Docking overnight in Great Stirrup Cay being planned?

ALS1214

I saw a you tube video from Mr Traveler that said with the building of a pier the cruise lines are also planning to dock overnight on their private islands including NCL. Wonder if this is actually in the works?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When they initially announced the updates to GSC, there was reference and speculation about that happening. I don't ever recall anything more than the press release then a bunch of us here talking about whether that was what they actually intended to do or not.

Part of the discussion was what if the seas ended up being rough the next day how would the people get back on ship.

I guess the cruiselines are all competing to amp up their private island game and NCL would be amiss not to build a peir. I am hoping as the private island is a retreat away from vendors pestering you. If they docked overnight they could hold parties on the island at night...so many posibilties. Lets hope NCL considers what a peir could bring in terms of passemger enjoyment and profit for the company.

In addition, I would guess if they built a pier they would always be able to call on the island. Many times now the island is missed because it's too windy to tender. Certainly something I would think NCL would consider.

That's what people said about RCI's Little Stirrup Cay (Coco Cay) right next door. But now, their pier is just about done.

However, the geography of the two islands are quite different. Coco Cay is right near the drop off to deep water, and needs only about 200-300 feet to get to deep enough water for the actual berth pier. At GSC, there is a shallow bay before the drop off, and I estimate that the pier would need to be 800-1000 feet before you got to where you could put a T-pier (don't think they'd want to project another 1000 feet for the actual berth.

However, the geography of the two islands are quite different. Coco Cay is right near the drop off to deep water, and needs only about 200-300 feet to get to deep enough water for the actual berth pier. At GSC, there is a shallow bay before the drop off, and I estimate that the pier would need to be 800-1000 feet before you got to where you could put a T-pier (don't think they'd want to project another 1000 feet for the actual berth.

Are you sure about that? Looking at Google Earth, the shelf appears to be about the same distance from the northernmost point of GSC as it is from Coco Cay. Of course, I don't have my charts handy, so I don't know for sure. ;)

Are you sure about that? Looking at Google Earth, the shelf appears to be about the same distance from the northernmost point of GSC as it is from Coco Cay. Of course, I don't have my charts handy, so I don't know for sure. ;)

That's true, but that's not where the major development is, IIRC, could be wrong.

In addition, I would guess if they built a pier they would always be able to call on the island. Many times now the island is missed because it's too windy to tender. Certainly something I would think NCL would consider.
It would more than likely improve the ability to get to the island, but there still will be conditions where a captain won't want do dock. Within the last few months a ncl ship missed Nassau thanks to waves and if they build a pier at gsc won't have shelter or something to break the waves.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Norwegian has owned the island for many many years, long before the tougher environmental laws and a lot more expensive to built and maintain. If they had wanted to built a dock, they would have done so long before now.

The Island is always subject to damage from hurricanes. Have no idea how many times they have re-built the Island because of hurricanes. Hurricanes would probably badly damage a dock every couple of years or so.

I would also hope that the damage that dredging a channel and building a pier can do to the island will be considered.

An example is Princess Key. When I first visited there with Regency Cruise line that first offered a beach day there (spring of 1990), the island had beautiful sandy beaches that lead into crystal clear water with sandy bottoms. We used the ships open life boats to tender and we had to go over the side and wade ashore.

With the building of a pier for tenders and dredging of the pier channel and additional breakwaters along the beach, the beach is no longer naturally renewed by tides and storms. Concrete sea walls line what used to be a flat beach and the water bottom is rocky.

It is definitely not the unspoiled beach experience we first had on the island.

I would also hope that the damage that dredging a channel and building a pier can do to the island will be considered.

An example is Princess Key. When I first visited there with Regency Cruise line that first offered a beach day there (spring of 1990), the island had beautiful sandy beaches that lead into crystal clear water with sandy bottoms. We used the ships open life boats to tender and we had to go over the side and wade ashore.

With the building of a pier for tenders and dredging of the pier channel and additional breakwaters along the beach, the beach is no longer naturally renewed by tides and storms. Concrete sea walls line what used to be a flat beach and the water bottom is rocky.

It is definitely not the unspoiled beach experience we first had on the island.

Thanks for bringing back a bit of nostalgia! I also remember getting our feet wet to get to the private island. It may have even been NCL. I remember it was like a troop boat and the front would drop down into the shallow water and we'd wade through the water to get to shore. Really made it feel like a "deserted isle".

Thanks for bringing back a bit of nostalgia! I also remember getting our feet wet to get to the private island. It (was) NCL ... like a troop boat and the front would drop down into the shallow water and we'd wade through the water to get to shore. Really made it feel like a "deserted isle".

Not mistaken, I joked with DW back in 2003 as we sailed on the brand new Dawn then in the pre mega-ship NCL era, like WW2 Normandy landing on the beachfront. Unless wearing shorts or swimwear, one has to roll up the pant sleeves to avoid getting wet and take the last few steps to hit the beach.

NCL crew walking in knee-high water along the beach selling cold beverages.

Thanks for bringing back a bit of nostalgia! I also remember getting our feet wet to get to the private island. It may have even been NCL. I remember it was like a troop boat and the front would drop down into the shallow water and we'd wade through the water to get to shore. Really made it feel like a "deserted isle".

Those were good days, weren't they? I remember my first cruise on the Sunward II, and having to go ashore on that landing craft. Getting dropped off right on the sand...or even shallow water...was part of what made the experience so nice.

Those were good days, weren't they? I remember my first cruise on the Sunward II, and having to go ashore on that landing craft. Getting dropped off right on the sand...or even shallow water...was part of what made the experience so nice.
With the ship's photographers right there waiting to capture the moment. Somewhere I still have our pic from the Skyward.

No, it was Regency Cruise Lines and the ship was the Rainbow. We used regular open lifeboats and we had to go over the side and into the water.

Regency did go out of business and their private island somehow ended up with Princess when Princess was under the P&O corporate umbrella. Our Regency cruises, along with Sitmar cruises, added up to us being Platinum on Princess without ever taking a Princess cruise.

We also cruised on NCL and their private island at the time was a different one then the one currently used or the one that eventually became Princess Cay. I remember the landing type tenders to get ashore.

Right, that is how it was in the old days - as late as 2007.

Maybe they could just build the pier made from straws?

We also cruised on NCL and their private island at the time was a different one then the one currently used or the one that eventually became Princess Cay. I remember the landing type tenders to get ashore.

Are you sure about that? I don't recall NCL having a private island before GSC. They've had GSC since the 70s.

The only private island NCL has ever had is Great Stirrup Cay, in the Berry Islands of the Bahamas.

The only private island NCL has ever had is Great Stirrup Cay, in the Berry Islands of the Bahamas.

We docked in Nassau and the "landing craft" took us on a short ride to an island called Sandy Cay. It was used for Gilligan's Island as the island in the opening credits.

This was in 1978 on the NCL Starward.

Great Stirrup Cay was acquired by NCL in 1977 and needed improvements before it was used as the private beach stop.

My stop in 1978 to Sandy Cay on NCL was during the time period tha GSC was being developed by NCL.