sundresses and slips

auntjoy036

I am usually more of a khakis and capris fan, but I am thinking about getting a sundress or two for a fall Caribbean cruise on Oasis of the Seas. The dress I'm looking at now is a crinkled rayon. In a dark print it wouldn't be sheer in most lights, but in bright sunlight I believe the outline of my legs would be visible.

I've read in various places that "no one" wears a slip anymore. Really? Is it acceptable for one's legs to show through the skirt? I was taught that was unthinkable.

I know many of you are sundress fans. What do you do?

Thanks.

Vicki

I used one of these as my sun / daytime dress especially if I have bathing suit on (I winded up buying 6 in different colors and thread patterns):

zu10673182_main_tm1400773425.jpg

zu12233045_main_tm1406145661.jpg

I don't normally wear a slip because well, there's nothing to see up there. :o That and most of my cruise dresses are little or completely past below my knee, not much leg to show anyway. ;)

Edited by maywell

Well, I still wear a slip, and they still sell slips, so someone is wearing them. Do what makes you the most comfortable. In he situation you described, I would wear a slip, but I don't think it's a huge faux pas in most situations not to.

I don't wear a slip with all of my dresses/skirts, but there are two that are very gauzy, that are very sheer in bright light, so I do wear one with those. I found a maxi length slip on Amazon for $20ish. Just a regular slip, but it does hide the panty lines, which I also appreciate.

Slips and sundresses....heck NO! Defeats the whole purpose of a cool, lightweight garment!

If all you can see is a vague outline of your legs...no worries! If it's so sheer you can clearly see the elastic on your underwear...then don't buy that dress!

(BTW...do NOT let the ship launder a "crinkly rayon" anything....they will press the life out of the "crinkles"! and it will be ruined!!!! Been there...done that!)

I still wear a slip under an unlined skirt for business or going out--but wouldn't wear one under a sundress; I think it would be hot, not in a good way.

It wouldn't bother me if people could tell that I have legs under my dress.

I still wear slips - but then I'm a middle-aged slightly pudgy woman

Hi, what do you consider middle aged? I am 57 and haven't worn a slip

in years and years and years......don't own one and don't ever plan to.

In my opinion, a sundress is something lightweight and can be in various

materials......cotton, poly, and cotton/poly blend are 3 examples.

I wouldn't ever buy one that needed to have slip underneath....I

wouldn't buy one that is transparent enough to see through it.

Edited by Lois R

I have a half slip that I bring along when I want to wear 1 or 2 dresses - other than that, I don't own a full length slip. And when I wear the slip, I certainly don't wear hosiery. But that's a whole other topic! LOL

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I'm 55 but for me it's probably more of the pudginess issues. I just prefer a more smooth look that a slip can give me. It's not the sheerness of the fabric - the dresses I wear aren't sheer or gauzy. More along the lines of cotton knit. I don't do shape wear - just a light slip. :)

I have never worn a slip (I'm 42). I own some dresses where you probably could see the outline of my legs. So what. I also wear bathing suits in public. I do not own any see-through dresses.

I also don't wear padded bras. I'm a 36DDD and I don't need any padding, thank you. If occasionally it's apparent that I have nipples, deal with it.

I have never worn a slip (I'm 42). I own some dresses where you probably could see the outline of my legs. So what. I also wear bathing suits in public. I do not own any see-through dresses.

I also don't wear padded bras. I'm a 36DDD and I don't need any padding, thank you. If occasionally it's apparent that I have nipples, deal with it.

Wish I could give you a High 5:D.....I also have enough padding LOL

I haven't worn a slip in years. If I want a little more coverage under a skirt or dress, or to smooth things out, I like the Jockey Skimmies Slipshorts. They come in different lengths, and one style has wicking fabric.

LOL..... I really like that 'free to be' message. Two thumbs up. :)

I'm a 32E, and also never wear padded bras. I wear those silicon nipple covers.

Ladies, thank you all for your frank and fun responses. So many of you used such vivid imagery. The dress I'm considering might show "the vague outline of my legs" in very bright light, but observers certainly couldn't "read the label of my underwear."

I always admire women wearing dresses. They automatically look more dressed up (to me) than a woman in slacks. So I go shopping and look at dresses. But then I think what else I would need to buy to make it work - a slip or spanx/skimmies, ballet flats instead of skechers - and I'm right back in my cotton pants and knit shirt. Hey, at least my shirt is a flattering color or a modern pattern.

Anyway, thanks again for trying to bring me along.

Vicki

Ladies, thank you all for your frank and fun responses. So many of you used such vivid imagery. The dress I'm considering might show "the vague outline of my legs" in very bright light, but observers certainly couldn't "read the label of my underwear."

I always admire women wearing dresses. They automatically look more dressed up (to me) than a woman in slacks. So I go shopping and look at dresses. But then I think what else I would need to buy to make it work - a slip or spanx/skimmies, ballet flats instead of skechers - and I'm right back in my cotton pants and knit shirt. Hey, at least my shirt is a flattering color or a modern pattern.

Anyway, thanks again for trying to bring me along.

Vicki

Personally to me, the 2 most important things that matter when buying dresses in general is the cut /style on you and how is looks with your preferred shoes. I prefer flats, clods, slip-on and 2 inch heels - so my dresses need to be flattered up by or be simplicity by the shoes or accessories (jewelry or bag). I got lucky with my cruise outfits matching my cruise shoes; my work outfits on the other hand especially for the summer, not so much luck ....

Same here. But, don't be surprised if a certain "quacker" chimes in and says we should be wearing padded... I also use "Dimrs" when needed. You can't tell they are there, but they do help eliminate "headlights."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk