Travel warnings for Jamaica

EastTex

As brazilian I don't feel not even a bit scared about going to Jamaica (I'll port there next month).

At least for us in Brazil, we learn since we are kids how to behave and how to be fully aware of everything around you while you are simply walking or having lunch. Most of people I met from other countries complained when visiting Brazil that they got robbed or something like that, but they went to the beach in Rio wearing a necklace, ear rings or even carrying a camera. Then, yes, of course, you gonna get robbed (or stabbed/killed if you try to fight for your belongs).

But brazilians know that you just do not wear anything but your clothes, don't carry any electronic device (phone, camera, watch, etc) when you go to Rio.

I think same applies for Jamaica. Just go there yourself, don't bring anything with you (just few bucks in cash in case of buying something and your ID) and go for the experience, but don't give them a reason to rob you. Most important: Be aware, eyes open, watch your back and most important thing: don't act like a first time traveler. Even if it's your first time, pretend you have been there so many times like if your spouse was Jamaican and you visit him/her every month. They will always look for someone who seems scared.

By the way: Rio has nowadays same murder rate as Syria (while in war) and the army is also on the streets, maybe Jamaica is just in the same situation which is "ok" from my point of view.

But brazilians know that you just do not wear anything but your clothes, don't carry any electronic device (phone, camera, watch, etc) when you go to Rio.

[Crosses Rio off the list of possible destinations.]

What is the point of visiting a famous tourist area if you can't take photos or even know the time?

Seriously, I knew Brazil was on a down slope of civilization, but that sounds like the nightmares of what NYC was supposed to turn into in the early 80s.

I’d just stay on the ship anyone. Jamaica is the worst port! I’ve mentioned before all this that it is a unsafe port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree. Of course the port area are much safer that other parts of the country....that said I have always thought Jamaica was the shadiest port

The only island of all the Caribbean islands I've been to where I was concerned for the safety of my family. Couldn't get back to the ship fast enough. But, to be fair, that was several years ago when I stopped there (Ocho Rios and Montego Bay). I'm reasonably certain that the areas setup by the port are safe for trinkets, etc. or Carnival just would not go there. Ironically, years ago the Captain chose not to port in Costa Rica because of the violence of an ongoing dock strike and substituted Montego Bay ! ! One of the reasons I chose that particular cruise was because of the planned stop in Costa Rica, but that's life. To Carnival it's always SAFETY FIRST. :)

Same stuff happens in Mexico. Lots of violence in the country but nobody complains about porting in Cozumel.

Jamaica is the same... if some parts of the island are unsafe that does not mean the port is. That's going to be the place with the most police per square foot anywhere in Jamaica. You will be safe.

I don't comment on peoples opinions very often because we all can experience the same places in different ways. This comment though made me laugh out loud! There is NO comparison between Cozumel and Jamaica. Cozumel is lovely. Jamaica is a crap shoot. Staying in the port area is safe but that is not the real Jamaica. Nor is it the experience most want to have. Also, those saying to just take an excursion-get on the bus to and fro and you will be fine. Not necessarily true either. Speaking from experience which I am not going to share(again, everyone has their own experience.)

What it comes down to is to listen to people you trust. Do your own research. Listen to the cruise line. When they say to not take extra cash and don't wear jewelry and watch your purses/wallets closely, listen.

I would rather go to Jamaica than Baltimore.

The number of violent incidents against cruise passengers in Jamaica is practically non-existent. If you take a ship tour or private tour you will be fine.

The violent incidents in Jamaica are no different than what is happening in areas of Chicago. Would you avoid all of Chicago because of what is going on in the West and Southwest sides of Chicago?

I don't comment on peoples opinions very often because we all can experience the same places in different ways. This comment though made me laugh out loud! There is NO comparison between Cozumel and Jamaica. Cozumel is lovely. Jamaica is a crap shoot. Staying in the port area is safe but that is not the real Jamaica. Nor is it the experience most want to have. Also, those saying to just take an excursion-get on the bus to and fro and you will be fine. Not necessarily true either. Speaking from experience which I am not going to share(again, everyone has their own experience.)

What it comes down to is to listen to people you trust. Do your own research. Listen to the cruise line. When they say to not take extra cash and don't wear jewelry and watch your purses/wallets closely, listen.

You nailed it and good advice.

From what you wouldn't say about excursions- maybe you or someone you know happen to be on a carnival excursion in Jamaica when the whole tour bus got robbed. This type of thing is mentioned once and quickly forgotten.

We took one tour in Jamaica and that was enough to last a lifetime.

[Crosses Rio off the list of possible destinations.]

What is the point of visiting a famous tourist area if you can't take photos or even know the time?

Seriously, I knew Brazil was on a down slope of civilization, but that sounds like the nightmares of what NYC was supposed to turn into in the early 80s.

Thanks for saying what I wanted to say.;p..I was going to mention their great attempt at Hosting the Olympics:eek:

Mike

Have ported into Ocho Rios and Montego Bay, did a carnival excursion in Montego Bay and did one that I booked at the Ocho Rios Port. It was certainly not one of my favorite ports (either one of them) hard selling (I understand that, its how they surrvive) but, never felt completely comfortable there. Had our 3 year old Granddaughter there with us the first time and again the second time she was 5 and really did not like how they tried to use her to bribe us into buying. (we did not buy into their hard lines) It is very pretty in area's and certainly a lesson of cultural difference, but we have no plans on returning there. Our tour in Ocho Rios was awesome and the lady stayed with us every where we went. Our tour in Montego Bay was ok as well so I do not think these excursions are bad, cause they are not, but If the government is sending out travel advisory warnings then I think you need to rethink what you are doing and heed their advice. It is sad as I do think this place is very beautiful, but you can't enjoy this if you are concerned for your safety. We also had some similar experiences years ago in the Bahamas. Seeing armed military personnel with guns in hand when you get into port is a bit unnerving. Makes you want to get back on the boat and hit the water:)

Ocho Rios is a hole. I don’t like the city, or the people. I generally walk around to get a feel of what the locals are like.

That being said, I’ve not been attacked or robbed. I’m sure the big excursions and resorts are probably safe.

The sky is not falling.

Jamaica is a great place to visit. Especially as a land vacation destination.

Absolutely!!! Totally agree, have been traveling to Jamaica for years (cruise and land), I would be way more afraid in many US cities. Be smart if you are a tourist in ANY city in the world and if there is political unrest or unusual crime sprees, the cruiseline will bypass.

I agree, was there LAST WEEK on Carnival. The port area is completely protected and guarded, you may shop to your hearts content unbothered inside the port area. If you take an excursion you will not be bothered at all. You load and unload inside the protected area. If you go shopping outside the port you will see plenty of police. I went outside the protected area into several shops and no one bothered me. We found the people doing the tours to be very knowledgeable. I never felt unsafe and would go there again.

We were in Ocho Rios on a land vacation several years ago. There was a travel warning then too. The violence is mostly on the Negril side. When we docked there just over a year ago, there were armed guards at the street corners to usher tourists across, etc. When the ships leave, they leave.

The problem in some of those countries is that the police ,for many reasons, may not be of any help to those in trouble. I have many friends from South America, Central America and the Caribbean, and many tell me that they can't depend upon the police or any government agency. Some have told me that the post office in their country is not reliable. Also, some don't trust banks. One of my good friends was with me when she got a call from her friend in her home country. This friend was saying that her son had been kidnaped. Well, my friend went on to say that she will just have to pay, and he will probably be okay. No mention of calling the police. My friend went on to say that that's why she lives in this country. And, " Thank God for this Country!"

The travel advisory for Jamaica is only a level 2, which is practically nothing. This level of advisory exists in a lot of the countries that cruises visit, like Mexico, Aruba, The Bahamas, the DR, Belize, Turks and Caicos, and I'm sure there are more. This is not an advisory that should make someone avoid an area, it just shows that you need to be careful, as you should be everywhere you travel including cities in the US.

I doubt they'll reroute the ships and there's no reason for Carnival to address this until it becomes a serious threat to the safety of the passengers. They always put safety first, and if there is an issue they won't stop in those ports.

We are very budget conscious. And can only afford cruises and AIs for now. Been to stay in Jamaica several times with our guide, now friend

Kenny Salmon. We text in between visits, and the whole island is not what the ports limitations are about.

If you only cruise, you haven’t been to stay on an island and see the whole beauty. Like Frenchmans cove or lovers leap, or our honeymoon in Whitehouse Jamaica.

We knew we wanted to try Jamaica without a cruise. Then we were hooked.

That is why we cruise

so that we can see other islands ....take a peek, which places we want to stay in the future when we can afford it.

7 Times to Jamaica and stay, and our guide makes sure we are not targeted. All he has to do is look at

or say a few words the aggressive vendor and they disappear. This is our experience.