cruise ship pier to downtown transportation in Dublin and Belfast

lmentzer

Does Princess provide free transportation from the Dublin pier to downtown where we can catch the hop on hop off bus? Likewise, is there transportation from the pier to downtown in Belfast? If not, does anyone know the best way to get from pier to downtown?

Sorry I cannot your answer question but may I suggest you may want to repost in the Ports of Call -> Europe -> British Isles forum. I am taking this cruise in 2018 and am finding much good information there on all topics as I research for the trip.

In Belfast I remember a no charge bus from the pier area to City Hall.

Belfast used to have a port provided free shuttle, but in 2016 the port budget was cut and the shuttle was available for a fee. I do not know if there is a fee for 2017.

Taxis are also available.

Dublin there is a Princess shuttle bus into city centre which is chargeable. Belfast there used to be a free shuttle bus into city centre but this has now ceased and there is one provided by Princess which is again chargeable. In Dublin it is easy enough to walk off the port and a short walk and catch a tram into Dublin for a lot less than what Princess charge for shuttle bus.

Last year, there was a shuttle in Dublin for a fee but it wasn't much, maybe $8 pp round trip or similar. It let us off just a few steps from the HoHo bus, very convenient. We bought our shuttle tickets onboard a day or two before, there was a notice in the Princess Patters.

Just back from 12 Day British Isles. Dublin shuttle was complimentary and ran every 30 minutes from the ship to Merrion Square

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Merrion+Square/@53.3405709,-6.2520403,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x805f2617a5827483!8m2!3d53.3396583!4d-6.2491648

Unsure about Belfast.

Hope this helps

Steve & Vicky

We're just back from the May cruise (too) and the Dublin bus was free. Also, it lets you off about 1 block from the Hop-on Hop-off bus. The Belfast bus had a slight charge (I believe) but was well worth the cost. It too lets you off almost right at the Hop-on Hop-off stop. Both were very easy. Enjoy your cruise!

We are just off the CB last month also..

Just be aware, the free shuttle in Dublin did not start operating until after 9:00am

We ended up taking a taxi because we had an independent tour that we had to meet in town at 8:00am -

Taxi going to town - Uber coming back

Srpilo

Does Princess provide free transportation from the Dublin pier to downtown where we can catch the hop on hop off bus? Likewise, is there transportation from the pier to downtown in Belfast? If not, does anyone know the best way to get from pier to downtown?

We were just in Dublin in April and yes, Princess provided free shuttles from the port to Marion square area. We used it since we stayed in Dublin after our tour was over and did a little sightseeing our own.

Just returned from the May 25 British Isles cruise. Shuttles were free in Belfast and Dublin but Princess charges 16 US in Le Havre. We did walk back to the ship from downtown Dublin and it was a bit of a hike.

Getting ready to go into Dublin. Princess has a free shuttle to Merion Square. Shuttles started running as soon as we docked

-10:40 but lines were extremely long to get on the shuttle at that time. It is now 12:00 and lines are still long. No info on Belfast yet

yes, they do but i found Belfast & Dublin really hard to get around. We just got off the May 25th British Isles. The hop on hop off will be MUCh more $$$ in these ports than in London, where we spent the whole day seeing everything on the 'Grand Tour Hop on Hop Off. In Belfast & Dublin it could be pouring rain , as it was for us, which makes it even more frustrating. Don't waste money on the Belfast Titanic. Not worth it, even at a senior discount.

Don't waste money on the Belfast Titanic. Not worth it, even at a senior discount.

100% opposite opinion. We intended to spend two hours there and ended up spending six. It is a fascinating exhibit.

yes, they do but i found Belfast & Dublin really hard to get around. We just got off the May 25th British Isles. The hop on hop off will be MUCh more $$$ in these ports than in London, where we spent the whole day seeing everything on the 'Grand Tour Hop on Hop Off. In Belfast & Dublin it could be pouring rain , as it was for us, which makes it even more frustrating. Don't waste money on the Belfast Titanic. Not worth it, even at a senior discount.

As a matter of interest, where do the ships dock for London visits? I live so close to London and haven't seen a cruise ship. Do you dock in Southampton and transfer? TIA.

You're right though, the hop on/off tour bus is definitely the best way to see London!!

100% opposite opinion. We intended to spend two hours there and ended up spending six. It is a fascinating exhibit.

Agree with Caribill. We are ever-learning students of history and found the Belfast Titanic exhibit much more than simply the "ship hit an iceberg" display. It encompasses a period of history of the region, its economic base during the preceding century and the process of ship building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk