20 year olds drinking on boat & UBP questions.

hazemt3

Hi everyone, my 6 friends and I have recently booked a 7 day cruise on NCL Getaway. 4 of us will be 21 years old on the day of embarkation whilst the other 3 will be 20. The older ones chose to get free UBP as offered in the promo. We recently found out that whilst you are allowed to drink as a 20 year old, you must get consent from a parent or guardian on board the ship. The problem is, no parents are coming with us.

Their parents are okay with them drinking and could write them some sort of consent letter, especially considering we live in Canada, where the legal drinking age is 18... Is there any way where they could get permission to drink any alcohol on board, at all?

And say we were to give them drinks in the event that they could not, how strict do they keep an eye out for that kind of stuff? Do bartenders often ask for ID and such? Do they do random ID checks? What punishments usually happen in the event that someone is caught drinking? I'm not asking this because we're some party animals, we're very mature guys not looking to cause any trouble and just want some beer by the pool or wine with dinner.

Also, as I've read on this forum, people seem reluctant to answer this... How difficult is it to share an UBP? I'm not talking about abusing it either, just maybe get an extra drink here or there...

Welcome to CC.

No one here's going to cheer you on in cheating the beverage package. I'm pretty sure if you get caught they will revoke it.

I don't know if there's a way to get written parental consent, but I'm sure someone else knows the answer.

Hi everyone, my 6 friends and I have recently booked a 7 day cruise on NCL Getaway. 4 of us will be 21 years old on the day of embarkation whilst the other 3 will be 20. The older ones chose to get free UBP as offered in the promo. We recently found out that whilst you are allowed to drink as a 20 year old, you must get consent from a parent or guardian on board the ship. The problem is, no parents are coming with us.

Their parents are okay with them drinking and could write them some sort of consent letter, especially considering we live in Canada, where the legal drinking age is 18... Is there any way where they could get permission to drink any alcohol on board, at all?

And say we were to give them drinks in the event that they could not, how strict do they keep an eye out for that kind of stuff? Do bartenders often ask for ID and such? Do they do random ID checks? What punishments usually happen in the event that someone is caught drinking? I'm not asking this because we're some party animals, we're very mature guys not looking to cause any trouble and just want some beer by the pool or wine with dinner.

Also, as I've read on this forum, people seem reluctant to answer this... How difficult is it to share an UBP? I'm not talking about abusing it either, just maybe get an extra drink here or there...

Please read the

NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE

Guest Ticket Contract

4 © Guests under 21: Any Guest under 21 years of age is considered a minor. Any Guest under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same, connecting, or side by side stateroom by a Guest 21 years of age or older at the time of embarkation who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under-21 Guest throughout the cruise. The Guest agrees that this responsibility includes, but is not limited to, preventing the under-21 Guest from violating the vessel's rules, including preventing the under-21 Guest from purchasing and/or consuming alcohol and/or gambling on board the vessel, except as set forth herein. Guests must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol. With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, Carrier permits Guests, between the ages of 18 through 20, to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, Guests 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume alcoholic beverages when sailing on roundtrip European voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. Guests must be 18 years of age to engage in gambling on the vessel.

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Norwegian Cruise Line ships is 21. Guests who are 18 - 20 years of age can purchase and consume beer or wine when the ship is in international waters (3 miles out of US territorial waters). The age modification does not apply for Alaska and Hawaii sailings. The parent or legal guardian must be onboard the sailing with the young adult and present themselves at the Front Desk so they can sign the form allowing the consumption of beer and wine only. A notarized Parent Consent Form or any other document allowing for temporary guardianship for the purposes of the sailing only will not be accepted.

For purposes of complying with the minimum drinking age requirements, a guest’s age is established upon embarkation (beginning of the cruise). If a guest celebrates their birthday during the cruise, and thereby becomes of age to consume alcohol, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Services Manager to modify ship’s records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the cruise. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Services to present a government issued form of identification to permit verification of their age.

On cruises embarking in a country where the legal drinking age is lower than 21 and where a young adult (age 18, 19 or 20) is not traveling with a parent or legal guardian, they will generally not be permitted to consume alcohol. There may be exceptions made to this restriction in areas of the world where local laws require and Norwegian Cruise Line concurs. Details on such exceptions can be obtained from the Guest Services Desk. No guest under age 18 may possess or consume alcohol at any time, while onboard or at our private destinations. No guest under age 21 may possess or consume alcohol at our private destinations. Any guest who goes ashore and consumes alcohol (whether under the supervision of a parent/guardian or not, is responsible for ensuring they consume responsibly and retain their ability to recognize and avoid potentially dangerous situations when they return to the ship. Parents/guardians are reminded they are responsible for the actions of their child/young adult at all times while on a Norwegian Cruise Line cruise.

https://www.ncl.com/faq/guest-conduct-policy

How difficult is it to share an UBP? I'm not talking about abusing it either, just maybe get an extra drink here or there...

If caught sharing the UBP, the package can be revoked without refund (incl. the service charge).

If caught sharing the UBP with someone under 21, ....

FAILURE TO ACT IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS POLICY MAY RESULT IN:

• Intervention by Security, other management personnel or law enforcement
  • Removal of certain onboard privileges, which may include being detained, quarantined or confinement
  • Confiscation of illegal/contraband/prohibited items (may be turned over to law enforcement authorities) and used for prosecution
  • Denial of boarding on the current or any future Norwegian Cruise Line cruise vacation
  • Reporting of incidents to government and law enforcement authorities for follow-on legal action
  • Removal from ship at the next port-of-call. Guests removed from a Norwegian Cruise Line ship pursuant to this policy, are responsible. Documentation requirements for re-entry into the guest’s home country are also the responsibility of the guest.

...not worth the risk.

Fair enough. I've read that they can drink at the ports though. Anyone know about the cost of alcohol once you're off the boat during a stop?

Probably depends on the port.

Depending on where you're stopping, google the recent issues with tainted alcohol in Mexico though.

Do bartenders often ask for ID and such? Do they do random ID checks?

Your room card is swiped with each order. Your picture shows when swiped. There's no need for ID check since the UBP is tied to the person and someone under 21 will not be allowed to order alcohol in your situation. Those who get parental consent (on-board) and have it approved can get the Corks and Caps (beer and wine) package but that isn't possible in your scenario.

If you sit at the bar, order a drink, hand it to your friend, and then order another drink, you will get busted straightaway.

There are bars all over the ship. If you get a drink at a bar, meet your friend on the way to another bar, hand them your drink, and order another a few minutes later, you'll likely be fine. If you are doing this a few times a day, I have a hard time believing you will get busted. If you start drinking at 10am and are trying to pack down 20 drinks a day, plus 20 for your friend, I would expect security to investigate your bill, and also have a look at what you're doing with the 40 drinks per day that "you" are consuming.

Do know what has been repeatedly stated above, which is that you are violating the rules, and there are consequences if you are caught. Be comfortable with those consequences if you take that risk.

especially considering we live in Canada, where the legal drinking age is 18...

Sorry I can't help you for the real part of your posted question.

But I do have to correct this statement for anyone reading this that may be going on a cruise to Canada. The legal drinking age in most of Canada (9 out of 12 provinces and territories) is 19. The only 3 provinces to still have the legal drinking age of 18 is Quebec, Manitoba and Alberta.

They have another year until they're 21 and then they will have the rest of their lives to drink. Why risk getting your UBP revoked for someone who will be of legal drinking age the following year? You can go on another birthday cruise next year when everyone is able to drink on the ship. Don't rush adulthood!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Depending on the port, your friends can get well drunk in foreign ports and stumble aboard. You could order bottle service for a cabin and make them drinks in your cabin. Likewise, get buckets of beer and share. There are many ways for them to drink aboard ... the problem is that they cannot purchase it directly.

It would be nice if NCL could allow the drinking age to fluctuate based on the citizenship of the passenger's passport. I realize it will never happen, but I believe the US has the highest minimum drinking age in the world. I'm not going to debate the merits or lack of, but since the ships operate mostly in international waters, could they not adjust the rules accordingly?

Just a thought - nothing more :)

It would be nice if NCL could allow the drinking age to fluctuate based on the citizenship of the passenger's passport. I realize it will never happen, but I believe the US has the highest minimum drinking age in the world. I'm not going to debate the merits or lack of, but since the ships operate mostly in international waters, could they not adjust the rules accordingly?

I totally agree with you

You may go to Guest Services and ask if a waiver can be signed. NCL, while in international waters, with the consent or waiver of an adult, allows 18 or older guests to drink beer/wine. It is NOT ok to share the UBP, the beer/wine package must be purchased. I don't know how old the adult has to be able to sign the consent. Hope this answers your questions.

It would be nice if NCL could allow the drinking age to fluctuate based on the citizenship of the passenger's passport. I realize it will never happen, but I believe the US has the highest minimum drinking age in the world. .....:)

They already do to some extent. The policy is 21 years for sailing out of the US ports and 18 years for sailing out of European ports without a consent form.

I think they should change the Alaska cruise out of Vancouver to also be 18 years as that route has a high concentration of Canadian and European passengers than the Seattle departure.

The US is a bit more conservative than Canada or Europe when it comes to drinking and NCL is trying to respond to local values in different parts of the world.

Don't agree with the 21yr age to drink but you open up a can of worms asking NCL (or any cruise line) to try and enforce age limit restrictions based upon passport. It will become let me see your DL and passport. They would then have to look up in a database what the appropriate age is. Too much trouble. They have set the ages and people just need to live with it.

You may go to Guest Services and ask if a waiver can be signed. NCL, while in international waters, with the consent or waiver of an adult, allows 18 or older guests to drink beer/wine. It is NOT ok to share the UBP, the beer/wine package must be purchased. I don't know how old the adult has to be able to sign the consent. Hope this answers your questions.

With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii sailings.

The adult has to be the parent.

where you live is irrelevant. many other countries allow you to drink at 18, the rules on board NCL are the same across the fleet.

sharing the UBP for a drink here and there is not a big deal. but if you intend to fully load up your friends you can and probably will get busted. it wont take people long to figure out you are all together and that some of you are of age and some of you are not. not worth it.