Southeast Asia-Singapore to Hong Kong on Millennium

mrsm88

Going to be aboard the Eclipse in April & thinking about booking a Southeast Asia trip for 2019 or 2020- has anyone done this itinerary that could answer the following questions:

1. Are the ports a large travel distance to the desired city? Especially Bangkok- I think I read it's 2 hours? What do they do when you are docked overnight- kind of makes you want to stay in Bangkok overnight?!

2. Is the cruise that includes Thailand & Taiwan or the one that starts with 2 days Singapore & end with 2 days Hong Kong a better itinerary- I did want to visit Thailand, but not sure at the expense of less time in Singapore.

3. Should we add on the pre-cruise in Singapore or do it on our own.

4. Is the water calm?

5. Has the ship been or are there plans to refurbish this ship?

Thanks for any info that might sway me one way of another, still a bit freaked out about the travel time to get there :)

1. Some of the cities are quite a distance from the port. Some folks do and can spend the night ashore. You will need to research about restrictions.

2. All the itineraries, in my opinion, are great. You can not do them all. Maybe a second or third trip?

3. If you do some research, you can almost always come out better on your own verses the cruise line.

4. Sometimes, and sometimes it isn't. ;)

5. Millennium has been refreshed a few times. We were on her for the new year. She is in pretty good shape.

I hope I was of some help. :)

Edited by Texed

Going to be aboard the Eclipse in April & thinking about booking a Southeast Asia trip for 2019 or 2020- has anyone done this itinerary that could answer the following questions:

My wife and I did the HK to Singapore in Nov 2016

1. Are the ports a large travel distance to the desired city? Especially Bangkok- I think I read it's 2 hours? What do they do when you are docked overnight- kind of makes you want to stay in Bangkok overnight?!

Yes, several of the cities of interest are quite distant from the port. For example, Bangkok might be only 1.5 hours one way, but could also easily be 2.5 hours - depending on traffic. Hanoi is at least 3 hours one way and HCM City (Saigon) is about 1.5 or more.

Since we had been to Bangkok several times before we went to the Nong Nooch Tropical Botanical Garden near Pattaya rather than going into Bangkok; but if you have never been there then you should spend an overnight in Bangkok.

Although we had never been to Hanoi, we were not interested in the long bus ride each way and instead did an excellent overnight on a Chinese Junk in Ha Long Bay - 8 couples from our roll call chartered the junk from Indochina Junk - great food and accommodations and a nice variety of scenery and activities. You can also do a day-trip on a junk in Ha Long Bay, but I would not recommend going to Hanoi unless you can stay overnight there.

The trip to Saigon was not bad with the new road only taking 1.5 hours (about the same as going to Rome or Florence on a Med cruise.) Took the ship's DIY transportation in and out - then 3 couples from our roll call took an independent tour of the markets (food tasting.)

2. Is the cruise that includes Thailand & Taiwan or the one that starts with 2 days Singapore & end with 2 days Hong Kong a better itinerary- I did want to visit Thailand, but not sure at the expense of less time in Singapore.

Not sure which cruises you are looking at. I compared the 2/16/19 HK to S with an overnight in Taiwan with the 3/2/19 S to HK with the stop in Saigon. Both cruises have an overnight in both HK and Singapore. Comparison: February cruise has an overnight in Taiwan, only the day in Ha Long Bay (Hanoi) and no stop in Saigon. March cruise has no stop in Taiwan, an overnight in Ha Long Bay (Hanoi) and a day in Saigon.

If you intend to go to Hanoi, then you would not enjoy the long day trip you would be forced to take on the Feb cruise and would certainly prefer the Mar cruise with the overnight in Hanoi. If you do not intend to go to Hanoi, then the day versus overnight in Ha Long Bay would probably not be the decision driver and the main tradeoff would be the overnight in Taiwan versus the day in Saigon. We have enjoyed both ports and cannot give you a clear recommendation of one over the other. You will need to do some research on both ports to see which you may prefer.

