Sea Day Grand Brunch Buffet Cancelled ?

Colorado Buffalo

Sounds like they are trying new traditions and getting rid of the old grand traditions ~ midnight buffets' date=' chocolate buffets, now the lunch buffet, etc.

When I first started cruising, seeing such things use to blow me away. Made a cruise even more special.[/quote']

OMG, you mean I missed the chocolate buffet on all my Celebrity cruises. I love chocolate, how could I have missed it.

outside of the carved watermelons and decorative tomatoes and backlit ice sculptures, I won't miss it. I walked around inside last year and although there was nice presentation, the food wasn't anything special. I do not miss midnight buffets or towel animals, for that matter.

say bye-bye to old traditions.

I even read a new review today regarding the Reflection, where the poster indicated that an employee on board Reflection indicated that Celebrity will also be phasing out some of the trivia, whatever that means. :rolleyes:

Not sure which employee indicated this, and it's probably another one of those things that should be taken with a grain of salt.

Edited by 4cats4me

Sounds like they are trying new traditions and getting rid of the old grand traditions ~ midnight buffets' date=' chocolate buffets, now the lunch buffet, etc.

When I first started cruising, seeing such things use to blow me away. Made a cruise even more special.[/quote']

OLD TRADITIONS? A lunch Buffett? Until we sailed the Reflection last year there was no such thing all the way back to our first in 1987. Please!

OLD TRADITIONS? A lunch Buffett? Until we sailed the Reflection last year there was no such thing all the way back to our first in 1987. Please!

Well, Wallie, compared to you, we're newcomers to X. Don't know exactly when they started -- but, there was a gala brunch buffet on our very first Solstice cruise (March 2010) -- and every cruise since. However, in the last couple of years, they have not been well advertised. If your MDR waiter didn't tell you, or you didn't look in the fine print of the daily bulletin, you could have well missed it.

[quote name='NLH Arizona']OMG, you mean I missed the chocolate buffet on all my Celebrity cruises. I love chocolate, how could I have missed it.[/quote]

[quote name='wallie5446']OLD TRADITIONS? A lunch Buffett? Until we sailed the Reflection last year there was no such thing all the way back to our first in 1987. Please![/quote]
:rolleyes: huh?!?
Champagne brunch, bountiful lunch buffet whatever you want to call it it's still a midday meal ;)
Where I live if you say 'Brunch' it usually means eating on a Sunday noon time served with mimosas and bloody mary's. :D

And what about the Midnight Buffet.....I wonder what time of day that meal took place? :D

To the chocolate fountain lovers - please indulge in fondue or other liquid chocolate at home or solid wrapped chocolate on the ship. I'm not a germaphobe but on a cruise, I try to be conscious about hand washing and food safety for my sake and those I cruise with. A stream of highly sugary substance continually circulated through a warm bath is a good way to incubate any germs.

Chocolate fountains are very difficult to clean thoroughly and many people may take the opportunity to double dip. Sometimes people also lick away chocolate drips/smudges and touch the things to dip.

If none of this deters you... A friend who knows about this stuff (studied immunology, friends with fellow PhDs who studied infections diseases & PhD MDs) called chocolate fountains cesspits of germs.

Buy some good chocolate and take it onboard with you. It is yours, all yours! Ask the ice cream person at Oceanview to vend those M&Ms & chocolate chips into a bowl for you. A big bowl if you want. Order the chocolate gelato. Get a double order of lava cake at dessert. Chocolate fountain & your wonderful germ cultivation environment, RIP.

