Speciality Dining

If you look at the number of specialty dining seats available in relation to the number of passengers you will find that they are catering to less then 15% of the total number of guests with the specialty dining.

They have not taken away any free dining venues and are simply giving a small percentage of the cruisers a choice.

Sometimes I think that they are giving so many deals on specialty restaurants in part to reduce the wait for My Time Dining.

Towards the end of the cruise we have just come off they were actually coming to us asking did we want buy one get one free on Chops they even countered that with better offers.

We ate at chops Why? We got two free dinners from the TA.

Added on the DD for $49.00 :o

I guess that is why they have special offers, the price has really gone up over the years.

Our meal was good, but it was another new menu from last year on the Allure.

Sea ya

• 3 months later...
Sometimes I think that they are giving so many deals on specialty restaurants in part to reduce the wait for My Time Dining.

Have you found this to be the case for most sailings? Debating about pre purchasing so I can make the reservations but would hate to pass up a potential deal!

Have you found this to be the case for most sailings? Debating about pre purchasing so I can make the reservations but would hate to pass up a potential deal!

The last few sailings we've been on, they have offered us discounts of 40% to 50% on specialty restaurants. This was on Oasis, Brilliance, and Jewel.

@Merion_Mom & @Host Clarea: how would you rate the quality of food in the standard MDR and WJ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do not believe that Bob has been on the Anthem yet.

I haven't been in the MDR on Anthem in two years. It was fine then. Some meals were excellent; some were acceptable. Only an occasional dish was gently pushed aside and ignored.

Unlike many, I always enjoy the WJ, and that includes Anthem's. I like to "graze" and take a little of a lot of things. I also love the surprise of going around a corner and seeing something unexpected, like the night that they were making doughnuts right in front of our eyes. YUM!

I really love the Anthem, and hope that you will, too!

We were on the Allure last week and did not received any offers for reduced rates at the specialty restaurants. We had previously purchased dinners at Chops and Izumi. Neither were busy, and frankly, Chops was extremely disappointing. Once again, Izumi was one of the best meals we had on board. On the last night, we decided to eat at Izumi again and sat with two more couples whom we had never met. Both said Izumi was their best meal, too. The restaurant was not busy at all and it makes me wonder how profitable Izumi could be for RC.

If you look at the number of specialty dining seats available in relation to the number of passengers you will find that they are catering to less then 15% of the total number of guests with the specialty dining.

They have not taken away any free dining venues and are simply giving a small percentage of the cruisers a choice.

While they haven't taken away "free" dining venues, many (including me) feel that they have reduced the quality of the food in them.

While they haven't taken away "free" dining venues, many (including me) feel that they have reduced the quality of the food in them.

That would have happened with or without the specially restaurants as the cruise company executives continue to find more and more ways to increase their bottom line.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

That would have happened with or without the specially restaurants as the cruise company executives continue to find more and more ways to increase their bottom line.

Just to add, they've also reduced the quality of food in the specially restaurants.

That might be the case with the MDR but when you are paying a premium for the specialty restaurants it is not to much to ask for the food quality to be top notch otherwise people will give them a miss.

They are going (eventually) to the ONLY included food will be the buffet...wait and see. They took the best menu items from the MDR and put them in the "specialties" and charged you extra for them. Now, they're taking the quality of the "specialties" down...expect the dining room to follow suit Really, it won't surprise me to find that the ONLY include food will be the buffet offerings. If you want a "sit down" experience, you'll pay extra for it. I give it 2 more years...wait and see....

They are going (eventually) to the ONLY included food will be the buffet...wait and see. They took the best menu items from the MDR and put them in the "specialties" and charged you extra for them. Now, they're taking the quality of the "specialties" down...expect the dining room to follow suit Really, it won't surprise me to find that the ONLY include food will be the buffet offerings. If you want a "sit down" experience, you'll pay extra for it. I give it 2 more years...wait and see....

I give it 10 years, but I agree with you. Too many prior generation ships just not equipped that way.

The German Aida ships are like that, 3 different themed free buffet style restaurants, no main dining room. Not sure if RCI affiliate Mein Schiff is like that as well.

I give it 10 years, but I agree with you. Too many prior generation ships just not equipped that way.

The German Aida ships are like that, 3 different themed free buffet style restaurants, no main dining room. Not sure if RCI affiliate Mein Schiff is like that as well.

We like the more intimate exclusive feel to the specialty restaurants and hope they don't pennypinch on food quality in future.

We feel they are doing so in the present, unfortunately.

On Freedom and Independence Giovannis was superb but Chops Grill was disappointing.

I paid an extra supplement for a Porterhouse steak in Chops on Freedom in June and it was fatty and average at best.