A new taped version of the Muster Drill......Really?

myfuzzy

I am just off the Royal, and was taken aback with the "new" version of the muster drill. A taped version with a "lighter" feel? And what's with the daily version of the airline spiel about the ship moves, be aware of doors and movable things. It doesn't seem to me to be taken as seriously as it should.

I am just off the Royal, and was taken aback with the "new" version of the muster drill. A taped version with a "lighter" feel? And what's with the daily version of the airline spiel about the ship moves, be aware of doors and movable things. It doesn't seem to me to be taken as seriously as it should.

Wow, do you watch a video from your room?

I didn’t mind it. I think there are so many people that maybe it would be difficult for the presenter to be heard so having it on a big screen, capturing everyone’s attention, and making it very elementary I think everyone got the message. I also liked the wash your hands video.

Change is difficult for some and sometimes change is necessary.

I haven’t heard the airline type message but it’s been almost 5 months since my last cruise. I guess I’ll hear that in a couple months.

I was on the Royal on the same cruise...The "airline" message was not part of the muster drill, but rather just part of Captain Nick Nash's announcements and his sense of humor. We have sailed with Capt Nash many times and he always adds some form of humor to his announcements. If you were at the Captain's Circle party (2nd one I think) that we attended, his British sense of humor was on full display (picking on the French islands as an example).

He got off the Royal the day we did (3/10), so anyone sailing in the next few months will hear something different from the current captain.

Wow, do you watch a video from your room?

No, you still have to go to your muster station and watch the crew demonstrate putting on the life jacket. You just don't have to bring the life jackets and don them yourself.

What do you want? I’m not sure what they could do to make a serious impact on passengers. Tape of the Concordia or Titanic on MUTS, nightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Condescending remarks or sarcasm is not needed here. You would think something as important as the Muster Drill, people SHOULD take it seriously.

Was the taped spiel at muster sung to the tune of Love Boat? We had that on the Coral in December; it made me giggle, however I did listen to every word. I was singing it all night, too. Never heard that done before. Is it a new thing? Is it shipwide? I tried to find out if anyone recorded it and put it on YTube but couldn't find it anywhere amongst the other muster recordings.

Was the taped spiel at muster sung to the tune of Love Boat? We had that on the Coral in December; it made me giggle, however I did listen to every word. I was singing it all night, too. Never heard that done before. Is it a new thing? Is it shipwide? I tried to find out if anyone recorded it and put it on YTube but couldn't find it anywhere amongst the other muster recordings.

Yes, so we are in a rescue situation and the entire ship is singing the muster drill Love Boat video

Yes, so we are in a rescue situation and the entire ship is singing the muster drill Love Boat video

Ha ha, yes, but the instructions are easy to remember when you've been singing them over and over (and over) in your head!

I experienced the new drill on the Regal back in January, and found it both informative and educational. If you've flown any commercial airline lately, you will find that the video that is part of the safety talk before take-off is in a similar vein.

On the Regal, you had to watch the safety video on your cabin tv before you could change the channel and watch something else. That was very clever! We all watched the safety information twice: once at the muster drill, and once on our cabin tv.

I experienced the new drill on the Regal back in January, and found it both informative and educational. If you've flown any commercial airline lately, you will find that the video that is part of the safety talk before take-off is in a similar vein.

On the Regal, you had to watch the safety video on your cabin tv before you could change the channel and watch something else. That was very clever! We all watched the safety information twice: once at the muster drill, and once on our cabin tv.

I totally agree. I thought more people were paying attention. And with having to watch it again on tv before you could change the channel was brilliant on their part.

I totally agree. I thought more people were paying attention. And with having to watch it again on tv before you could change the channel was brilliant on their part.

There is a difference between having to let it play and actually having to watch it.

I haven't experienced this (or any other Princess muster, as I haven't sailed them yet) but the musters I have attended it's been so hard to hear and see what the demonstrating crew member is doing that they are basically pointless. We always watch a circuit of the safety channel on the TV as well or it feels like we haven't been told anything. So I would be in favour of a video on a large screen that is loud and clear and ensures everyone can see. If anyone has half a brain they will take it seriously whether it's in person or on a screen, that shouldn't make a difference.

Agree....we liked the new way they presented ship information and safety procedures.....I think the passengers appreciated the new video too....clever, entertaining and informative....better then the old way where half the audience did not seem to care or pay attention to how to put a life jacket on.....:cool:

There is a difference between having to let it play and actually having to watch it.

You are right, there is. Since they are combing this with the muster drill, hopefully some of the information will sink in!

Condescending remarks or sarcasm is not needed here. You would think something as important as the Muster Drill, people SHOULD take it seriously.

It is a serious comment. Passengers, airline or ship, have become insensitive to these types of warnings which is the reason airlines and cruise lines have taken to more "entertaining" forms of information and security awareness. Its designed to get people to pay attention.