[quote name='wallie5446']OLD TRADITIONS? A lunch Buffett? Until we sailed the Reflection last year there was no such thing all the way back to our first in 1987. Please![/QUOTE]

Actually it is an old tradition (midnight buffet), they just changed the time. Edited by dkjretired

[QUOTE=Feelin' Nauti';42250262]:rolleyes: huh?!?
Champagne brunch, bountiful lunch buffet whatever you want to call it it's still a midday meal ;)
Where I live if you say 'Brunch' it usually means eating on a Sunday noon time served with mimosas and bloody mary's. :D

And what about the Midnight Buffet.....I wonder what time of day that meal took place? :D[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dkjretired']Actually it is an old tradition (midnight buffet), they just changed the time.[/QUOTE]
I know how long they have been going on, and what time it was held, but thanks for reminding me.:rolleyes:

[quote name='jack24']Is there any truth to the rumour that the sea day brunch has been cancelled. Taking the Summit next Saturday really looking forward to the sea day brunch.[/quote]

Hi Jack, that is what this thread is discussing. Looks like you will have
to find out first hand after you board the ship on Saturday. Some
folks have been saying it has been discontinued but I don't think
anyone knows if it is fleetwide at this point.

Although I used to enjoy the midnight buffets years ago, I did not enjoy the mid-morning brunch buffet. Too many people, too much chaos, and too hard to find a table. After a terrible experience on one ship, I stay clear of the buffet. I prefer being able to eat in the MDR with service on sea days. Wish that the MDR was open on all days.

When they figure it's been gone long enough they will bring it back and charge $5.00 or $10.00 pp. It will be brought back as a "Special buffet". It's just a matter of time. Remember when specialty restaurants were $5.00 or $10.00 and now they are $40-50 pp. If they can make a buck off it they will, otherwise they will say passengers just aren't interested even though they don't promote it. Edited by bar_20

[quote name='bar_20']When they figure it's been gone long enough they will bring it back and charge $5.00 or $10.00 pp. It will be brought back as a "Special buffet". It's just a matter of time. Remember when specialty restaurants were $5.00 or $10.00 and now they are $40-50 pp. If they can make a buck off it they will, otherwise they will say passengers just aren't interested even though they don't promote it.[/QUOTE]

Excellent! Charge $40 and make it truly GRAND I say.

[quote name='bar_20']When they figure it's been gone long enough they will bring it back and charge $5.00 or $10.00 pp. It will be brought iback as a "Special buffet". It's just a matter of time. Remember when specialty restaurants were $5.00 or $10.00 and now they are $40-50 pp. If they can make a buck off it they will, otherwise they will say passengers just aren't interested even though the don't promote it.[/QUOTE]
And I thought I was cynical (but you may be right !).

Some have mentioned that the X excuse for discontinuing this brunch is a lack of interest
and yet so many have listed the crazy crowded zoo-like atmosphere as their reason for avoiding it.
There may have been reasons to discontinue the Grand Buffet (too much work ,wasted food etc)
but using the excuse of a lack of interest is fraudulent .

Is this a cynical version of a Yogi Berra's quote, "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded".

The buffet brunch was alive and kicking on the Solstice during our 'Top End' Australia cruise a few weeks ago. The MDR staff were promoting it a couple of days before and reminded us the night before. Also, crew around the ship and bar staff told us about it.

We didn't go. I'd seen enough food to last me a lifetime by then :rolleyes:, but I heard it was very busy and quite spectacular.

We had it on the 2/15 Century and 3/3 Equinox although it was simply listed as a "Brunch" on the newsletter and your server had to tell you it was the special buffet or you wouldn't know.

I enjoyed it but I agree, some people acted like they hadn't eaten in years! Why is that?

I called Celebrity today and the person I spoke with told me the brunch has not been cancelled, hopefully this is correct as the brunch is always a highlight of the cruise. I think they just cancel it when there is noro virus onboard.

Just back from 3/16 Infinity. No buffet but we were under 'precautions' for Noro (as they call it) so I wouldn't have want to participate anyway under these circumstances. Since they have cut back in many ways, not at all surprised if it has disappeared permanently.

[quote name='jack24']I called Celebrity today and the person I spoke with told me the brunch has not been cancelled, hopefully this is correct as the brunch is always a highlight of the cruise. I think they just cancel it when there is noro virus onboard.[/quote]

Hi Jack24,

Based on what others have shared via their onboard experiences, I wouldnt count on Celebrity's information being accurate... Perhaps your sailing will offer it, but I'd keep my expectations low.

I'm sailing on Eclipse next weekend, and will be sure to ask about it. Stay Tuned !