3. Should we add on the pre-cruise in Singapore or do it on our own.

Both Hong Kong and Singapore are very easy to do on your own. I would recommend an extra day in each port.

4. Is the water calm?

Impossible to predict, but no better or worse than any other cruise.

5. Has the ship been or are there plans to refurbish this ship?

The Millennium was last refurbished in early 2016 and is scheduled to be refurbished again in May 2019.

Thanks for any info that might sway me one way of another, still a bit freaked out about the travel time to get there :)

Yeah, for our fall 2016 Asian B2B only economy air was in our budget with limited itinerary choices. From the East Coast we had a 1 stop to Tokyo that took about 17 hours total time and a 2 stop return from Singapore with a total time of 27 hours :mad:

But it was well worth it. Have a wonderful cruise.

I'm looking forward to reading the responses you get. I have never done a SE Asia cruise, however; I just booked on the Millennium for February 1, 2020 about three weeks ago.

The ship will sail from Singapore to Hong Kong with ports of call in Vietnam, Taiwan and Japan.

I'll try to follow along with the thread and hopefully learn a thing or two! :)

Let us know if you end up booking and which sailing you choose.

Safe travels to all! :)

Just returned home from SE Asia cruise on Millennium. Wow, wow and WOW! We had an amazing time.

Started in Hong Kong but with rain, fog and cold, Halong Bay much the same but absolutely stunning. Hue was cold and wet, but did a cyclo ride which was huge fun. Ho Chi Minh City was warm and sunny - great. We booked our own tours with Authentic Asia Tours and can highly recommend them.

They also arranged an overnight stay in Bangkok with car, driver and two full days - brilliant, but be prepared for huge crowds.

Did our own thing in Singapore as we’d been previously so just went to Chinatown and the new hotel in the sky.

We added on 3 days in Cambodia to see Angkor Wat and that was fabulous and well worthwhile. People were lovely, smiling and friendly everywhere and the food - oh boy, what can I say!!!!!!!!!!!

Hotel accommodation is great everywhere, you can get a bit pressurised by children wanting to sell stuff, and be prepared to haggle everywhere in markets.

Go for it, you won’t regret it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow & wow, you are all fantastic, thank you so much! Knowing I can stay overnight when in port is a huge relief.

Since I am still researching my upcoming cruise, I will reread all the info I get here on my sea days on the Eclipse (Ireland/Iceland cruise) & put 1 of these trips on hold for most likely 2020. So appreciate the fast replies, thanks again ~

I've booked the reverse trip (Hong Kong to Singapore) for this upcoming Christmas/New Year's:

22 Dec 2018 Hong Kong, China

23 Dec 2018 Hong Kong, China Departure 8:00 PM

24 Dec 2018 At Sea

25 Dec 2018 Hanoi, (Halong Bay), Vietnam Arrival 7:00 AM

26 Dec 2018 Hanoi, (Halong Bay), Vietnam Departure 1:00 PM

27 Dec 2018 Hue/Danang (Chan May), Vietnam Arrival 8:00 AM Departure 7:00 PM

28 Dec 2018 At Sea

29 Dec 2018 Ho Chi Minh (Phu My), Vietnam Arrival 7:00 AM Departure 7:00 PM

30 Dec 2018 At Sea

31 Dec 2018 Bangkok / Laemchabang, Thailand Arrival 8:00 AM

01 Jan 2019 Bangkok / Laemchabang, Thailand Departure 6:00 PM

02 Jan 2019 At Sea

03 Jan 2019 At Sea

04 Jan 2019 Singapore Arrival 8:00 AM

05 Jan 2019 Singapore

As you can see, our itinerary includes overnights in Hong Kong, Hanoi, Bangkok and Singapore...perfect for those wishing to stay overnight in Hanoi or Bangkok. Unfortunately for me in that regard, my wife does not want to do that...So, long bus rides for us at least a couple of times. The overnights in Hong Kong and Singapore are not really that big a deal to us--

Overnights at the start or end of a cruise merely save a night at a hotel--we typically fly in or out of an embarkation port early and a disembarkation port late anyway. This time we won't as we are in a tight window during my wife's school district winter break...and we've been to Hong Kong before anyway...

Hanoi has a full day the first day...and an early departure the second day anyway...So, we'll likely take whatever bus ride there is day one to see Hanoi and do something close to the ship for a brief morning that second day. A similar situation is likely in Bangkok--one day riding all the way to the city, the other possibly staying closer to the port--Is there anything to see or do near the port there? For Saigon, there is limited choice other than the one-day thing...

I've got two other cruises prior to this one, so I haven't turned my attention to it much yet...Plus, so far, we are the ONLY ones on our Cruise Critic Roll Call...which also stunts our usual planning...

I've booked the reverse trip (Hong Kong to Singapore) for this upcoming Christmas/New Year's:

24 Dec 2018 At Sea

28 Dec 2018 At Sea

30 Dec 2018 At Sea

02 Jan 2019 At Sea

03 Jan 2019 At Sea

05 Jan 2019 Singapore

As you can see, our itinerary includes overnights in Hong Kong, Hanoi, Bangkok and Singapore...perfect for those wishing to stay overnight in Hanoi or Bangkok. Unfortunately for me in that regard, my wife does not want to do that...So, long bus rides for us at least a couple of times. The overnights in Hong Kong and Singapore are not really that big a deal to us--

Overnights at the start or end of a cruise merely save a night at a hotel--we typically fly in or out of an embarkation port early and a disembarkation port late anyway. This time we won't as we are in a tight window during my wife's school district winter break...and we've been to Hong Kong before anyway...

Hanoi has a full day the first day...and an early departure the second day anyway...So, we'll likely take whatever bus ride there is day one to see Hanoi and do something close to the ship for a brief morning that second day. A similar situation is likely in Bangkok--one day riding all the way to the city, the other possibly staying closer to the port--Is there anything to see or do near the port there? For Saigon, there is limited choice other than the one-day thing...

I've got two other cruises prior to this one, so I haven't turned my attention to it much yet...Plus, so far, we are the ONLY ones on our Cruise Critic Roll Call...which also stunts our usual planning...

If you enjoy open zoos, you might like to consider Khao Kheow Open Zoo from Laem Chabang. We arranged for a limousine to pick us up at the ship, take us to the zoo, then bring us back to the ship. We really enjoyed our day there.

In Phu My, we took a free shuttle to a nearby town, where we spent a most enjoyable day. I prefer this rather than long bus tours, with little time in the well known cities of interest.

• 2 weeks later...
We are boarding Millie on 18th Feb, Singapore to HK, will try and do some reports during the cruise. I know I wanted lots of info before we go and appreciated all the advice form here.

Remember to check out the Lado Strings Duo. They take requests. They'll even do Chicken Dance if you ask. You should. You'll be glad you did.

24 Dec 2018 At Sea

28 Dec 2018 At Sea

30 Dec 2018 At Sea

02 Jan 2019 At Sea

03 Jan 2019 At Sea

05 Jan 2019 Singapore

Does your wife realize that it is almost a 4-hour ride one way from Ha Long Bay to Hanoi - if you do it as a day trip you will spend more time on the bus than in Hanoi!

We are booked On Constellation Singapore to Shanghai Jan 20, 2019. Getting info from this thread. Anyone done our trip before?

We’re considering leaving the ship in Hong Kong to avoid two more sea days and a return visit in Shanghai. Is that permitted? We would fly out of Hong Kong after an extended visit there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you enjoy open zoos, you might like to consider Khao Kheow Open Zoo from Laem Chabang. We arranged for a limousine to pick us up at the ship, take us to the zoo, then bring us back to the ship. We really enjoyed our day there.

Having been to Bangkok before, we chose the ship's tour to this zoo for a fun day. It's one of the only places where you can have a live baby tiger on your lap or be in the cage with a full grown tiger and have a picture taken with you petting the tiger. You can also feed alligators (crocs?) chickens (not live ones...the same as you buy in the supermarket). All those cost a few $'s (less than $10 as I recall).

