just might be looking for that full pound of coffee or that full half gallon of ice cream when they take the place of their 40-50 year old parents. LOL

bosco

I sailed with Celebrity when Mr. Bayley was the CEO and was impressed with most aspects of my cruise as well as his response to my criticism in a personal letter about the intolerable disembarkation situation at Terminal 25 in Port Everglades.

I have not sailed with Celebrity since the new person has taken over and have not voted, therefore. But, as a RCI shareholder, I do wonder why so frequent changes in the top management position.

You can update things to make them more relevant and current without cutting staff and lowering standards. Unless that's what Modern Luxury is, but I don't think so.

I don't mind change, what I mind is the lower quality in food and service, less staff/crew, fewer "free activities" and higher prices for specialty restaurants, liquor, photos, etc. Maybe cruise prices haven't gone up but everything else has.

Edited by CruisingChick

I suspect that if you ask the question 2-3 years from now a fair percentage of the long term Celebrity cruisers will judge her performance poorly because they liked what Celebrity was, and do not like the changes. On the other hand those cruising on Celebrity at that time will probably judge her performance high, because they like the changes. I put myself in the former category rather then the latter.

I think she's promoting Celebrity to a different crowd. The long time cruisers did love a different product but Celebrity was neither well known or had a real identity to the majority of cruisers. I think she's putting Celebrity on the map with a new generation and creating a bit of a niche for them. Will people like it? obviously not all judging by the complaints on here. But she is definitely moving and promoting them to a new demographic. Personally, I love it. Love the vibe, love the food and love that it's not my parents cruise line.

Brand image is only one portion of the job. Delegation without accountability is a recipe for disaster. She needs to be aware of customer complaints as they are often the first indicator of a process breaking down or someone not doing their job. That doesn't seem to be happening.

Brand image is only one portion of the job. Delegation without accountability is a recipe for disaster. She needs to be aware of customer complaints as they are often the first indicator of a process breaking down or someone not doing their job. That doesn't seem to be happening.

I can personally attest to the office of the president taking very good care of us on our Constellation cruise after a nicely worded complaint. So they're not deaf.

I am just back from my 10th cruise with Celebrity and enjoyed it every bit as the first one many years ago . The food and service were excellent and there was a much younger crowd on this cruise than in the past so there was a great vibe on the ship. I am 70 years old and enjoyed some of the old ways such as formal night but I felt everyone was dressed very well on "evening chic "night . I was there for the deck party too! Everything changes but cruises are still wonderful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

WHICH chocolates? Inquiring chocoholic needs to know what to expect in October! :p

Pillow chocolates at turn down. Quite nice as well though I would have preferred them to retain the bar snacks at the Martini Bar which we always enjoyed with a cocktail pre dinner but alas they were no more on Eclipse a few weeks back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork

Pillow chocolates at turn down. Quite nice as well though I would have preferred them to retain the bar snacks at the Martini Bar which we always enjoyed with a cocktail pre dinner but alas they were no more on Eclipse a few weeks back.

But are they the COVA chocolates of days gone by????

What about the skinny bread sticks? Please don't tell me THEY'RE gone. :eek:

But are they the COVA chocolates of days gone by????

No Cova Cafe chocolates, they have gone the way of the dinosaur.

No skinny breadsticks either. We have stopped going to the Martini Bar. We do not like what it has turned into. More showmanship then good service and good drinks and always loud music playing so you cannot even have a conversation.

The horror of it, pure horror!

I talked to the F&B manager on our recent cruise about the variability of food items. He said that Celebrity tries to local source the freshest products. He said that some ships are on a 6 month deployment to areas that don't always have food items or cuts of meat that American tastes prefer. So an item may be available on what cruise and not on another. If Celebrity tried to stock bread sticks for a 6 month deployment, say in Asia, I don't know that I would be that excited about eating 6 month old bread sticks.

We have stopped going to the Martini Bar. We do not like what it has turned into. More showmanship then good service and good drinks and always loud music playing so you cannot even have a conversation.

Great! That means more great service and good drinks for me! ;)

Edited by El Crucero