Should Illness be Compensated (specificallyQueen Victoria Christmas Canaries Cruise)

olippold

Quite common really. I actually saw a lady (perhaps I should revise this term given what I am about to relay) pick up a slice of cake at the buffet, eat part of it, turn her nose up and proceed to put it back. Now I trust one of the staff would notice it and remove it and I trust fellow passengers would be sensible enough to not pick up half eaten cake, but still I thought if she was so bold to do this, what else does she do that risks shipboard hygiene?

we had an guy on the QV last year go through the starboard side of the buffet deserts putting his finger in each dish and tasting it and moving onto the next dish, they closed the buffet down. Apparently it wasn't his first offence and he left the ship soon after....

we had an guy on the QV last year go through the starboard side of the buffet deserts putting his finger in each dish and tasting it and moving onto the next dish, they closed the buffet down. Apparently it wasn't his first offence and he left the ship soon after....

Hopefully whist still at sea...

Compensation ?? Because you got sick ? I find this concept beyond absurd. People get sick, at home, on vacation, on planes, in hotels, at Disneyland, in Times Square, at the Eiffel tower ~~~~~~~ everywhere.

And ?? somehow ??? compensation should come from S O M E W H E R E ????????

I have to agree with you hihilo.

Count me in as well.

I frankly find it amazing that a 'compensation' claim is even considered.

Is it any wonder that insurance costs are going sky high?

I did a back to back Southampton to NY in June of 2017 with my elderly mother. On the first night of the second leg (NY to So, so day 7) she was really poorly all night and was up coughing and finding it hard to breathe. I took her to the Medical Centre the next morning and she was diagnosed with Bacterial Pneumonia and was kept in the Medical Centre throughout the rest of the cruise, thereby missing almost the whole of the second leg of the trip. She was very ill and the doctor was very concerned about her survival (she was 85 at the time). She was given many drugs and procedures whilst in the Medical Centre to aid her recovery. When we arrived in Southampton she was immediately transferred from the ship to the hospital in Southampton, where she stayed as an in patient for a further week. Fortunately she did recover and is now OK.

It cost an arm and a leg to pay the medical bills to Cunard (but we were insured), and it never even entered my head that she should be compensated for missing out on her trip - even though I also missed out because I sat by her side for the whole 6 days from around 8am to 7pm each day. I was just grateful that the staff were able to treat her and give her the necessary meds she needed to keep going.

However, I do believe that the air conditioning on large ships contribute to spreading the zillions of bugs that are obviously around with so many people of different nationalities on board, and if you are vulnerable then chances are you will get an infection. You just have to be vigilant and do your best to try and avoid catching anything, but sometimes it does happen.

I don't think though we can blame the ship and ask for compensation, as with any holiday on land or sea, if you get ill you get ill it's nobody's fault it is just bad luck.

No hope of compensation. Don't get yourself worked up and worried even thinking about it. It won't happen. It is one of the risks of going on holiday or anywhere in a crowded environment.

In May 2016 on a Celebrity cruise I caught a chest infection (pneumonia?). It happens. Unfortunately because of a pre-existing illness (ME/CFS) it knocked me down and caused a downturn in my health from which I have not recovered. That's life. I have been on 3 cruises since then with no ill effects.

In an ideal, fantasy world we would be able to get back the days we lost due to illness. However, our world is ruled by the business model. Cruise ships would not survive if they compensated us for all of our ills.

I would generally agree about not paying compensation for illness. I would say though that if the cruise line confines you to your cabin then a refund might be justified. You were prevented, by the company, from enjoying the facilities, entertainment, food and ports that you had paid for. They confine you to your cabin for their benefit. This may after symptoms have cleared up or because you share a cabin with an ill passenger. From your perspective you are well and should be able to enjoy the cruise you have paid for.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would generally agree about not paying compensation for illness. I would say though that if the cruise line confines you to your cabin then a refund might be justified. You were prevented, by the company, from enjoying the facilities, entertainment, food and ports that you had paid for. They confine you to your cabin for their benefit. This may after symptoms have cleared up or because you share a cabin with an ill passenger. From your perspective you are well and should be able to enjoy the cruise you have paid for.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Can’t agree that you are confined to cabin for Cunards benifit. It’s for the benifit of all the at present well aboard.

