Taking food, fruit, beer, water off cruise ship into ports. Any problem with this?

voljeep

Not true as noted in the article (http://www.nonrevtravelnews.com/2017...the-caribbean/) in the thread below.

Several counties in the Caribbean including Barbados, Jamaica, Grenada, Dominica, St. Lucia and St. Vincent ban the wearing of camouflage by non-members of their military.

Unless you want to be fined or jailed leave the camo shirts, shorts, wallets, purses and hats a home!!

The wearing of any form of camo clothing and bags is illegal in St. Lucia except for military personnel.

It is illegal to wear any camo in Barbados including clothing or any item containing camouflage material.

Grenada has a zero tolerance policy regarding the wearing of any camouflage clothing in public and are warning visitors as well as locals to avoid doing so.

In St. Vincent and the Grenadines it is illegal to wear any form of camouflage clothing.

The Parliament in Jamaica has passed a law banning all camouflage clothing except for uniforms worn by the police. They don’t want civilians mistake for police officers.

So if you are going to the Caribbean, you are wise to leave the camo at home.

Good to know. Not that I have any shorts or shirts like that - it's just not my style.

If OP is truly from Florida I’m surprised s/he’s asking this. Imported pests are a major problem with agriculture.

Mediterranean Fruit Fly wrecked havoc on the citrus industry in the 90s. In CA we’ve also lived thru an avocado blight and now we’re dealing with the Asian Psyllid. Won’t even discuss Mad Cow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just an FYI-when you arrive in FLL the dogs are invited onto the ship to sniff the luggage before it's taken off. Several times I have seen people being taken off the ship in handcuffs.

Please tell me how you know that the people being taken off the ship in handcuffs was directly related to the sniffing dogs. That seems to be a huge jump unless you were there with the sniffing dogs and confirmed contraband in the suitcases and then also confirmed that those who owned the suitcases were also those who were brought off the ship in handcuffs.

• 1 month later...

I'm guessing none of you cruise with children. While my husband are perfectly happy to eat in restaurants in port, taking our son sometimes means that other patrons may not enjoy a relaxing quiet meal.

I know that most ports do not allow you take food off, but I am sure there are some that do. I would love to take a picnic lunch with us when we go ashore, but I PROMISE I WON'T unless I see that it's permitted. I am surprised that there aren't services on the islands for this kind of thing! I did look up one company on Puerto Rico that does set up picnics, but they aren't for kids.

I'm guessing none of you cruise with children. While my husband are perfectly happy to eat in restaurants in port, taking our son sometimes means that other patrons may not enjoy a relaxing quiet meal.

I know that most ports do not allow you take food off, but I am sure there are some that do. I would love to take a picnic lunch with us when we go ashore, but I PROMISE I WON'T unless I see that it's permitted. I am surprised that there aren't services on the islands for this kind of thing! I did look up one company on Puerto Rico that does set up picnics, but they aren't for kids.

No problem...IF everything you pack for your picnic is still in the original, unopened package. That could be really hard to do (especially if you want fresh fruit).

Taking food, fruit, beer, water off cruise ship into ports. Any problem with this?

:confused: The OP is the first person ever to ask about smuggling alcohol off a cruise ship.

Nice - just a beer (PBP) or 2 as a walker(s) to the first beer stop at the port, after all, I've paid for them, right ?!:cool:

I have cruised a dozen times and have never had an issue taking my morning coffee with me. This is my first time on Princess so this information is new to me. I usually cruise in Europe and will be again in June. I hope this is not an issue. I don't know which agricultural pest is hiding in my coffee cup;p;p

I have cruised a dozen times and have never had an issue taking my morning coffee with me. This is my first time on Princess so this information is new to me. I usually cruise in Europe and will be again in June. I hope this is not an issue. I don't know which agricultural pest is hiding in my coffee cup;p;p

It is not a Princess issue, it is a matter of the laws of the country you are visiting. In US ports, the reason given is the agricultural rules. In Mexican ports, I think it is that they are trying to get people to spend money while there; in one port we were not even permitted to take sealed bottled water!

The US prohibits fruit. I was once required to remove the lemon from my tea, but was permitted to bring a glass of tea, now with lemon juice in it! I also was once stopped when I'd flown into the US. I'd taken a container of grapes as "munchies" for the 6 hour plane flight (and because I knew they'd be thrown out if I didn't eat them). While I enjoyed some en-route, I had some remaining in my backpack and was "caught" by a sniffer dog at the airport. There was no problem, no fine. I just had to turn them over. However, on my next several US entries, I was diverted to a "special inspection" area. I even joked with the agent that I thought I was there because I'd had grapes in my lunch on the last trip...he laughed and didn't look at ANY of my stuff; just waved me thru.

Camouflage banned? Never heard of that one before. I suppose if it is very good camouflage they won't even notice you leaving the ship.

It is illegal for anyone other than the police force and military to wear anything camouflage in Barbados, including backpacks. They take it very seriously.

• 3 weeks later...

I always take food ashore - in my stomach. I eat a good breakfast before leaving the ship and don't spend much money on food ashore. We do spend on the local beer but that's different. ;p