Specialty Restaurants Tipping

Talex831

The percentage of the tip that has already been included in the purchase of the Specialty Dining is usually shown on the bottom of the receipt. Then you can add an additional amount for exceptional service.

• 2 months later...

As someone else said here, the Celebrity website shows at bottom of specialty dining page that gratuities are not included. Totally confused now for the reality of the here and now. What many might say here is based on 'past' experience and I would be interested in someone that has sailed more recently and what they know to be accurate. And wonder if a single dining room 'purchase' is similar to the dining 'package'.

Why oh why does everything have to 'seem' so confusing to the customer. I just purchased first night Tuscan Grill with the 30% discount for my October cruise ($39pp CAD), I will be checking for any mention of 'gratuity included' on my bill. I am prepared to tip accordingly based on what i see for myself. I may even inquire about this as I enter the restaurant.

Stay tuned....

The website has been confusing on this issue forever! However each and every time we dine in a specialty restaurant on X we ask the maître d if the gratuity is included in the charge and without exception we've been told that the gratuity was included. We always leave an additional gratuity which has always been graciously received and appreciated.

Wow so 38%.

It is extremely unlikely that the full 18% 'service charge' automatically added to a check by X goes to the server, bartender or service team member standing in front of you and directly providing you with service at any venue on a ship.

It's impossible to know so this is pure speculation but some say the server may get ~$5 of this auto gratuity in a specialty restaurant...

If a pax leaves an additional 20% (so on a $90 check or $18) - that amount is split between the service team: server, server assistant, sommelier and possibly maître D and others? Team service and pooled tipping is very common in many US restaurants too. So maybe the server gets another $4.5 so a total of ~$10 for the table plus their regular salary. This for 2+ hours of service work. This doesn't seem terribly outlandish to me.

There is little info regarding the gratuity process on cruise lines. X fine print indicates that 18% gratuity is added for all F & B related charges but there's really no clear information regarding how that money gets distributed and when I've asked I get conflicting answers. While it's reasonable to *assume* most goes to the team who served you your meal, that's actually somewhat debatable so in the case of the pax that leaves an additional 20% - that server is probably not getting a 38% tip.

The 18% collected is very likely spread around to many, many team members on the ship. The service team in front of you at dinner gets some of that tip but it's probable that some also goes to team members you never see and who only remotely have an impact on the specialty dining experience.

Like many here we always leave an additional tip too. We find the service on X ships spectacular, especially when compared to service standards in the US and we are happy to reward the service team that directly impacts our typically fabulous experience. For us this is usually an additional $5+ a person at our table. Not always if the service isn't really excellent but honestly, it usually is... Because we buy a dining package and rarely pay full price for specialty dining, the per person cost plus added tip is, to us, a great value. To others, perhaps not...?

All this aside, I'm not debating what's right and wrong. Tipping is extremely personal so it's always best to do what feels right for you!

As someone else said here, the Celebrity website shows at bottom of specialty dining page that gratuities are not included. Totally confused now for the reality of the here and now. What many might say here is based on 'past' experience and I would be interested in someone that has sailed more recently and what they know to be accurate. And wonder if a single dining room 'purchase' is similar to the dining 'package'.

Why oh why does everything have to 'seem' so confusing to the customer. I just purchased first night Tuscan Grill with the 30% discount for my October cruise ($39pp CAD), I will be checking for any mention of 'gratuity included' on my bill. I am prepared to tip accordingly based on what i see for myself. I may even inquire about this as I enter the restaurant.

Stay tuned....

From UK website for 5 dinner package:

This fine dining indulgence includes five dinners in speciality restaurants on board. Save up to 31% when you book this package. Book now >

Please Note: Celebrity’s Speciality Restaurant Packages include cover charges and dining gratuities; all other charges, such as beverages and beverage gratuities, are additional, with Celebrity’s award-winning Beverage Packages an option available to all guests.

Looking at the individual restaurants, nothing is mentioned about gratuities. e.g. for Tuscan Grille - Price Range: $45 per person, please be advised that drinks are not included in this price

Gratuities are NOT included in the cover charge for specialty restaurants.

Just go to your Cruise planner then any specialty restaurant page. You will see Additional Terms and Conditions apply - this states that gratuities are no longer included in the cover charge.

Edited by mickey89

Just go to your Cruise planner then any specialty restaurant page. You will see Additional Terms and Conditions apply - this states that gratuities are no longer included in the cover charge.

