"Ocean view" cabins

LindaJ+

Just what kind of view do you get with an "ocean view"? Is there usually a tender boat or other equipment blocking the window?

When out at sea, you will see the ocean. When in port, depending on what side the ship ties up on, you may be looking at the pier/equipment or another ship or dock next to you.

Just what kind of view do you get with an "ocean view"? Is there usually a tender boat or other equipment blocking the window?

Any cabin that has a lifeboat or part of the ship blocking the view is listed as fully or partially obstructed. If that is not part of the description, you have a full view of the ocean.

It depends on the ship and the deck. On Vista and Signature class ships on deck 4 you get floor-to-ceiling windows that are partially to fully blocked by a tender or lifeboat, or the equipment that supports and operates them. On R and S class ships on the Lower Promenade some of them look across the promenade deck to steel superstructure of the ship, while others see solid or open railings. On ships with Lanai cabins they have floor-to-ceiling windows. In the far forward and low decks of the nine smallest ships you get a pair of round portholes. For all other OVs that I can think of off-hand you get an unobstructed 2.5 ft by 3.5 ft window. Edited by catl331

Any cabin that has a lifeboat or part of the ship blocking the view is listed as fully or partially obstructed. If that is not part of the description, you have a full view of the ocean.

I agree with richwmn. Unless it is stated that the cabin has a full or partially obstructed view, an ocean view cabin will be just that, an ocean view.

I'm not really sure what you're asking. The ship moves so the view is different every day, even every hour while you're at sea.

If you are on the lowest passenger level, you will have a view that is roughly equivalent to a view from a 2nd (the floor above ground floor) window, though in port depending on the tides, it van be lower or higher. I recommend that if you are on that deck in port, you close at least the sheers because passerby on the pier can see in the windows.

Edited by ellieanne

We've had Oceanview cabins on Deck 2 (Main Deck) of the Volendam and we had a full view of the ocean, just as the name says. I would say (but not for certain) that all Oceanview cabins on Decks 1 and 2 of the R and S class ships would be unobstructed. What would there be to obstruct the view? However, on such ships as the Noordam and Eurodam (both of which we've travelled on) many Oceanview cabins are obstructed by tender boats. We haven't had OV rooms on the latter two ships as balcony cabins are usually not a great deal dearer than OVs.

Ozcruizer

Look at the deck plans on the HAL website. There are symbols for each of the staterooms that show if there are obstructions. If an ocean-view stateroom is full or partially obstructed, it means that there is something attached to the ship outside your window (like a lifeboat). On some of the ships there are staterooms with portholes and they are also designated in the deck plans.

Trish

Ocean view does not have obstructions of any sort. If there is something blocking any part of the view the cabin is not called ocean view but is referred to as obstructed view.

We had an OV fully obstructed cabin on the Lower Prom deck on the Zaandam last year. We had a twin bed arrangement so that the bedside stands were under the window & with the drapes open we could see the ocean to the left or right of the tender boat which was directly across the walking deck. This gave us the best opportunity to use the window for viewing & we were very satisfied with the cabin. We think that having natural light is the most important part of a window anyway.

Ocean view does not have obstructions of any sort. If there is something blocking any part of the view the cabin is not called ocean view but is referred to as obstructed view.
Actually they are called OOV:

xfxjz9.jpg

"fully obstructed" not necessarily true

This is the view from "fully obstructed" 4130 on the Eurodam:

attachment.php?attachmentid=93720&d=1224460733

Edited by jtl513

An "ocean view" as opposed to an "interior stateroom" will give you a view of whatever out a square shaped window as well as a bathtub in the bathroom for at least another $300 in cost! :eek: Does one really need an "ocean view" just to stare out a window inside their stateroom? :confused:

An "ocean view" as opposed to an "interior stateroom" will give you a view of whatever out a square shaped window as well as a bathtub in the bathroom for at least another $300 in cost! :eek: Does one really need an "ocean view" just to stare out a window inside their stateroom? :confused:

Most definitely YES!!!!

Does one really need an "ocean view" just to stare out a window inside their stateroom? :confused:
YES! I have to have natural light to get up in the morning (NOT just from a TV pseudo-window) and I enjoy looking at the ocean on moonlit nights.

Everyone chooses what kind of cabin that they want to stay in just like people choose where they want to eat. ;)

I have never done an inside cabin but won't rule it out. I have been in obstructed ocean view cabins because (because of price) and I like to get at least some natural light in the cabin. I have never spent hours staring out of the window.

I need an ocean view. Did a TA when I was 12 in an inside cabin and I can still remember feeling like I was sleeping in a closet. Insides are not for me!

I'm sorry, your post was beyond rude. Between the bold font and the tone, it's downright insulting.

I think it's fantastic that YOU are satisfied with inside cabins. Other people are not. Does it harm you in any way for them to have what they want?

I'm sorry, your post was beyond rude. Between the bold font and the tone, it's downright insulting.

I think it's fantastic that YOU are satisfied with inside cabins. Other people are not. Does it harm you in any way for them to have what they want?

Oh, your are much too sensitive! ;) Having a bad day? :confused:

Oh, your are much too sensitive! ;) Having a bad day? :confused:

I will stop posting on his Board. I dont know what happened but a few years ago, it used to be a helpful and friendly Board but now there are a lot of rude and not so nice replies to genuine questions.....

I will stop posting on his Board. I dont know what happened but a few years ago, it used to be a helpful and friendly Board but now there are a lot of rude and not so nice replies to genuine questions.....

Don't let the occasional grouch deter you from posting - just put them on ignore and you won't see them.