Irma St Martin landfall

CA_Cruzing

https://mobile.twitter.com/MeteoExpress?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fnews%2F2017%2F09%2F06%2Fhurricane-irma-latest-live-news-strongest-ever-atlantic-storm%2F

Early reports say Irma was massive when she hit St Martin. Some videos posted at this twitter link.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's just the media overblowing this storm :rolleyes:

You must be from "up north" to say they're overblowing damage from a Cat 5 hurricane. A low Cat 2, Matthew, blew the shingles off most of the homes in my neighborhood, blew down huge trees, and flooded whole towns that had never flooded before. As the Cats go up the damage they cause is exponentially worse.<|3

You must be from "up north" to say they're overblowing damage from a Cat 5 hurricane. A low Cat 2, Matthew, blew the shingles off most of the homes in my neighborhood, blew down huge trees, and flooded whole towns that had never flooded before. As the Cats go up the damage they cause is exponentially worse.<|3

No kidding! I guess you don't get sarcasm. I thought the eyeroll was a dead give away.

No kidding! I guess you don't get sarcasm. I thought the eyeroll was a dead give away.

Sorry ... I "read" the eyeroll as exasperation that folks were so nervous about the hurricane.:(

I'm probably over sensitive - my family including my 89 year old mom are in Tampa/St Pete. Add to that I live on the Carolina coast where the odds of us getting hit after the storm turns are increasing with every advisory since yesterday. Most homes are built to withstand 120-140mph winds - Irma is so much worse.

She is so wide - they may be ordering evacuations ... but from the maps there seems to be nowhere to run and nowhere to hide for many folks.

We are visiting St. Maarten/St Martin hopefully on our cruise October 1-8. Or maybe not! Hope everyone is safe.

Probably not, St.Martin is in a world of hurt. I would say bye, bye to eastern Caribbean ports for months to come.

Sorry ... I "read" the eyeroll as exasperation that folks were so nervous about the hurricane.:(

I'm probably over sensitive - my family including my 89 year old mom are in Tampa/St Pete. Add to that I live on the Carolina coast where the odds of us getting hit after the storm turns are increasing with every advisory since yesterday. Most homes are built to withstand 120-140mph winds - Irma is so much worse.

She is so wide - they may be ordering evacuations ... but from the maps there seems to be nowhere to run and nowhere to hide for many folks.

I don't think there is such a thing as being over sensitive to a Cat 5 hurricane. Wishing you and your family the best. I hope you're stocking up on water and supplies now. I keep seeing news reports that bottled water has disappeared from store shelves in Florida.

Inland, I was sitting at the UNC/VT football game in Chapel Hill. The rain from Matthew was coming down sideways and the wind was crazy. That was in Chapel Hill! I lived in Wilmington and the last hurricane I remember while I lived there was Bertha. It hit Wilmington dead on. That's one adventure I'll never forget.

Sarcasm is very hard to "read" in typed medium. I have a very sarcastic sense of humor, when I convey it online I always start with "sarcasm on" and then "sarcasm off". emoji's are sometime hard to make out.

Thoughts and lots of prayers for all the residents of those islands. We were in Nassau just a few days after Matthew last year and it was a mess. And that was a cat 4! This is a whole other beast. We are due back in Nassau in early November and I really hope they get spared major hurricanes 2 years running.

Good luck to you and your family. I certainly understand any loss of sense of humor.

I have a mother who will turn 90 on Sept 27th. I always worry about her when I leave on vacation, though my oldest sister does a tremendous job taking care of her. We live in Western NY and take so much flack for our snow; but, based on the damage hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, and wildfires can do, I'll stay here and keep my long winter vacations on a cruise.

There are going to be so many places and people in need of restoration after these hurricanes in 2017...prayers for helpers and those being helped and all of those trying to get out of harms way. Remember when Kauai got hit terribly with these over 200 winds and some folks in Oregon were there on Vacation (when I lived near Pacific coast) when it hit and were staying in centers....they did rebuild but was massive and this one so much wider...One family I knew got out before Kauai one hit..they were last flight off Island and gave up their home rental pronto. Many were so touched they were back and helping...Island people who keep living through these are awesome souls....not addicted to the material in the least.

I want to know Caribbean Islands like I know Hawaiian Islands..in awe always that tropics exist...prayers, prayers, prayers, pictures coming in are bad as expected.