Recommendations Please

derhart

We cannot decide between a ship excursion on catamaran to Nevis or Thenford Gray Grand Tour. Never been to St Kitts before do maybe a tour is better. South Friars beach and Shipwreck Beach Bar sounded good too. But I read on one of these reviews that beach bar might be closing because of a resort hotel being built? There are other beach bars there? Carambola?

We cannot decide between a ship excursion on catamaran to Nevis or Thenford Gray Grand Tour. Never been to St Kitts before do maybe a tour is better. South Friars beach and Shipwreck Beach Bar sounded good too. But I read on one of these reviews that beach bar might be closing because of a resort hotel being built? There are other beach bars there? Carambola?

I think many on these boards will agree to rule out any ship excursion.

I've only done one ship excursion when transportation back was questionable.

• One was a ferry from Tortola to Virgin Gorda - so many people use the ship excursion, I read reviews that people had trouble getting the ferry back because not given priority when going on their own.
  • Another time, I wish I did a ship excursion to the Mayan ruins in Costa Maya Mexico. We booked privately which was fine but the ride was through remote areas which made me nervous.

Celebrity had a sale so some of the ship excursions were comparable in price or better than booking private. I know sometimes private is better quality too. Thenford Grey has a catamaran to Nevis too.

• Like 1

If you're looking for a somewhat more adventurous island tour, we recommend Royston. He is charming, informative, and a little bit crazy. It's a rustic tour in a van with the window popped out, cooler of beer and sodas (Ting, and last time some kind of pear soda), and a snack lunch. Royston also includes all admissions (Romney Manor and Brimstone Fortress) as well as tips and some food samples.

I've only done one ship excursion when transportation back was questionable.

• One was a ferry from Tortola to Virgin Gorda - so many people use the ship excursion, I read reviews that people had trouble getting the ferry back because not given priority when going on their own.
  • Another time, I wish I did a ship excursion to the Mayan ruins in Costa Maya Mexico. We booked privately which was fine but the ride was through remote areas which made me nervous.

Celebrity had a sale so some of the ship excursions were comparable in price or better than booking private. I know sometimes private is better quality too. Thenford Grey has a catamaran to Nevis too.

I was keeping on topic and that is St Kitts.

Yes...we've also done ship excursions (especially the DIY) when the logistics and timing was of concern.

I was keeping on topic and that is St Kitts.

Yes...we've also done ship excursions (especially the DIY) when the logistics and timing was of concern.

I think ferry trip to Nevis may well count as one of the times a ship tour may be advisable.

Totally recommend Royston for an island tour. He is a little bit crazy, but we had so much fun. (Not lunatic crazy but crazy like "Royston....is this actually a road?") It is among the handful of truly awesome days we've had while cruising. He took us to places other tours don't go to. We also missed the crowds all day. So we had the batik shop and the fortress all to ourselves. And we had a lovely picnic lunch at the fortress, overlooking the sea. And he got us back to the ship in plenty of time.

Was just there a week ago today and went to Shipwreck. $4 cap ride pp each way and no charge once you're there. Not sure if the sale is going through or not but go there while you can in case it does. While the beach isn't that large it's black sand - how often do you see that? Prices are great - $15 for a bucket of 6 beers?? Unheard of. And the food it good too and great hot sauce if you like that. Get there early to get a good spot and see them feed the monkeys and mongoose. Highly recommend Shipwreck.

If you're looking for a somewhat more adventurous island tour, we recommend Royston. He is charming, informative, and a little bit crazy. It's a rustic tour in a van with the window popped out, cooler of beer and sodas (Ting, and last time some kind of pear soda), and a snack lunch. Royston also includes all admissions (Romney Manor and Brimstone Fortress) as well as tips and some food samples.

Make sure you check with Royston ahead of time. Hubby and I are going to be in St. Kitts September 21 and wanted to do his tour. I just got an email back from him that he won't be in St. Kitts that day.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed our time with Royston... we did his Mt Liamuiga hiking trip with another couple (that we were traveling with, not random people.) He included a bit of an island tour as well. This was in January of 2018. He does travel to the states fairly often so sometimes your email might have delayed reply.

Why do people on CC say to not do ships tours? Seems to me that they get priority over people going on their DIY's.

We'll be in St Kitts in November and are going on a ships tour just so we don't have all the hassles of setting up our

own. Prices? We're on vacation. We expect to spend money. I think the cost of the ships tour is reasonable being

that I don't have to do any 'leg work' myself, just show up and go. I've met many great people from our cruises on ships tours and big or small buses don't bother me. To each his own I suppose.

We walked through the port area and all the drivers are offering tours. We went with the 'Big Banana' joining other tourists. A huge man with a huge character, quiet a joker and passionate about his island.

I have him booked for my my group this year for a private tour. How was he, since not a lot is written about his tour company? Also, if you don't mind telling how much was your tour. Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
Why do people on CC say to not do ships tours? Seems to me that they get priority over people going on their DIY's.

We'll be in St Kitts in November and are going on a ships tour just so we don't have all the hassles of setting up our

own. Prices? We're on vacation. We expect to spend money. I think the cost of the ships tour is reasonable being

that I don't have to do any 'leg work' myself, just show up and go. I've met many great people from our cruises on ships tours and big or small buses don't bother me. To each his own I suppose.

Usually it is price. You can usually get the same tour for a much lower price on your own. The downside is they may not hold the boat for you if you are on your own. My own personal opinion is do what makes you comfortable. Like if I'm in Cozumel, I'm perfectly comfortable catching a taxi to one of the beaches. Another location, I may not be as comfortable until I've been there before.

Because I find they are cattle calls. Very large groups , no say where you are going and they cost more. I can book a semi private tour and plan my own fun itinerary and stop where I please, for less money. Thats why I never do ships tours.When I talk to other people about what we have done on our days, they are blown away.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
A couple posts recommended Royston Tours in St. Kitts. Can you give me an idea how long the tour is, and what you see/do?

I have a tour confirmed with Royston in St. Kitts. This is from his confirmation email : "here is the tour..

you would circle the island clockwise starting on the Caribbean side touring Basseterre then working around to the Atlantic stopping at Romney Manor, Caribelle Batik, Brimstone Hill Fortress, Dieppe Bay point, Black Rocks, Timothy hill and other scenic places. the island tour is 5 - 6 hours depending on everybody, then can have beach time if interested. $45 each including drinks, lunch and entrance fee."

Derhart, thank you for your response. We will be there in April next year, and that sounds like a pretty good deal. I don't know when your taking Royston's tour, but if you do it before April next year, I would love to know your thoughts on the tour.:)