I would not recommend that anyone try to do Hanoi in a day....the ride over some of the worst roads with some of the worst drivers can take 4 hours each way. (lane markers and traffic lights are considered to be ornamental as far as we could tell). I know you've already paid for your cabin and food, but stay in Hanoi overnight.

If you have the opportunity to spend a few days in Hong Kong or Singapore, they are both wonderful cities to visit, very easy for tourists and worth the $'s and time (of course that's a personal decision).

Note: your sail into "Hanoi" takes you right into Halong Bay and you will many beautiful outcroppings from your ship. The cruises around the bay show many beautiful sites, but even if you choose not to do a boat tour, you will have seen why Halong bay is so well known. If you are going to stay on a junk overnight, please read about their safety on the internet. I don't want to frighten anyone, but the boats (day boats or overnight boats) are not the safest most up to date with latest safety equipment....we did an afternoon cruise and enjoyed it...then we had a driver take us to Hanoi for overnight at a hotel.

Final comment.....Bangkok has two seasons. a) very very hot and b) even hotter...but it's a "must see" city. Be prepared and take/drink water

1. Some of the cities are quite a distance from the port. Some folks do and can spend the night ashore. You will need to research about restrictions.

2. All the itineraries, in my opinion, are great. You can not do them all. Maybe a second or third trip?

3. If you do some research, you can almost always come out better on your own verses the cruise line.

4. Sometimes, and sometimes it isn't. ;)

5. Millennium has been refreshed a few times. We were on her for the new year. She is in pretty good shape.

I hope I was of some help. :)

Ed,

Glad you enjoyed your cruise; we did too when we took it the previous Christmas. In fact, we’d do the itinerary again and visit different places next time - so much to see and do (even without the cans on the Classic I’d take it again :p :D).

Interesting thread.

Have done 18 cruises, but never yet to Asia. On the one hand we're fascinated by the culture/scenery etc., on the other we're slightly daunted by the heat/humidity & unfamiliarity with Asian cuisine etc.. (Is the on board fare different than you would experience on a Celebrity cruise to 'western' destinations ?).

Just wondering how others found their experiences on their first visits to the region ?

Many thanks for any feedback.

Does your wife realize that it is almost a 4-hour ride one way from Ha Long Bay to Hanoi - if you do it as a day trip you will spend more time on the bus than in Hanoi!

There is a certain logic to returning same day.

Here's the port schedule again:

Whether we do a tour that returns same day or do one that spends the night, we will spend that 3-4 hours each way on a bus (or other transportation) either way...It is merely a matter of timing. If we have a tour that departs reasonably soon after the ship lands and is cleared--say 8:00 am--then we should be in Hanoi around 11:00-noon at the worst...Say we spend six hours or so touring and are on the road back to the ship at 5:00--even 6 or 7, we get back to the ship that night...with no worries about being late...The next morning, we have the option of doing something locally or even staying onboard. What we miss is any night time activity in Hanoi. If, instead, we stay over in Hanoi, we get to eat dinner locally, go out on the town at night--if that's really a reasonable option--and spend a night in a hotel. But, remember, our ship departs the next day at 1:00 pm--meaning we'd likely have to be back onboard by noon...SO, in the morning, there really would not be any time to do anything else in Hanoi. We'd have to hit the road by, at least, 8:00 am or so for the long ride back to make sure we were back onboard in time...IF the ship were in port there for two FULL days, it would make a difference...but, with "1.5", it's just a matter of when we take the long ride back to port...

I haven't really started researching private tours yet, but looking at the Celebrity shorexes, they offer an overnight excursion for $389 pp...or a "Hanoi Past and Present" 12 hour shorex starting at 7:30 am for $129.75 pp and a "Hanoi in a Day" 11 hour shorex at 7:30 am for $129.75 pp. Interestingly, the only excursion offered for day 2 is "Ha Long Bay by Boat"--3 hours, 45 minutes, $62.75...

