Hotel in Venice before Cruise

suzanne73

Hi

I am taking an NCL cruise that leaves out of Venice. We are arriving the night before and staying the night in Venice.

I have been there before years ago and I know how hard it is to get around with luggage.

I will be traveling with my parents who are older and will have problems going far with luggage.

Does anyone know of a hotel in Venice easy to get to with luggage? I will need to come from the airport. Is there a shuttle? Also how would I get to the port to catch my cruise? Are shuttles expensive?

I want to go to Piazza San Marco and Rialto Bridge area. So it is probably easier if I stay in Venice rather than outside.

I tried to get a hotel through NCL but they were sold out. I asked for transfers but they said I can't get any if I stay the night before.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Hotel Santa Chiara on Piazzale Roma. Easy shuttle type buis from the airport to Piazzale Roma. No bridges to cross to get to the hotel. Easy access to vaporetto down the grand Canal. Across Piazzale Roma to the People Mover to the port. EM

I stayed at the Hotel Olimpia, a short distance off the Piazzale Roma and not far from the People Mover, a monorail that takes passengers from the Piazzale Roma into the port area where the cruise piers are.

The hotel is located on a smaller canal, is charming, has very nice helpful staff, has an elevator, modern plumbing, comfortable beds, serves a great free breakfast, and is a Best Western property. I really enjoyed my one night stay there, and would happily stay there given another opportunity.

I stayed at the Hilton Molino Stucky and loved it! There are regular, free water taxis running all day from the hotel to 2 different points. Also, for a small fee, there's another water taxi that takes you right to the cruise ship port. I would certainly stay here again if/when I return to Venice.

You may want to check out the Ports of Call and read about Venice as other's have suggested.

Here is one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2232235

"Does anyone know of a hotel in Venice easy to get to with luggage?"

Good Question...we stayed in the Marriott Boscolo which was a little over a block from the water taxi stop but you still had to walk over coble stone to get to the hotel...no bridge though believe it or not. A water taxi could deliver you to the front door of the Boscolo if you desire as well. Private water taxi's were running $130 Euros for 3 people to the airport from our hotel when I was there a few weeks ago. The Alliguna (sp?) was 15 Euro pp in advance and 16 onboard. You can purchase a ticket on board but it is frowned upon and correct change is recommended. You can purchase tickets for the Alliguna (sp?) at the airport or other stations with cash or credit cards.

Lots of ways to get to the port but it will start with a water taxi in most cases and the best bet it to take the Alliguna straight to the port. There is still a decent walk to the terminal and ship though...

Don't overpack...best advice I could give you. Take cash for water taxi's and if you dare go the people mover route have small change to buy your ticket. It was only 1.30 Euro but being the touristy over-packer I am, I lost about 3 lbs. pulling my 48lb bag and carrying my oversized purse/carryon to the ship. Did I mention I also had a cross body purse? Wow...I was never so happy to part with my luggage when I handed it over at the ship terminal.

The Rialto is walking distance from San Marco. 10 minutes walking purposefully if you know the way and don't linger in the shops.

Good Luck and have a wonderful time!

IMO the key is to book a hotel on a canal, and use a private water taxi from the airport. You will be dropped right at the door. The Hilton as someone mentioned is lovely. We stayed at the Hotel Danieli, which is three buildings off St. Marks square. Also take a private water taxi to the ship, that will get you as close as possible.

Our approach was to get a hotel as close to Piazzale Roma as possible. We took the ATVO bus, very easy to get tix @ VCE on arrival, and inexpensive:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mobile/articles/venice_airport_buses_atvo.htm

On departure day, we walked to Piazzale Roma and took the People Mover to the port.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
Our approach was to get a hotel as close to Piazzale Roma as possible. We took the ATVO bus, very easy to get tix @ VCE on arrival, and inexpensive:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mobile/articles/venice_airport_buses_atvo.htm

On departure day, we walked to Piazzale Roma and took the People Mover to the port.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

This is best advice for elderly or with lots of luggage. You want to minimize hauling it around - then water taxi or vaporetto to spots you want to see.

We stayed at hotel belle arti last month, it's a straight walk on the flat for 2 minutes to the vaporetto stop that takes you to the ship. It's only 2 stops from there to ship with the other being the Hilton Molino stucky. We've stayed there too but the price is often much higher.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You may want to check out the Ports of Call and read about Venice as other's have suggested.

Here is one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2232235

"Does anyone know of a hotel in Venice easy to get to with luggage?"

Good Question...we stayed in the Marriott Boscolo which was a little over a block from the water taxi stop but you still had to walk over coble stone to get to the hotel...no bridge though believe it or not.!

We stayed there last summer also. It was so easy to get to

The Boscolo also has a courtesy boat that will take you to San Marco