Soot on Aft Balconies - Britannia

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:24 AM.
Hyde United Kingdom
529 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by Presto2
We remember watching them have their meal on the balcony - provided and served by their butler - and the lovely sun loungers they had. The balcony is huge !

If there is soot they wash it off - just take flip flops for first thing in the morning for the odd bits on the floor.
Thank you I will. Looking forward to using the butler.....although not sure for what yet 😂
ONTario-CAnada
2,980 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Chim chiminey
Chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-ee!
A sweep is as lucky
As lucky can be

Chim chiminey
Chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-oo!
Good luck will rub off when
I shakes 'ands with you
Or blow me a kiss
And that's lucky too

https://flic.kr/p/Kaor9H
Hyde United Kingdom
529 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by ONT-CA
Chim chiminey
Chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-ee!
A sweep is as lucky
As lucky can be

Chim chiminey
Chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-oo!
Good luck will rub off when
I shakes 'ands with you
Or blow me a kiss
And that's lucky too

https://flic.ekr/p/Kaor9H
Haha ...I feel very lucky to be in a suite...even if the balcony is covered in soot haha 😂😂
Wales, UK
1,835 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
P&O Azura in trouble again. This time their Captain is up in court in France today for burning low grade high sulphur fuel whilst cruising the Mediterranean. Hope they throw the book at P&O. Soot on balconies is due to the actions of P&O cost saving policies and too hell with the environment and the passengers - profit is what counts !
182 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
We had A727 on Britannia in March which is a corner aft suite,lovely room,fabulous balcony,especially at sea for 5 days when we were in a suntrap sheltered by the ships superstructure while things were flying up on deck!
Yes we saw soot,never that much to be a problem,no problem with noise to any extent either just a fabulous time,we like Britannia but are spoilt now,just couldn't go back to her usual mini-balconies!!!
Access was our main bug bear at that end of the ship,the lifts are useless for anything below deck 7 & when finishing the night in the lovely Crows Nest it is one heck of a trek back to the cabin!
Cambridge
585 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
We have had an aft cabin underneath the sunset bar on a TA and yes you do get occasional soot smuts but then we have also been covered in smut while idling on a lounger round the main pool area in Barbados on disembarkation day. We did have a daily clean and our steward normally did this while we were at breakfast.As others say in depends on atmospheric conditions and is not solely a P&O problem. I have also heard it said about Royal Princess
Bristol
27 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
Did aft cabin on Britannia this year in Caribbean. Would not book an aft cabin again on any ship on any line.

Had to keep wiping furniture down, my bathrobe was still black, couldn’t lean on the balcony after I’d got ready, and wear flip flops outside as feet were black otherwise.

As much as the steward cleaned it came down. I love reading on balcony at sea days and it was landing on my book, made me wonder what I was breathing in and not seeing.

Loved Britannia and the cruise in the Caribbean so didn’t spoil it at all just a lesson learnt!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Oceana Mediterranean June 2010
Celebrity Eclipse Cork April 2011
P&O Ventura Caribbean Nov 2011
Celebrity Reflection Preview Cruise Oct 2012
Celebrity Eclipse Norway Aug 2013
Celebrity Reflection Italy and Greek Islands Sep 2015
P&O Ventura Spain/Portugal March 2016
Royal Caribbean Asia Repositioning April 2017
Celebrity Silhouette Western Med Sep 2017
P&O Britannia Caribbean March 2018

Next...
Celebrity Equinox Caribbean March 2019
MSC Bellissima Itally Sep 2019
Hyde United Kingdom
529 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by Al_W
Did aft cabin on Britannia this year in Caribbean. Would not book an aft cabin again on any ship on any line.

Had to keep wiping furniture down, my bathrobe was still black, couldn’t lean on the balcony after I’d got ready, and wear flip flops outside as feet were black otherwise.

As much as the steward cleaned it came down. I love reading on balcony at sea days and it was landing on my book, made me wonder what I was breathing in and not seeing.