Ed,

Glad you enjoyed your cruise; we did too when we took it the previous Christmas. In fact, we’d do the itinerary again and visit different places next time - so much to see and do (even without the cans on the Classic I’d take it again :p :D).

We would like to visit the area again also. Maybe with a few new ports. Let us know, maybe we can sail together again.:)

Have done 18 cruises, but never yet to Asia. On the one hand we're fascinated by the culture/scenery etc., on the other we're slightly daunted by the heat/humidity & unfamiliarity with Asian cuisine etc..

Just wondering how others found their experiences on their first visits to the region ?

It was our first cruise to S.E. Asia. I had been there "on business" during the war. We really enjoyed the cruise.

Actually, during December, most of the ports were pretty cool weatherize. Only Saigon was warm, but not extreme.

We enjoy sampling local cuisine. So, we tried to do excursions that allowed time for a least a quick lunch.

I hope this was of some help. :)

Interesting thread.

Have done 18 cruises, but never yet to Asia. On the one hand we're fascinated by the culture/scenery etc., on the other we're slightly daunted by the heat/humidity & unfamiliarity with Asian cuisine etc.. (Is the on board fare different than you would experience on a Celebrity cruise to 'western' destinations ?).

Many thanks for any feedback.

Hi there!

We did Southeast Asia (Singapore to Singapore) on Constellation in March 2017 - FABULOUS!

Fell in love with Singapore...

Then we did Japan (Tokyo to Shanghai) in October on Millennium - different experience again and AMAZING!

In a few weeks we will do Korea and China on Millennium (Hong Kong to Shanghai) - and we are really looking forward to experiencing new things again.

BTW: food on the ship is the same. The buffet offers some dishes leaning to the local cuisine but overall it is the same food as on other cruises.

We love to try different food in different countries and did so on the cruises mentioned above. Loved it - but we like Asian food in general.

If you have any questions, just shoot!

Unfortunately, because of little time, I skipped the review on our Southeast Asia cruise. But I am working on the travellogue of our Japan cruise. As soon as I am done I will post a link on CC.

If you are going to stay on a junk overnight, please read about their safety on the internet. I don't want to frighten anyone, but the boats (day boats or overnight boats) are not the safest most up to date with latest safety equipment....we did an afternoon cruise and enjoyed it...then we had a driver take us to Hanoi for overnight at a hotel.

Depends on the boat. Just got back yesterday from a wonderful trip with Indochina Junks. Felt as safe as we ever felt on any Celebrity ship. And much better service than on any Celebrity ship, and we've been on lots.

I sailed Singapore to HK in Dec 2016.

I arranged pre cruise stays 3 or 4 days each in Bangkok, Siem Reap and Singapore. I have previously vacationed in HK.

The land trip far exceeded my expectations and was wonderful. The cruise was boring and not an itinerary I would repeat.

The service levels in the hotels were far superior to that found on the ship.

I was happy to disembark.

Annie

We are booked On Constellation Singapore to Shanghai Jan 20, 2019. Getting info from this thread. Anyone done our trip before?

We’re considering leaving the ship in Hong Kong to avoid two more sea days and a return visit in Shanghai. Is that permitted? We would fly out of Hong Kong after an extended visit there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are also booked on this cruise.

Hi there!

We did Southeast Asia (Singapore to Singapore) on Constellation in March 2017 - FABULOUS!

Fell in love with Singapore...

Then we did Japan (Tokyo to Shanghai) in October on Millennium - different experience again and AMAZING!

In a few weeks we will do Korea and China on Millennium (Hong Kong to Shanghai) - and we are really looking forward to experiencing new things again.

BTW: food on the ship is the same. The buffet offers some dishes leaning to the local cuisine but overall it is the same food as on other cruises.

We love to try different food in different countries and did so on the cruises mentioned above. Loved it - but we like Asian food in general.

If you have any questions, just shoot!

Unfortunately, because of little time, I skipped the review on our Southeast Asia cruise. But I am working on the travellogue of our Japan cruise. As soon as I am done I will post a link on CC.

Very many thanks, very helpful.