So for £Z it used to include gratuity (18%) and now for the same £Z it doesn't? So in effect, by stealth, they've just put their prices up by 18%?

This is a significant change from when specialty dining was rolled out several years ago.

The first time we purchased specialty dining was in 2004 at the SS United States aboard the Infinity. Celebrity made it clear at that time that the service charge WAS the tip. There was no practical way to tip extra unless you brought cash with you to the meal. I think that's what makes this so confusing. You are trying to compute a tip percentage based upon what historically has been a tip itself.

I do see that the terms and conditions now say gratuities are not included. I would be curious as to when this change was made because it wasn't there all along. Perhaps Celebrity changed in order to be more in line with the other cruise lines, but knowing that it was not always there makes me feel nickeled and dimed again.

Our check at the Specialty Restaurants listed an 18% gratuity has been included. That was the case at Murano and Lawn Club Grill. We booked on board and was not part of a package.

The website has said this fir some years now, however when dining the check shows an 18% included gratuity. We always ask and are told it's included and we add an additional tip for outstanding service we always receive. It is confusing!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Can some copy and post the section from the Celebrity website? I can't seem to find the section.

Thanks

Online Dining reservations for your sailing will be available up until 05-Sep-2019 11:59 PM EDT. If you are within the cut-off time, you will need to make reservations onboard.

* Prices are per person unless otherwise noted and shown in USD. All selections are subject to change. Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to verify eligibility upon arrival to the activity.

Specialty Restaurants

All cover charges are per person. Restaurant reservations are subject to availability, and reservations are non-transferable. Additional items such as beverages, menu supplements, food and wine pairings and gratuities are not included.

Dining Packages

Specialty Dining Package pricing include restaurant cover charges only. All dining package are per person only and cannot be shared or combined with other promotions. Guests dining in Sushi on Five or in Raw on 5 will receive a maximum of $35 credit towards the food items on their bill. This is non redeemable for cash. Reservations are subject to change based on availability of ship and sail date. Cancelled packages are subject to full cover charges and there are no refunds for unused amounts. Prices are in USD. Restaurant reservations are subject to availability.

Advertised discounts off beverage package, internet packages, select spa treatments apply for a limited time only and may be withdrawn at any time. Promotional Onboard Credit (Promotional OBC) may be redeemed via Cruise Planner. Promotional OBC is priced in US$ and will be automatically converted to the local currency of any cruise booking. Value of Promotional OBC in local currency will fluctuate based on currency exchange until an amenity booking is made via the pre cruise planner. Thereafter the rate of exchange will be fixed for all subsequent purchases using Promotional OBC if there remains any residual credit. Promotional OBC may be complimented with a cash payment via credit or debit card where the value of the Promotional OBC does not cover the cost of any amenities to be purchased. Any unused Promotional OBC at the date of sailing will be transferred for use on-board but will expire at 10pm on the final night of sailing. Promotional OBC cannot be exchanged for cash and no refunds will be given. Changes made to cruise bookings may invalidate/reduce Promotional OBC entitlement. Bookings benefitting from free gratuities or a free shore excursion promotional benefit rather than a Promotional OBC amount will see such benefit in Cruise Planner in the form of a Promotional OBC which will be available, should guests so choose, to utilize to purchase other amenities instead of those allocated in accordance with these terms.

Online Dining reservations for your sailing will be available up until 05-Sep-2019 11:59 PM EDT. If you are within the cut-off time, you will need to make reservations onboard.

* Prices are per person unless otherwise noted and shown in USD. All selections are subject to change. Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to verify eligibility upon arrival to the activity.

Specialty Restaurants

All cover charges are per person. Restaurant reservations are subject to availability, and reservations are non-transferable. Additional items such as beverages, menu supplements, food and wine pairings and gratuities are not included.

Thanks. Does this mean the cost for additional items and gratuities on those items are not included or gratuities on the entire dinner are not included. Based on the experience of others where the check indicates gratuities are included, perhaps this is only referencing gratuities on the additional items.

Thanks. Does this mean the cost for additional items and gratuities on those items are not included or gratuities on the entire dinner are not included. Based on the experience of others where the check indicates gratuities are included, perhaps this is only referencing gratuities on the additional items.

It means gratuities on additional item will be charged along with gratuities on those items. It is worded poorly however. Beverages not covered by a beverage package are also charged along with 18% on those items.

Edited by Luvcrusn