Which airport for Cape Liberty, NJ cruise?

phabric

I was thinking of a New England cruise round trip out of Cape Liberty, NJ.

Which airport do you use for this cruise?

How far is the airport to Celebrity dock?

Definitely Newark, less than 15 minutes from the pier....If interested go to the East Coast Departures board and check out a thread called Cape Liberty 911, lots of great info and very helpful people.

While further away, if you get an amazing deal into LaGuardia or even Kennedy, it could be worth it, depending on the cost differential and how many travelers you have. If you could save, say, $400 in airfare & pay an extra $125 to get to the ship, I'd say it's worth it. Newark is my closest airport, but we'll go to LaGuardia or Kennedy if the savings is worth it. That being said, yes, Newark is by far the closest.

Just keep in mind that there is a lot of road construction going on around LGA now and traffic is usually a real mess. JFK in miles is not that far but again the traffic is often bad. If I was flying in for a Cape Liberty Cruise I would pick EWR. It is very close and even with traffic it is a short ride. I would have to save a lot of money, like big big money to deal with the stress of getting from LGA or JEK. They are both on the opposite side of NYC from Cape Liberty aka Bayonne NJ.

Use EWR and call for an Uber to get you from there to hotel or cruise ship and for the return trip...very easy, quick and inexpensive. We just did this last October for our Anthem cruise and Celebrity docs at the same port.

Newark is the closest airport to Cape Liberty/Bayonne but when booking I would keep in mind that Newark has the highest delay rating of all major airports. You can go non-stop from Toronto to Newark (I know from personal experience because I went non-stop to LGA and luggage went non-stop to Newark!) Uber is a good idea, but personally I would book X transfer then you don't have to worry about being on time to the ship, but you have many options. We've flown LGA to Toronto many times but right now LGA is traffic nightmare with construction and service is no better into JFK than it is into Newark. BTW we did this cruise last October and it was wonderful!!

Newark is the closest airport to Cape Liberty/Bayonne but when booking I would keep in mind that Newark has the highest delay rating of all major airports. ......

Hydrokitty has made an excellent point -- we don't fly into Newark as frequently as we do some other airports but every time we have flown into Newark we have been late landing. The weather can be perfect, but the delays seem to be from high air traffic congestion. Well worth flying in a day early, and several of the hotels in the area offer a transfer service to the port for a very reasonable fee.

We did a B2B2B on the Summit out of Bayonne this past September. The first two legs were Canada/New England itineraries, and it was fun to compare the change in colors between the two.

There is a Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth, NJ that offers a fly and cruise package that's pretty reasonable. The price includes a shuttle to the port. You can also book the shuttle separately for $35 roundtrip per person. It's very close to EWR.

If you check the Cape Liberty 411 thread, you'll find lots of other options as well.

• 3 weeks later...

There is no amount of money saved that would convince me to fly into La Guardia for a cruise out of port Liberty. La Guardia is a mess because of endless construction. Traffic in the surrounding areas is always oppressive.

There is no amount of money saved that would convince me to fly into La Guardia for a cruise out of port Liberty. La Guardia is a mess because of endless construction. Traffic in the surrounding areas is always oppressive.

I agree. Same goes for JFK.

I've done two Summit cruises that involved flying to/from EWR. Yes, one of my departures was delayed due to an equipment malfunction. Southwest sent us all a $100 voucher the next day. I was impressed.

However, many people choose to spend a couple of nights in New York (usually Manhattan) before or after their cruise - in that case, go for the airport that offers the best price/timing. Just be sure to use EWR if you are going directly to or from the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

We were just there in December. Yes, there was construction.

Yes, we used a car service during non rush hours. No, it wasn't "oppressive." in fact, except for the scenery of construction, it wasn't a big deal.

I was thinking of a New England cruise round trip out of Cape Liberty, NJ.

Which airport do you use for this cruise?

How far is the airport to Celebrity dock?

Air Canada straight into Newark....take a taxi. It's a fantastic cruise!!! Best time is first or second cruise in October for peak color......most of the time.

We were just there in December. Yes, there was construction.

Yes, we used a car service during non rush hours. No, it wasn't "oppressive." in fact, except for the scenery of construction, it wasn't a big deal.

People who live in NY/NJ have many, many words used to describe construction....scenery isn't one of them! :evilsmile::D:D