Carnival Panorama to be Based in Long Beach in 2019

shof515

The rest of the ships did just fine.

Again, Nevada, Arizona, and California were among the top 10 states most impacted by the recession. Long Beach is very much a drive-in port from surrounding states. Florida was also hit hard but they have much more fly in and non-regional passengers. Makes sense that Long Beach had a helluva harder time filling ships when the 50 million or so people within 8 hour driving distance were struggling among the worst in the country.

Now, the tables have turned again. California and Nevada having the biggest rebounds from the recession and now have booming economies once again...makes sense for new growth in the West.

Again, Nevada, Arizona, and California were among the top 10 states most impacted by the recession. Long Beach is very much a drive-in port from surrounding states. Florida was also hit hard but they have much more fly in and non-regional passengers. Makes sense that Long Beach had a helluva harder time filling ships when the 50 million or so people within 8 hour driving distance were struggling among the worst in the country.

Now, the tables have turned again. California and Nevada having the biggest rebounds from the recession and now have booming economies once again...makes sense for new growth in the West.

There are reasons for everything. I was not disputing whether it happened or how severe it was. Lots of ports depend on drive in, first and foremost that come to mind is Galveston. The plain facts were they could not fill a brand new ship. One intinerary and a soft winter market. She was the only new product in town then, now the Panorama will compete against a an almost new NCL bliss. All water under the bridge now. I hope she does well there and proves me wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a Canadian west coaster I am excited to have the

Opportunity to sail on a nice newer ship without blowing half my vacation budget on a flight to the East Coast!

Hopefully they will add Hawaii/ Vancouver/ Alaska to the itineraries!!

I am beginning to think the senior team is in need of a check up from the neck up. Either that or really short memories on how they could not give cabins away on the Splendor.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Things have changed since then. Big metal headed to the west coast with Norwegian Bliss and Royal Princess sailing to the Mexican Riviera. Also Royal Caribbean will be sending Ovation of the Seas and Celebrity is adding a second Solstice class ship to the west coast as well to sail northbound to Alaska. Carnival would be stupid not to upgrade their product there as well.

Now, if Carnival could send some real competition to the Southern Caribbean from San Juan. Even with last year’s devastating hurricane season, Norwegian Epic and Freedom of the Seas will both be based in San Juan next year while Carnival will continue operating the small and aging Fascination from there...

It does stink it's the same 7 day Mexican Riviera cruises. Why not bring back the longer cruises down to Acapulco, Ixtapa, Manzanillo?

Some of these Mexican ports your safety cannot be guaranteed in. Bad business for Carnival and Mexico. Acapulco used to a wonderful place. But now that’s it’s cartel territory [emoji22]

Would love to see this change soon but I’m doubtful.

There are reasons for everything. I was not disputing whether it happened or how severe it was. Lots of ports depend on drive in, first and foremost that come to mind is Galveston. The plain facts were they could not fill a brand new ship. One intinerary and a soft winter market. She was the only new product in town then, now the Panorama will compete against a an almost new NCL bliss. All water under the bridge now. I hope she does well there and proves me wrong.

Yeah, come on Jimbo, how about some love for us Westcoasters (and bordering states) who always have to fly 6+ hours to sail on a new ship, plus adding the time zones on top of it.

Who cares if it doesn’t work out in the end. Some virgin cruisers over here might actually be able to cruise on a new ship now.

I am beginning to think the senior team is in need of a check up from the neck up. Either that or really short memories on how they could not give cabins away on the Splendor.

Yes but since the Splendor they have launched 2 new classes of ships that so far have yielded 4 new ships and they have all, for the most part, done largely similar caribbean itineraries. Some variation could be very good. What happened almost a decade ago isn't necessarily an indication of the future. Think of the world of 2009 and the world of today, who could have imagined some of this?

Anyways, right now they are using two ships that can't even serve the number of guests of one new Vista-class ship, so they obviously feel the demand is there.

It does stink it's the same 7 day Mexican Riviera cruises.

Not for those of us who don’t live on the west coast and have never sailed the Mexican Riviera. A big, brand new ship is a huge incentive to hop on a plane and head west.

Between Norwegian and Princess deploying some of their largest and newest ships in the upcoming year in this market in addition to Carnival, now there’s some real competition that will attract cruisers that otherwise would’ve not considered this route. I think that it’s a fantastic move.

Yeah, come on Jimbo, how about some love for us Westcoasters (and bordering states) who always have to fly 6+ hours to sail on a new ship, plus adding the time zones on top of it.

Who cares if it doesn’t work out in the end. Some virgin cruisers over here might actually be able to cruise on a new ship now.

