How far ahead to book?

ntourtelotte

I'm looking at a cruise that leaves March 2018. I'm seeing lots of full rooms, especially rooms for 4 already. Should I be booking already? I read 2 things on another thread that I'm looking for more info on.

If I call, would the person on the phone have access to more rooms than I can see online?

I also read not to book "early saver". That is the prices I see online. Are there other options?

Should I be booking now? I feel like there are sales a lot. What is a good sale for Carnival?

Thank you!

I would get a recommendation for a PVP (can't say names or extensions on here). They can see more cabins than what may be showing online and they are a great resource to have.

If there's a chance plans may change, stay away from ES. The better deals are on average booked far ahead of time.

I have one booked for June 2018, I wanted a certain itinerary and when the cabin I wanted started to fill up I went for it and reserved a cabin. I have almost a year to wait but it will need a lot of planning.

When you see a cabin that you want/fits your needs, on the ship you want, during the timeframe you want, with the price range you are willing to pay, then book it!!!

There are no rules (except your own) for "when" you should book your vacation, whatever your comfort level is should dictate your actions.

Book Early, Book Often... Oh, wait, this isn't an election... (Sorry, I'm not meaning to offend, but I grew up in Chicago...)

I'm looking at 2019's cruises already, and I have a Sept. 2018 already booked along with my Feb 2018 cruise. You get a better choice of cabins and usually a better price! I do book ES. I like the price match. On both of my 2018 cruises I've saved $$s.

Book Early, Book Often... Oh, wait, this isn't an election... (Sorry, I'm not meaning to offend, but I grew up in Chicago...)

I'm looking at 2019's cruises already, and I have a Sept. 2018 already booked along with my Feb 2018 cruise. You get a better choice of cabins and usually a better price! I do book ES. I like the price match. On both of my 2018 cruises I've saved $$s.

We presently have three future cruises booked. One this fall, one in January 2018 and one in January 2019. You just never know when they sell out or have limited cabin availability. We booked our January 2018 cruise last February and by March it was basically sold out. ES is the best value but you do take the risk of losing some $$ if you cancel.

Book asap. I suggest calling Carnival and speaking to a PVP. They can see cabins you may not be able to see. I’m not sure why you don’t think you should book the early saver but that is the best rate possible so yes book that as it goes away 6 months prior to cruising. If you are flexible on room type and location you could wait another month or so to book but if you want something specific, book now.

I like the way you think LOL

I have a Jun18 and Feb19 booked, waiting for later 2019 dates....:o

Book asap. I suggest calling Carnival and speaking to a PVP. They can see cabins you may not be able to see. I’m not sure why you don’t think you should book the early saver but that is the best rate possible so yes book that as it goes away 6 months prior to cruising. If you are flexible on room type and location you could wait another month or so to book but if you want something specific, book now.

Sometimes ES isn't the best rate especially if there's a chance you might want to downgrade, change names, or might need to cancel or change sailing dates. Often times the difference between between ES and Past Guest or another rate is minimal - like $20pp.

You can see and book other rates on line. When the rate screen comes up, look at the bottom. There is a small typed line that says something to the effect of "More rates." Typically they are $20-40 more than ES.

And as others have said, book early. We are going on the Fascination in March 2018 and the balconies have been sold out for more than 2 months on line.

This is a hard question to really answer for someone else. I always book cruises about a year and a half out, just because I like to plan way ahead and have peace of mind that it is done and booked. However, I have ben tracking prices of 3 cruises lately just to get an idea of price fluctuations......and I have determined the sweet spot is generally about 3 months out from the sail date.

The upside is you get a potentially significantly cheaper rate.

The downside is that there may be a limited selection for room types at that point. I am not willing to take that risk. You may be.

Sometimes ES isn't the best rate especially if there's a chance you might want to downgrade, change names, or might need to cancel or change sailing dates. Often times the difference between between ES and Past Guest or another rate is minimal - like $20pp.

There is the occasion where you MIGHT find something a smidge cheaper than ES! I def suggest calling the PVP just in case!

There is the occasion where you MIGHT find something a smidge cheaper than ES! I def suggest calling the PVP just in case!

Maybe. Usually ES is cheaper, but might not be in the long run. What I was trying to say is don't let the "cheapest" fare determine which rate you book. Just because it's less expensive now doesn't mean it will be in the long run. There's a reason why they try and lock everyone into that rate and it's not to benefit the customer, believe me.

This is a hard question to really answer for someone else. I always book cruises about a year and a half out, just because I like to plan way ahead and have peace of mind that it is done and booked. However, I have ben tracking prices of 3 cruises lately just to get an idea of price fluctuations......and I have determined the sweet spot is generally about 3 months out from the sail date.

The upside is you get a potentially significantly cheaper rate.

The downside is that there may be a limited selection for room types at that point. I am not willing to take that risk. You may be.

I'm not arguing with you but if you book ES and early you can get a great beginning price and price match at any time that the price goes down. You are guaranteed the best price as long as you keep an eye on them.

In my experience - we book as soon as the cruise opens and have only had occasional price drops from that price. Nothing over 100$, but I have seen the price nearly double at about 9 - 12 months out and then slowly come back down, but not even close to what we paid. :D

I'm not arguing with you but if you book ES and early you can get a great beginning price and price match at any time that the price goes down. You are guaranteed the best price as long as you keep an eye on them.

In my experience - we book as soon as the cruise opens and have only had occasional price drops from that price. Nothing over 100$, but I have seen the price nearly double at about 9 - 12 months out and then slowly come back down, but not even close to what we paid. :D

Yup I have already saved a TON of cashola on my trip booked in December from the ES

granted ES is not good if you think u might cancel but in all honestly when I book a cruise I take the cruise - I know when I like to cruise so I book when I can and now that I have discovered ES rates I will likely be always booking those ... Not sure what I have booked in the past but I like that the ES

Yup I have already saved a TON of cashola on my trip booked in December from the ES

granted ES is not good if you think u might cancel but in all honestly when I book a cruise I take the cruise - I know when I like to cruise so I book when I can and now that I have discovered ES rates I will likely be always booking those ... Not sure what I have booked in the past but I like that the ES

ES can be good but it can also be bad. I think the majority of people book a cruise fully intending to keep it. Sometimes life happens. I don't know how many times I have seen people on here complain that such and such happened and now they can't go, or they need to change names, or whatever and they can't without having to pay penalties or can't get their money back.

The nice thing about non ES rates is that you still get price drops up until final payment which is good. It's only after that you don't. Lately it seems the price drops aren't dramatic or are mostly for guarantee cabins of which they aren't compatible with ES terms (with the one exception in which I explained previously). I used to save hundreds with ES a few years ago. No price drops after final payment for me the last few cruises.

The bottom line is that people need to be aware of all the stipulations and be willing to accept them. If they are, than ES can be advantageous. But don't just blindly go for the cheapest price because like I said before, a lot of times it's only a matter of $20 pp or so. You can always switch to ES at a later date after booking PG or another rate. It's not something that has to be done at booking.

We booked one for April 2019 and used past guest. It was only $10 a person. I also used military and they have the same rate as ES without penalty except when it says ES Military but even then my PVP was able to book it without the restrictions.