Loved Britannia and the cruise in the Caribbean so didn’t spoil it at all just a lesson learnt!
Hi which suite/cabin were you in?
686 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by netchells
And I was really looking forward to my aft suite on Britannia at the end of October.
Ignore all the bad comments - aft Suites are wonderful (as are all Suites to be honest).

We had an aft Suite on B deck late 2016 and loved it (having had one on the side in 2015). The balconies are huge compared to the side Suites - much deeper. We had a table, two chairs, two loungers and another table along with one of the Settees that used to be up near the sports court area. This was wonderful to sit on - but cover it with towels as it gets hot!

Yes, there was soot, but it can be cleaned up. I just wore one of my pairs of sandals out there. If you use the slippers provided the Butler will get new ones when they get too dirty.

Use your Butler for everything - from unpacking and packing (much easier for you and gives you more time on the day on get on and on the last day!) to booking restaurants/excursions, delivering drinks, arranging parties, etc, etc. We even had one offer to buy a lighter for us from a shop on board Aurora once as my Husband wanted to light a cigar (you could smoke on balconies then). If you get anything go wrong with the Suite ask your Butler to sort it out - don't bother ringing Reception.

Enjoy having one - you've paid for it and you don't get one at home!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous Cruises:- Seabourn Goddess II - Aug 2001, P&O Aurora - Oct 2001, P&O Oriana - Nov 2001, Hebridean Spirit - June 2002, Hebridean Spirit - Oct 2002, Seabourn Legend - July 2003, Seabourn Pride - Aug 2003, P&O Adonia (Old one) - July 2004, Hebridean Spirit - Oct 2004, P&O Aurora - Nov 2005, P&O Aurora - Aug 2006, P&O Arcadia - June 2007, QM2 - May 2008, P&O Arcadia - June 2009, P&O Arcadia - Nov 2009, P&O Azura - April 2010 (Maiden Voyage) P&O Azura - July 2011, P&O Azura - Aug 2012, P&O Arcadia - Oct 2012, P&O Oceana - July 2013, P&O Adonia - Aug 2013, P&O Arcadia - June 2014, P&O Adonia - Aug 2014, P&O Arcadia - Dec 2014, P&O Arcadia - July 2015 (2 cruises back to back) P&O Britannia - Sept 2015, P&O Aurora - Dec 2015, P&O Oceana - March 2016, P&O Britannia - July 2016, P&O Arcadia - July 2017, P&O Adonia - August 2017
England
1,568 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
To tell someone to ‘ignore’ all the comments from those of us who have had major issues with aft suites on Britannia is ridiculous. I guess some people are luckier than others, as the problems are worsened in certain atmospheric conditions than others, but we can’t all be wrong. Be clear, it isn’t just a minor inconvenience. It is like oil when it gets on skin and clothes and is a complete and utter pain.

That said, do not be deterred from aft suites on other ships. We had one on Ventura and have just returned from one on Arcadia. No problems with soot whatsoever.

Ignore advice on Britannia aft cabins at your peril.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 162 nights over 15 cruises (Arcadia, Aurora x 4, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 85 nights over 5 cruises (2018 - Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2, 2020 - Iona, Aurora)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
R802 Aurora 9/3/18. Northern Lights. 12 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
J807 Arcadia 1/7/18. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
82 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
I can't remember if anyone has said tis already but you can get free laundry for soot stained clothes, even if just from sunbathing on the aft decks
Edinburgh
3,686 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by Cathygh
I can't remember if anyone has said tis already but you can get free laundry for soot stained clothes, even if just from sunbathing on the aft decks
The fact is it shouldn't happen and we got to the stage when we couldn't use the balcony because there was so much soot on it. P&O accepted it was a problem when we contacted them. I will say again: I strongly advise anybody who enjoys using their balcony to avoid the aft balconies on Britannia, particularly in cooler climates.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Still to come:
P&O Aurora USA and Canada 16th September 2018
P&O Ventura Bermuda, USA and Caribbean 5th February 2019
P&O Oriana Spain, Corsica and Italy, 17th September 2019. CANCELLED BY P&O
Celebrity Infinity Adriatic, Sicily and Spain, 24th August 2019
P&O Ventura USA and Caribbean February 2020
England
1,568 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by tartanexile81
The fact is it shouldn't happen and we got to the stage when we couldn't use the balcony because there was so much soot on it. P&O accepted it was a problem when we contacted them. I will say again: I strongly advise anybody who enjoys using their balcony to avoid the aft balconies on Britannia, particularly in cooler climates.
Agreed. Too many of us saying the same thing to just be ‘ignored’.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 162 nights over 15 cruises (Arcadia, Aurora x 4, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 85 nights over 5 cruises (2018 - Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2, 2020 - Iona, Aurora)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
R802 Aurora 9/3/18. Northern Lights. 12 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
J807 Arcadia 1/7/18. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
Scotland
1,314 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by Selbourne
Agreed. Too many of us saying the same thing to just be ‘ignored’.
Agree 100%. Only those who have been there know just what an annoyance it actually is. While it is not always an issue, it is a real gamble, one I would not be prepared to take.
Warwickshire, England
1,754 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
The way they changed the colour of the aft loungers from white to black was a bit of a giveaway that they had a problem they were trying to cover up.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike

Aurora 2004 - Sun Princess 2005 -QE2 2006 - Oceana 2007 - Grand Princess 2007 - Oriana 2008 - QM2 2008 - Grand Princess 2009 - Voyager of the Seas 2009 - Oceana 2009 - Oriana 2010 - Star Princess 2011 - Grand Princess 2012 - Oceana 2012 - Grand princess 2012 (again) - Ruby Princess May 2013 - Ruby Princess October 2013 - Emerald Princess May 2014 - Grand Princess November 2014 - Anthem of the Seas June 2015 - Britannia Dec 2015 - Emerald Princess May 2016 - Britannia Dec 2016 - Oceana 2017 - Royal Princess June 2018 - Caribbean Princess October 2018
182 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by Eglesbrech
Agree 100%. Only those who have been there know just what an annoyance it actually is. While it is not always an issue, it is a real gamble, one I would not be prepared to take.
Obviously for some who have experienced it this wasn't really an issue,ourselves included
Bristol
27 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
Originally posted by netchells
Hi which suite/cabin were you in?
C733 - chose this central one as you get a slightly wider balcony than the others at the aft
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Next...
Bristol
27 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
Originally posted by Eglesbrech
Agreed - the carpets by the door, and balcony furniture looked very dirty. For a fairly new ship I was disappointed so mentioned it in the cruise questionnaire they leave after the first couple of days on the cruise. They couldn’t have tried harder to sort out, the carpets were cleaned, balcony cleaned... but that doesn’t help unfortunately as it’s all stained beyond cleaning.

If you aren’t bothered by these things then probably won’t be an issue. I did take pictures but have since deleted them as I want to remember the fantastic cruise in the Caribbean and not the black stained aft cabin.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Next...
182 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by Al_W

If you aren’t bothered by these things then probably won’t be an issue. I did take pictures but have since deleted them as I want to remember the fantastic cruise in the Caribbean and not the black stained aft cabin.
Exactly,at the end of the day you get on with it & enjoy your holiday,we loved having the space,peace & quiet & the shelter of the ships superstructure while at sea which totally outweighed any bad things.
And she isn't that new a ship now,5 years ago this month saw our first time on her & it was remarkable to us how different she looks,but then she has seen a lot of action in that time,it would be unreasonable IMO to expect her to look like new.

Somebody once told me that they weren't happy with an hotel room unless it looked like it was brand new,I can't imagine she would have been too happy too often!
Scotland
1,314 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by snaefell
Obviously for some who have experienced it this wasn't really an issue,ourselves included
It depends on the degree to which you were affected. Personally I don’t expect or want to go on any ship and have this level of soot polluting my air and messing up my balcony and subsequently anything else it touches.

It did not stop me enjoying my holiday, it did however stop me enjoying the balcony I had paid for.