Rhapsody - man overboard

It was the Rhapsody this happened on.

Just heard a news report that a body was found in the area by one of the search vessels.

Yes, ABC has reported -

"A body has been recovered from the water after a man fell overboard from a cruise ship off the Queensland coast.

The male passenger disappeared about 2:00am AEST from the cruise ship Rhapsody of the Seas.

It was 550 kilometres east of Brisbane on a trip from Sydney to the South Pacific.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority says another cruise ship, a merchant ship and a Queensland Government plane were involved in the search.

Authorities say the body was spotted by the ship's crew this morning."

So sad for him and his family, especially on a Christmas cruise.

I wish the news would stop reporting the words "fell off" it is impossible to fall of a ship. There are only three options available being fooling around, murder or suicide. It is impossible to ever fall off a cruise ship.

Would have to agree with you on that one!!

Barry

Yes, a tragic end for those on the Christmas cruise with him, whether family or friends. Also sad for the other passengers as it will impact on their cruise experience. I hope that the authorities are able to piece together what happened to provide answers for the family. Thoughts are with all concerned.

KarateMan, it is possible to 'fall off' a cruise ship; why someone does fall is the difference. If someone is fooling around, slips and falls, that is still 'falling off'. If someone climbing on a railing to retrieve an item and falls, likewise. I think your intention is to point out that people do not simply trip over something and fall off a cruise ship but technically a person can accidentally fall off.

Edited by Aussieflyer

I wish the news would stop reporting the words "fell off" it is impossible to fall of a ship. There are only three options available being fooling around, murder or suicide. It is impossible to ever fall off a cruise ship.

Like "bazzaw", agree with you.

LuLu

Yes, a tragic end for those on the Christmas cruise with him, whether family or friends. Also sad for the other passengers as it will impact on their cruise experience. I hope that the authorities are able to piece together what happened to provide answers for the family. Thoughts are with all concerned.

KarateMan, it is possible to 'fall off' a cruise ship; why someone does fall is the difference. If someone is fooling around, slips and falls, that is still 'falling off'. If someone climbing on a railing to retrieve an item and falls, likewise. I think your intention is to point out that people do not simply trip over something and fall off a cruise ship but technically a person can accidentally fall off.

Yes it is just so irritating being a massive cruise lover seeing all the news reports with "fell off"

One simply does not trip over lose shoe laces stumble and fall overboard. The phrase "fell off" leaves it to open to the possibility that it was just a freak accident.

In my opinion from looking at just about every cruise ship that visits here the ships are safe and designed in such a way that it is impossible to have an accident and slip and fall off.

I have just received an email from a friend on board. She said the Pacific Pearl helped search. The Rhapsody is now heading for Noumea and will be late. She said the rumours as to why had started.

Cheers

Di

Oh no this is terrible news. Both of us just came off the ship from the islands last week. Makes me feel all creepy especially considering the discussion I had with Jen:eek:

A terrible occurance, especially for his family.:(

I agree that the least likely story is he 'fell off' however, the alternatives (suicide or homocide) are for the police to disclose and not the media.

Edited by MicCanberra

I agree you just don't fall overboard. Very sad for the family though. According to this report the ship is returning to Sydney for a police investigation.

http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/man-dies-after-falling-overboard-from-cruise-ship-rhapsody-of-the-seas-550km-east-of-brisbane/story-fnii5v6w-1226787953928

Oh no this is terrible news. Both of us just came off the ship from the islands last week. Makes me feel all creepy especially considering the discussion I had with Jen:eek:

Not sure what your discussion was with Jen:eek: but Brian was taken to hospital yesterday because of the cold that you gave us all:p

Apparently the ship will be late in to Noumea.

Cheers

Di

I agree you just don't fall overboard. Very sad for the family though. According to this report the ship is returning to Sydney for a police investigation.

http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/man-dies-after-falling-overboard-from-cruise-ship-rhapsody-of-the-seas-550km-east-of-brisbane/story-fnii5v6w-1226787953928

What would be the point in returning to Sydney? Doubt whether there would anything they could not "investigate" while still at sea. Judging by the other comment in the item that a "merchant ship" the Pacific Pearl helped in the search there may be some inaccuracies in the report....useless media.

Can't recall any other cruise ship lately that has returned to port after a similar incident.

Royal Caribbean moderators responded on facebook and this is a copy & paste

On Saturday morning Rhapsody of the Seas was sailing towards Noumea, New Caledonia, when a guest witnessed another guest going overboard. The ship's Captain immediately stopped the ship, turned around, and alerted the local authorities.

A review of the ship’s CCTV footage observed the guest going overboard. The location of the ship was marked on the ship’s Global Positioning System (GPS) and the ship conducted a search for the missing guest along with other ships in the search zone at that time, as well as Search & Rescue aircraft.

With the assistance of the Search & Rescue aircraft, Rhapsody of the Seas was able to locate the guest however regretfully the guest was found to be deceased at the time. Royal Caribbean’s Care Team is providing support to the guest’s family and travelling companions and our thoughts and prayers are with them.

Rhapsody of the Seas is now en route to Noumea, New Caledonia.

Edited by rkmw

Rhapsody of the Seas is currently about 490 km from Noumea on a 9 day cruise, Sydney -Sydney, 19-28 December.

My theory as a retired NSW Walloper of 35 years is 'Detectives from NSW Police Maritime Local Area Command will fly to Noumea and commence to investigate the incident by interviewing any witness, including pax and crew and prepare a report for the NSW Coroner, as it would appear the incident occurred off the NSW coast. Yes, it could be a crime scene, who knows. Falling, pushed, suicide, who knows? Yes, a tragic incident, like they all are.

Edited by NSWP

Spot on.