Help with travel insurance please

hi

Our next cruise will be July 2019 out of FLL to Eastern Caribbean with a group. I’m not interested in going without the group (i would pick a different itinerary) and I also realize this is hurricane season. Would you recommend we get cancel for any reason? I remember reading stories of people flying into hurricanes last year because the airlines weren’t canceling. Not saying I’m that stupid...I would just want to recover all of my costs. Thanks!!

With what you are saying, Cancel For Any Reason is the only way you will get any type of protection against your concerns.

However, Cancel For Any Reason does have terms and conditions in and of itself, all depending on which company you buy from.

Some you can cancel day of departure, some, you must cancel 48 hours before your trip begins.

Some offer 50% cruise credit, some 75%, few 100% (Princess Platinum)

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but we have a senior going with us who is currently in good health, but is considering getting insurance. My TA said they can't do insurance for one person in a group and I would have to contact them myself. We are looking for medical cancellation for the cruise and the flight. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but we have a senior going with us who is currently in good health, but is considering getting insurance. My TA said they can't do insurance for one person in a group and I would have to contact them myself. We are looking for medical cancellation for the cruise and the flight. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Try one (or more) of these:

www.insuremytrip.com

www.squaremouth.com

www.quotewright.com

www.tripinsurancestore.com

Thank you.

Maybe the TA can''t do their insurance but RCI's Insurance can be purchased for one person in a group. Depending on the age of the senior it might be an option.

Maybe the TA can''t do their insurance but RCI's Insurance can be purchased for one person in a group. Depending on the age of the senior it might be an option.

Are you sure about that?

We cruised with my parents in 2014. Due to the cost of 3rd party insurance (they were 87), we insured them through RCI. Originally we had two cabins and we got 3rd party insurance.

We switched (upgraded) to a Royal Family Suite. RCI added us to the insurance (no out of pocket as RFS was thousands less than the two cabins we previously had), as they said that everyone in the cabin had to be covered.

Thank you.

It is extremely important to have medical coverage and medical evacuation insurance (not just for seniors). Medicare and probably many other plans do not provide coverage outside of the United States. Very reasonably priced medical coverage can be provided by GeoBlue.

They have both single trip and annual policies. Some of their plans also cover for pre-existing conditions. Their plans are for medical only, not trip cancellation.

You can purchase their plans through many of the insurance sites previously mentioned on this thread or directly from them at

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com

Fortunately we have not had to make a claim, but reviews I have read about their claims process have been positive.

You do need to have primary insurance even if it doesn't cover foreign travel. You'd submit to your company first and then send the denial to GeoBlue.

Unless something has changed very, very recently...Royal Caribbean cruise line insurance must be purchased for all persons in the same stateroom because it is based on the total cost of your sailing. Same deal as mentioned previously, elderly parents. We split them up for the booking for discounts and each of us sharing a stateroom with one of them had to purchase the same insurance.

Third party travel insurance is very expensive when they are in their 80's.

Are you sure about that?

We cruised with my parents in 2014. Due to the cost of 3rd party insurance (they were 87), we insured them through RCI. Originally we had two cabins and we got 3rd party insurance.

We switched (upgraded) to a Royal Family Suite. RCI added us to the insurance (no out of pocket as RFS was thousands less than the two cabins we previously had), as they said that everyone in the cabin had to be covered.

Maybe I should of stated one booking in a group.booking can purchase RCI insurance.

I would avoid squaremouth.com. I used them for one trip and did have to cancel and file a claim for medical reasons. It took months to get my claim paid. Along the way they "lost" paperwork that I sent them at their request, made a lot of absurd demands on "documentation" and refused to cover the portion of my trip that was paid for with a Celebrity gift card because they only cover payments made with cash, check or credit card....Until I said the L word they dragged their feet. Oh, I was admitted to the hospital 5 days before we were due to depart and had a cardiac cath done the day before we were supposed to leave. The good news is that because I went to the hospital I am fine today.....If I had put it off it would not have been a good thing.

If this trip is already booked do your research quickly. There are time limits for "cancel for any reason" which can include pre-existing conditions and lost of jobs. You are talking about buying the insurance within a week or so from the initial booking.

I would not go with Royal's trip insurance- too expensive for what you get. Look up and compare a multitude of policies at insuremytrip.com. I always go with Nationwide which offers an option for emergency evacuation up to a million dollars.

Really? In ALL circumstances?

WRONG.

The cruise I mentioned before, insurance for my parents would have been almost $4000 from the 3rd party insurers.

RCI can be cheaper than other options.

I would avoid squaremouth.com. I used them for one trip and did have to cancel and file a claim for medical reasons. It took months to get my claim paid. Along the way they "lost" paperwork that I sent them at their request, made a lot of absurd demands on "documentation" and refused to cover the portion of my trip that was paid for with a Celebrity gift card because they only cover payments made with cash, check or credit card....Until I said the L word they dragged their feet. Oh, I was admitted to the hospital 5 days before we were due to depart and had a cardiac cath done the day before we were supposed to leave. The good news is that because I went to the hospital I am fine today.....If I had put it off it would not have been a good thing.

I had a similar experience trying to get a claim reimbursed from a company I found through Squaremouth, so I'm not using them anymore for recommendations. A claim I filed for a company I found on Insuremytrip.com went through very smoothly.