Need to make the right choice!! HELP!

Mlc281

Hi everyone - I’m new to Cruise Critic. I’m in the process of trying to choose between 2 cruises for August 2019. This will be my husbands first cruise (besides a little 3 day sampler from Melbourne we did in March - just to make sure it was for him - which he enjoyed). We will also meet our 17, 20 & 23 year kids half way through our trip - they will be coming on the cruise with us. I really need to get the choice right - husband is a bit ‘fussy’ - If I don’t get the cruise part ‘right’, I will have a hard time getting him back to Europe again!! The cruises I’m looking at are: Royal Carribean - Vision of the Seas - 12 night Eastern cruise from Barcelona OR Norwegian Jade - 10 night - from Rome (which we then want to have approx 4 days in Rome at the end). It doesn’t worry me if we have to fly from Barcelona over to Rome for this part. If you had to choose between the 2 - which would you choose & why. Or would you choose another cruise line? Malta & Santorini are non negotiables. Norwegian currently have a promotion of the Ultimate beverage package (which for 5 of us works out to be a great deal). I’ve cruised Royal Carribean (med cruise) 2 years ago & loved it - but I’m not fussy - was just thrilled to be in Europe with a friend. I HAVE to get this right - so hit me up with your thoughts! Thanks in advance :)

Hi everyone - I’m new to Cruise Critic. I’m in the process of trying to choose between 2 cruises for August 2019. This will be my husbands first cruise (besides a little 3 day sampler from Melbourne we did in March - just to make sure it was for him - which he enjoyed). We will also meet our 17, 20 & 23 year kids half way through our trip - they will be coming on the cruise with us. I really need to get the choice right - husband is a bit ‘fussy’ - If I don’t get the cruise part ‘right’, I will have a hard time getting him back to Europe again!! The cruises I’m looking at are: Royal Carribean - Vision of the Seas - 12 night Eastern cruise from Barcelona OR Norwegian Jade - 10 night - from Rome (which we then want to have approx 4 days in Rome at the end). It doesn’t worry me if we have to fly from Barcelona over to Rome for this part. If you had to choose between the 2 - which would you choose & why. Or would you choose another cruise line? Malta & Santorini are non negotiables. Norwegian currently have a promotion of the Ultimate beverage package (which for 5 of us works out to be a great deal). I’ve cruised Royal Carribean (med cruise) 2 years ago & loved it - but I’m not fussy - was just thrilled to be in Europe with a friend. I HAVE to get this right - so hit me up with your thoughts! Thanks in advance :)

Are you serious?

Husband "fussy?" Let HIM do the planning.

Husband "fussy?" Let HIM do the planning.

When I say ‘fussy’ - I mean things like cleanliness & quality of food are high on his list. The little P&O sampler we did - whilst he enjoyed cruising, he wasn’t a fan of the food (and in comparison to RC & the Carnival cruise I did a few weeks ago......yeah, it was probably at the bottom of my list)

When I say ‘fussy’ - I mean things like cleanliness & quality of food are high on his list. The little P&O sampler we did - whilst he enjoyed cruising, he wasn’t a fan of the food (and in comparison to RC & the Carnival cruise I did a few weeks ago......yeah, it was probably at the bottom of my list)

If it's food/cleanliness that are most important, you'll want to cruise on a line like Oceania. Arguably, the best food at sea. And, even the "buffet" Terrace Café has food served. So, no dirty passenger fingers touching anything.

Originally posted by NBBaker Are you serious?

Is there a problem with my question? I’ve no experience on NCL, so a genuine question.

Well, I read your post twice and you are a bit like a pinball bouncing around. I don't see a cohesive, coherent question. And why would you fly from Barcelona back to Italy when you can get a cruise that ends in Italy?

Maybe you can call a Travel Agent and they can do all of this leg work for you. They are experts in this field. And, NO, no one can recommend, name, or talk about travel agents on CC. Just FYI.

If it's food/cleanliness that are most important, you'll want to cruise on a line like Oceania. Arguably, the best food at sea. And, even the "buffet" Terrace Café has food served. So, no dirty passenger fingers touching anything.

And at twice the price! When you spend as much money as Oceania charges, they BETTER have great food. :cool:

Flatbush Flyer answers every post that asks for recommendations with the same response - Oceania. He must think everyone is as rich as he is. New flash - we all aren't! ;p

And at twice the price! When you spend as much money as Oceania charges, they BETTER have great food. [emoji41]

Flatbush Flyer answers every post that asks for recommendations with the same response - Oceania. He must think everyone is as rich as he is. New flash - we all aren't! ;p

Do the math on a bottom line "net daily rate" (not just cabin cost) comparison of some premium lines (not just Oceania) to Celebrity, HAL etc. A premium line's inclusion of airfare (or air credit), internet, beverages, specialty restaurants and some amount of other "no extra cost" options (excursions, booze, SBC, et al) may give you an overall expenditure closer to the mass market cost than you realize. There are numerous past posts on CC doing some of these net daily rate comparisons -particularly for trips requiring international air travel.

That said, OP said food was important to fussy husband. Would it be better to lie to her?

Originally posted by NBBaker Are you serious?

Well, I read your post twice and you are a bit like a pinball bouncing around. I don't see a cohesive, coherent question. And why would you fly from Barcelona back to Italy when you can get a cruise that ends in Italy?

Maybe you can call a Travel Agent and they can do all of this leg work for you. They are experts in this field. And, NO, no one can recommend, name, or talk about travel agents on CC. Just FYI.

My question was - which cruise would you choose? Flying from Barcelona to Rome is no issue, if the RC cruise is better. I just want to make his first Europe trip a great one, so I have no trouble convincing my workaholic husband to return. I apologise if you feel my question wasn’t ‘cohesive or coherent’ enough.