Lol, ok enjoy!

Things have changed since then. Big metal headed to the west coast with Norwegian Bliss and Royal Princess sailing to the Mexican Riviera. Also Royal Caribbean will be sending Ovation of the Seas and Celebrity is adding a second Solstice class ship to the west coast as well to sail northbound to Alaska. Carnival would be stupid not to upgrade their product there as well.

Now, if Carnival could send some real competition to the Southern Caribbean from San Juan. Even with last year’s devastating hurricane season, Norwegian Epic and Freedom of the Seas will both be based in San Juan next year while Carnival will continue operating the small and aging Fascination from there...

I cant explain that one either

The size of ship is surprising but great news. Vista was a disappointment but I'll take anything newer than those old rust buckets. Now if they can come back with 9+ day itineraries to all those less frequented ports. Isn't Carnival building a new port on or near the Baja? Looking forward to seeing the transit itinerary.

The size of ship is surprising but great news. Vista was a disappointment but I'll take anything newer than those old rust buckets. Now if they can come back with 9+ day itineraries to all those less frequented ports. Isn't Carnival building a new port on or near the Baja? Looking forward to seeing the transit itinerary.

You do realize that this is a sister ship to the Vista that you hate.....right?

Not for those of us who don’t live on the west coast and have never sailed the Mexican Riviera. A big, brand new ship is a huge incentive to hop on a plane and head west.

Between Norwegian and Princess deploying some of their largest and newest ships in the upcoming year in this market in addition to Carnival, now there’s some real competition that will attract cruisers that otherwise would’ve not considered this route. I think that it’s a fantastic move.

Add some time in Los Angeles, Universal Studios, Disneyland, San Diego, Laguna Nigel, one could have an excellent 2 week vacation on the west coast.

Be more adventurous and drive up to NorCal (Napa/Sonoma/SF/Tahoe) and you’ll see many parts of our beautiful state with all she has to offer.

No brainer adding a new ship in CA with all that’s here. A one week cruise is just a small part of experiencing the west coast.

Bienvenido! CA is a great place to spend your vacation time.

Bienvenido! CA is a great place to spend your vacation time.

Thanks, and I agree. We took a California coastal cruise on Princess a few years back, more because it fit our schedule and the price was too good to pass up than because we actually wanted to go there. Long story short, it was one of our best cruises ever. The ports along the California coast were wonderful and it truly opened up my eyes to what California has to offer.

Thanks, and I agree. We took a California coastal cruise on Princess a few years back, more because it fit our schedule and the price was too good to pass up than because we actually wanted to go there. Long story short, it was one of our best cruises ever. The ports along the California coast were wonderful and it truly opened up my eyes to what California has to offer.

I wonder why they could not add these along with the requisite stop in Ensenada or Vancouver....

I wonder why they could not add these along with the requisite stop in Ensenada or Vancouver....

They might. They could add RT’s from LB to San Francisco, maybe Santa Barbara, then hit Ensenada before or after heading back to LB. They also could do Pacific Coastal’s alternating embarkation and debarkations in Vancouver.

They might. They could add RT’s from LB to San Francisco, maybe Santa Barbara, then hit Ensenada before or after heading back to LB. They also could do Pacific Coastal’s alternating embarkation and debarkations in Vancouver.

It would work, they just don't tend to reach out to the creative side when it comes to itins.... but we will see.

Carnival has sold out the Splendor with 882 more passengers than Miracle out of Long Beach. Clearly the market is supporting increased capacity. There was a problem with terminal capacity out of the former Spruce Goose airplane hanger. With extensive modifications to the Dome it is almost ready for the Panorama to tie up there. I passed through the Dome last week and found the Captain's Lounge delightful. It is nicely decorated and comfortable. It lacks a public address system and there should be warm macaroons and mimosas.

The city needs to provide more parking. The existing garage is too small. This weekend the Queen Mary parking lot is occupied by a Festival and attendees have filled the garage. People arriving to sail on the Splendor found no place to park. The first thing they need to do is move all port employees parking off property and shuttle them in to the facility. Next would be to provide secure economy off property guest parking with free shuttle to the port. Luggage would be checked in at that remote facility to end the schlepping of bags through the terminal. With 3,000 passengers arriving, and 3,000 departing the car loading and unloading areas need to be separated and larger than the existing area in the garage.

You do realize that this is a sister ship to the Vista that you hate.....right?

Yup, that's why I have not re-booked Vista and have no plans on the Horizon. ;) But I would sail Panorama due to its LB location and hopefully creative itineraries. I do miss the crew that has been rolling out the new ships for the last decade but some have left Carnival.