Rooms or cabins?

jeanlyon

Definitely (or defiantly as a lot of people spell it) of/ have is the most annoying one for me and seems to be used a lot by quite intelligent people. Also anythink instead of anything as I recently saw written somewhere and I hear it regularly and it makes me cringe.

I could go on the list is quite long.....'done' instead of did ... as a lot of footballers say "we done well" after a match.[emoji34]

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

One of my pet peeves is “I wish I would have said ship” instead of “I wish I had”.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have noticed the 'defiantly' thing, which I had assumed was auto-correct, a device from hell which regularly catches me out :')

Like you, the 'done' instead of 'did' really grates on me. Alan Sugar is the worst for this.

The worst one for me, by far, is the trend nowadays to miss the 'g' off the end of every word (thinkin' askin' cruisin' etc). I watch Sky News a lot and find myself cringing at Beth Rigby, their Political Editor, whose assessment of situations is fantastic, but her words are lost on me as I am so distracted by her appalling annunciation. Sadik Kahn is another. :mad:

Have to say that this thread has given me a really good laugh as my wife makes me feel that I am the only person on Earth who notices these things! Clearly I am not alone :D

How about those who use pacific when they mean specific and generally when they mean genuinely......[emoji35]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Whatever they say or what they want, it will always be the same space where they will sleep and bathe. Enjoy your vacations. Stop slugging

If by "slugging" you mean fighting, I don't think anyone is fighting. [emoji847]

Not so. Just because many people say it doesn’t make it correct! If the name written on the side of the ship said ‘The Aurora’ then you would refer to it as ‘The Aurora’. If the name says ‘Aurora’ (as it does) then you call it ‘Aurora’ or you might refer to it as ‘the cruise ship Aurora’, but not ‘The Aurora’. Just as, if your name is Fred, you don’t expect people to refer to you as ‘The Fred’. No idea what the correct terminology is in the US but that’s the correct use of the English language in the U.K.

While aboard Azura, I noted the use of the word "our" prior to a proper name, such as our Fred. Personally, I find the possessive reference most endearing

;)

How does one refer to someone else's Fred? ;)

To be specific one would use the full name, Fred Smith but as a family member, my brother Fred, or my neighbour Fred. However, in the example I gave regarding "our Fred", he was a family member. I wondered if this would be used if Fred was but a neighbour. I have used the expression since returning home and garnered a smile or two :D

Not so. Just because many people say it doesn’t make it correct! If the name written on the side of the ship said ‘The Aurora’ then you would refer to it as ‘The Aurora’. If the name says ‘Aurora’ (as it does) then you call it ‘Aurora’ or you might refer to it as ‘the cruise ship Aurora’, but not ‘The Aurora’. Just as, if your name is Fred, you don’t expect people to refer to you as ‘The Fred’. No idea what the correct terminology is in the US but that’s the correct use of the English language in the U.K.

Supersonic services were often referred to as The Concorde in speech. For example “I am taking the The Concorde tomorrow”. It would be one of several aircraft and flights. This was even thought note worthy by Radio 4.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Next time you are aboard ship and entering a harbour, note the colour of the navigation buoys denoting the channel that the ship has to keep within. Those on the (left) port side are red and those on the (right) starboard are green. This colour code is replicated on the ship by its navigation lights. Some cruise lines even assist their guests by having red or green backgrounds woven into their corridor carpets to denote port and starboard, a great help on the resort ships.

49 cruises. 17 ships. 3 liners. 143 ports

This is true , except , as usual, the Americans do it the other way round. So your post is fine for all the world except those pesky Americans.

This is true , except , as usual, the Americans do it the other way round. So your post is fine for all the world except those pesky Americans.

Does this apply to the Americas or just to the ports of the US of A ?

Supersonic services were often referred to as The Concorde in speech. For example “I am taking the The Concorde tomorrow”. It would be one of several aircraft and flights. This was even thought note worthy by Radio 4.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Not by me, as there was more than one of them. Always just Concorde, or Speedbird 1 etc. I cannot think of Concorde without feeling emotional. I had the great privelige of being on the grass apron alongside the runway as the last ever Concorde to fly landed at Filton. Having landed, the Captain taxied back down to those of us assembled there, turned the plane to face us just a matter of yards from us and bowed the nose cone. I shall never forget that moment for as long as I live.

being on the grass apron alongside the runway as the last ever Concorde to fly landed at Filton.

I was cycling on a bike trail close to Toronto Airport when it came in to land on its last visit........right over my head, low and noisy....damn noisy.

(Saw them numerous time at CDG in the 1980s.....was never on/in one though.)

I was cycling on a bike trail close to Toronto Airport when it came in to land on its last visit........right over my head, low and noisy....damn noisy.

(Saw them numerous time at CDG in the 1980s.....was never on/in one though.)

Yes, the Olympus 593 engines were not known for their quietness! This, of course, was a major inhibitor for Concorde during the all too short lifespan. Such a shame that supersonic aviation died with that superb aircraft.

Such a shame that supersonic aviation died with that superb aircraft.

Maybe gone but obviously not forgotten,Aviation trends seem to change so quickly,I was quite shocked the other day to read how no US airlines now fly the Boeing 747 Jumbo,also how if Emerates hadn't placed a new order the Airbus A380 would have gone out of production,the latter is still a relative newcomer but seems destined not to get a long service medal!

Who knows maybe Concordes' great legacy may pave the way for more Supersonic airliners,can't see it in my lifetime though!

Not by me, as there was more than one of them. Always just Concorde, or Speedbird 1 etc. I cannot think of Concorde without feeling emotional. I had the great privelige of being on the grass apron alongside the runway as the last ever Concorde to fly landed at Filton. Having landed, the Captain taxied back down to those of us assembled there, turned the plane to face us just a matter of yards from us and bowed the nose cone. I shall never forget that moment for as long as I live.

I felt like that about the VC10 which was my first long haul aircraft when I was cabin crew. What a noise those Conways made! Lovely. Loved the 707 and DC10, but hated the Airbus.

Thank you. A lovely moment bus sad too.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Maybe gone but obviously not forgotten,Aviation trends seem to change so quickly,I was quite shocked the other day to read how no US airlines now fly the Boeing 747 Jumbo,also how if Emerates hadn't placed a new order the Airbus A380 would have gone out of production,the latter is still a relative newcomer but seems destined not to get a long service medal!

Who knows maybe Concordes' great legacy may pave the way for more Supersonic airliners,can't see it in my lifetime though!

Nobody seems to want big or fast aircraft. At the moment it is all about smaller slower aircraft flying cheaply between non-capital cities. Just does not have the same romance.

Those early A380 have effectively no second hand value. Somebody has made a loss.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Does anybody call the toilets on a ship the "head"? Or is that naval slang?

I think that's a Royal Navy thing. A friend of mine is from a Naval family and has picked it up, he refers to any toilet anywhere as 'the heads'.

While I'm here another thing that annoys me is when cruise ships are referred to as 'liners'.