Hi,

Your question(s) were quite clear to me...but I will answer your second question. Would I choose another cruise line ? Yes !

I have cruised on several of the mainstream lines, but have been the most satisfied with Celebrity Cruises...for food quality; exceptional staff and service; design, cleanliness and layout of ships; interesting approachable, and fun fellow passengers; and overall just a relaxing, enjoyable and stress-free cruising vacation...even on busy Med. and other area itineraries !

Celebrity has a brand new ship coming into service later this year (Celebrity Edge) that has an August itinerary that meets all your

Port needs (stops in Malta and Santorini, and begins and ends in Rome)...and take it from a laid-back, (but at the same time fussy when it comes to vacation needs) guy like me...I think your “fussy” husband will enjoy the “cruise part” on a Celebrity Cruise !

Look at the August 19, 2019 itinerary.

Enjoy whatever you choose...and Welcome to Cruise Critic !

BBL

Edited by BourbonNBluesLuvr
typo

Hi,

Your question(s) were quite clear to me...but I will answer your second question. Would I choose another cruise line ? Yes !

I have cruised on several of the mainstream lines, but have been the most satisfied with Celebrity Cruises...for food quality; exceptional staff and service; design, cleanliness and layout of ships; interesting approachable, and fun fellow passengers; and overall just a relaxing, enjoyable and stress-free cruising vacation...even on busy Med. and other area itineraries !

Celebrity has a brand new ship coming into service later this year (Celebrity Edge) that has an August itinerary that meets all your

Port needs (stops in Malta and Santorini, and begins and ends in Rome)...and take it from a laid-back, (but at the same time fussy when it comes to vacation needs) guy like me...I think your “fussy” husband will enjoy the “cruise part” on a Celebrity Cruise !

Look at the August 19, 2019 itinerary.

Enjoy whatever you choose...and Welcome to Cruise Critic !

BBL

THANK YOU!!! This is the kind of info I was after - someone to help point me in the right direction, or offer an alternative if I was missing one. I will go and check the Celebrity Cruise out now :)

I was going to suggest the Edge also. Going to cost you more, but it is worth it. In the future, when trying to find a cruise that visits particular ports,... Instead of wading through cruise line websites, go to http://www.cruisetimetables.com and choose your desired ports from the Ports of Call list. It will show you who is calling there, and their itineraries. EM

I was gonna say, if your husband is THAT particular, let HIM do the choosing...so he'll be sure it's "right"!

TOTALLY uncalled for. You did not help the OP, so why did you respond? OP, I also agree with Celebrity. They sometimes give free perks also. AKA...free drink package. :)

Personally, I didn't find much difference between Royal Caribbean and Norwegian....have sailed on both of them numerous times. Each of them might excel a bit on one area or another, but overall...really not much difference. Sorry if that is not helpful to your question...

I would choose Royal Caribbean over NCL. I think the food in the main dining room is better on board Royal Caribbean, I also like the ship designs better.

Princess is another option Crown Princess does a great 12-night the British Isles in August.

Jonathan

Why oh why did I just watch a video on Celebrity Edge ! Looks gorgeous - but with having to pay for 5 of us, it’s double what I was allowing for. When is the best time to book (in Australia)? I’m subscribed to a heap of cruise companies - can see offers coming through in the lead up to EOFY - should I be booking now? Or could I hold off a bit (and see if any other good offers come through).

Book the cruise now and if the price changes before final payment you can contact the company that you booked the cruise with to adjust the price. After final payment in certain circumstances you can also contact the booking company that may give you onboard credit instead of a price reduction. Also, in reference to the new Celebrity Edge, you will be paying a premium price because at the time it will be Celebrity’s newest ship in service.

Book the cruise now and if the price changes before final payment you can contact the company that you booked the cruise with to adjust the price. After final payment in certain circumstances you can also contact the booking company that may give you onboard credit instead of a price reduction. Also, in reference to the new Celebrity Edge, you will be paying a premium price because at the time it will be Celebrity’s newest ship in service.

She is from Australia - it doesn't work that way for them.

Since you have several young ones in your group I would pick RCCL, they have a much younger crowd with lots more activities to do. And there’s lots more nightlife on board too. We loved Norwegian and Princess but the ships were dead by 10 pm. I mean it was like a ghost town. Beautiful ships, great food, but just no nightlife. RCCL will have a robust nightlife and tons of onboard activities. The problem with the higher end luxury cruise lines is that most younger people can’t afford them so the median age is 60’s and up. So those cruise lines are geared towards that age with few activities past 10 pm. I think your husband and kids will love Royal. They have excellent food and service and are very well kept. Plus it will have a younger crowd with more activities and nightlife geared toward a younger family like yours.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 6/25/2018 at 10:50 AM, cruisinqt said:

Since you have several young ones in your group I would pick RCCL, they have a much younger crowd with lots more activities to do. And there’s lots more nightlife on board too. We loved Norwegian and Princess but the ships were dead by 10 pm. I mean it was like a ghost town. Beautiful ships, great food, but just no nightlife. RCCL will have a robust nightlife and tons of onboard activities. The problem with the higher end luxury cruise lines is that most younger people can’t afford them so the median age is 60’s and up. So those cruise lines are geared towards that age with few activities past 10 pm. I think your husband and kids will love Royal. They have excellent food and service and are very well kept. Plus it will have a younger crowd with more activities and nightlife geared toward a younger family like yours.

Thank you so much for your reponse - I know it’s been a while since I posted the question - I ended up booking RC (22 August 2019).  A few others came back to me with the same response (about it being a bit better for younger crowd).  Staring to get really excited now 🙂