David

Sorry the wife was taken ill and hopefully now better. Appalled at the man on QV dipping his finger in the buffet, and the female tasting and replacing the cake - pure ignorance. I followed a man on QE Dec 2016 Canaries cruise in the breakfast buffet open and take one Weetabix from a packet of 2, leaving the packet with one remaining. I just threw it in the bin. I have had food poisoning from a swanky restaurant I will miss some details but ended up in hospital having numerous investigations, 22 months for full recovery. Makes you very sensitive to hand hygiene, food preparation and having food well cooked. Suggest have the flu jab and even pneumo jab. I asked for a legal opinion and was told firmly to forget and not even mention the restaurant in any reviews.

Well passengers, happy passengers, more likely to book again and Cunard makes a profit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Passengers wouldn’t be too happy if they got it as well because an infected passenger was let loose among them.

David

... I just feel the Cunard should refund you a proportion of the cruise fare if they confine you to your cabin. After all they stopped you getting a portion of the cruise you paid for.
If I came on board with something easily passed on to other passengers & crew, hoping that I'd get better once on board (after all, I'd paid all that money for a vacation and I'm not about to waste it, am I?... ) But then they go and ruin my holiday just because a few dozen other people come down with the same, by telling me to stay in my cabin for the rest of the cruise. How silly.

Still, all that lovely compensation will help with the cost of my next cruise, won't it?

I can see other passengers, who fall ill during their cruise, suing the cruise line that didn't confine contagious passengers to their cabins. If they knew about the issue and still let them out and about mixing with others on board.

Edited by pepperrn

If I came on board with something easily passed on to other passengers & crew, hoping that I'd get better once on board (after all, I'd paid all that money for a vacation and I'm not about to waste it, am I?... ) But then they go and ruin my holiday just because a few dozen other people come down with the same, by telling me to stay in my cabin for the rest of the cruise.

I am sorry but I cannot make sense of this sentence.

My apologies.

I decide to come on board with something contagious, hoping to get better once on board.

I've spent a lot of money for the cruise and I am not going to throw the money away by not going.

Many other passengers then fall ill with the same issue.

Then I am annoyed because my cruise is ruined as I am confined to my cabin.

And compensation is expected to reward my selfishness in boarding, and indignation at being confined?

I can see passengers, who fall ill during their cruise, suing the cruise line that didn't confine contagious passengers to their cabins.

If the cruise line knew about the issue and still let the contagious passengers out and about mixing with others on board.

Hope this helps, my apologies again for not being clearer.

Best wishes.

I come on board perfectly healthy but Cunard worried about compensation allow an infected passenger to roam the ship. I become ill, who do I sue Cunard or the passenger let to roam the ship passing on his infection to all and sundry?

My apologies.

I decide to come on board with something contagious, hoping to get better once on board.

I've spent a lot of money for the cruise and I am not going to throw the money away by not going.

Many other passengers then fall ill with the same issue.

Then I am annoyed because my cruise is ruined as I am confined to my cabin.

And compensation is expected to reward my selfishness in boarding, and indignation at being confined?

I can see passengers, who fall ill during their cruise, suing the cruise line that didn't confine contagious passengers to their cabins.

If the cruise line knew about the issue and still let the contagious passengers out and about mixing with others on board.

Hope this helps, my apologies again for not being clearer.

Best wishes.

Thank you. I agree with you. It is best for other passengers and the company if potentially contagious passengers are confined.

If the company decides to do this I feel they should refund the confined passengers cruise fare proportionately.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Edited by stephen@stoneyard.co.uk

... I agree with you ...

"... Compensation is expected to reward my selfishness in boarding, and indignation at being confined?"

... If the company decides to do this I feel they should refund the confined passengers cruise fare proportionately

Sadly, I fear we do not agree.

It might be worth getting a policy where you can claim for cabin confinement as well as medical charges - this is the wording in ours from LV=

Part 4 - Cabin confinement

What is covered

If you have an Essential policy

We’ll pay you £100 for each 24 hour period, up to a maximum £1,000 in total, that you have to stay in your cabin on the orders of the medical officer of the cruise vessel.

If you have a Premier policy

We’ll pay you £150 for each 24 hour period, up to a maximum £1,500 in total, that you have to stay in your cabin on the orders of the medical officer of the cruise vessel.

Edited by Host Hattie

Everyone is supposed to fill in the health form before embarking. This would show up those who were unwell before the trip. Should all of these be confined to their cabins?

Some passengers will be incubating illness without symptoms having yet manifested.

Everyone is supposed to fill in the health form before embarking. This would show up those who were unwell before the trip. Should all of these be confined to their cabins?

It would appear that not everyone tell the truth. I asked a officer about this form, he said it was a legal document and the company COULD take people to court who are telling lies.:evilsmile: