Just Off Emerald - 5 Day Turkey Day Cabo Cruise

curtdesilets

A couple points:

1) Over 3500 passengers including almost 700 children!

2) Needless to say, it was a bit of a zoo.

3) Princess handled the over capacity quite well.

4) Club Class was absolutely awesome and was a welcomed sanctuary from those 3500 passengers during meal times.

5) We would enjoy smaller crowds next time.

6) International Cafe was amazing as was the Afternoon Tea.

Overall, we had a great time. Full review to come soon.

A couple points:

4) Club Class was absolutely awesome and was a welcomed sanctuary from those 3500 passengers during meal times.

Glad we took the same cruise 2 weeks ago. Not nearly that full.

A couple points:

I concur! We were on the Ruby for 7 days and saw the Emerald pull into Cabo on Thursday. Our ship was stuffed full and had a reported 800 children. The children weren’t a bother, but the whole thing was too peoplely for me in general. Luckily there are some places we found to get a little peace and quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So glad we took the Move Over offer! I was worried about the above mentioned issues. I knew when they offered such a good deal they were seriously over-booked.

We kinda wish we had, but knew we could not wait one more day. It was odd though. We saw a little bit of people on formal night trying to get photos, and then we really did not see many until the production show on night 4, when people were coming in at show time and it was full. All the other nights only handful of people at the 10 showing. On the last night, we were there over an hour early for the 8 and we were not the only ones. It was packed by 7:30 and people were standing. For it being a full ship, I guess most were out at the pool (where we were not) and never saw the crowds. Thank goodness. We got to breakfast early on the last morning, walked right in. However, after we were done, it was a packed waiting area. :') We just looked at each other and laughed. It was like those with kids had a totally different vacation than us. We just made it work and when we saw more kids, we just went the other direction, even if that meant the stairs. ;p

We were on the Cabo cruise just before that one. Didn't seem particularly crowed but there were enough kids to keep the pools and hot tubs full of them during the day and into the evening. After a number of complaints that the spa, adult pool was empty, it was filled and we were able to enjoy the quiet there for the rest of the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on this cruise as well as the 4 day right before. The crowds on the 5 day to Cabo were unbelievable after the quiet nearly empty ship of the 4 day. We hadn't realized how few people were on the 4 day till the 5 day at sail away. I'm sure it was just an impression or maybe the kids, but there was quite a difference between the 2. We did have a great time on both. A "few" kids weren't going to ruin our fun.

We were on the Nov 5th 7 Day Emerald Mexican Riviera cruise. We were told it was a full ship with over 500 children, which was a significantly higher number than any previous cruise we have been on.

Other than the hot tubs being filled with children, we had no issues. And the overall number of people proved no problem for dining (but we were traditional dining) or port debarkation etc. Only time we saw it busy was on the night the Osmond brothers were set to do a concert. We arrived over 30 minutes early to the theatre but it was already completely full.

We finished the Emerald cruise and then circled over to Long Beach and jumped on the Carnival Imagination for a bonus 4 day cruise. That cruise had far more children on it, but was fine, other than once again the kids owning the hot tubs. The young 20 somethings filled the adults only hot tubs, so we never did get in, but we still enjoyed both cruises.

Don

No doubt the ship was very full, including extra berths, but capacity is under 3100 according to Princess info.

I believe that number is based on double occupancy. They do not count the 3rd or 4th in some cabins to keep the reported numbers down.

No doubt the ship was very full, including extra berths, but capacity is under 3100 according to Princess info.

The capacity quote by Princess and other places is for only the bottom berths (2 per cabin) and does not include the upper berths in each stateroom (eg bunk beds). This is the standard way of announcing the pax capacity of a ship.