Specialty Restaurants Tipping

Talex831

Exactly. Good interpretation. Then I guess the debate would be whether one should tip on the full value or not...at $80, I would usually tip $16.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

hi there

This discussion has been played out on every board on this site that I have seen. Unless you are withdrawing the normal daily "tips/service charges" you have already "tipped" as much as the cruise line has suggested on the underlying price as well as the upgraded service. So unless you think the cruise line is suggesting you tip less than their employees deserve or you just can't imagine not tipping more than someone else feels is appropriate, then nobody should feel that they need to give any more. Of course this is a personal choice and you can give what you feel is right.

My question is...do they offer discounts only on specific nights/venues or will they ever offer discounts on packages?

thank you

In my opinion, defining gratuities as a percentage of the specialty restaurant fee is not really fair. The specialty restaurant fee is an up charge and does not reflect the full value of the experience. Meals that we've had in Murano, for example, were worth MUCH more than $45 per person. Considering an 18% built-in gratuity (not sure that's exactly what is done) would mean a $38 dinner with a $7 tip. Choosing to add 20% of the $45 would add $9. A $16 total tip is not unreasonable for a meal that could easily run $100/person on land.

That said, I know that extra gratuities are not required- just adding a perspective.

The base meal cost is $38.14 and the 18% gratuity is $6.86. Not a big difference, just trying to be accurate.

In adding a further tip of 20% to the total of $45, you are now tipping on the original tip as well as the meal price. Your total tip is now $15.86, or 42% of the actual meal cost.

Bearing in mind that I've already paid for my MDR meals and that part of my daily gratuities go the dining staff, I'd not be inclined to give a 42% gratuity when dining in one of the specialty restaurants.

The base meal cost is $38.14 and the 18% gratuity is $6.86. Not a big difference, just trying to be accurate.

In adding a further tip of 20% to the total of $45, you are now tipping on the original tip as well as the meal price. Your total tip is now $15.86, or 42% of the actual meal cost.

Bearing in mind that I've already paid for my MDR meals and that part of my daily gratuities go the dining staff, I'd not be inclined to give a 42% gratuity when dining in one of the specialty restaurants.

I kind of agree with you & to take it even further about 50% of the standard daily gratuities (13.50) are for dining room services. So add another $6.75 to your $6.86 & before you even add any extra tip. The problem is that we don't really know how that money is distributed or if the waiters see any of that $6.86 at all. My guess is they don't & the cruise line pockets the entire fee for specialty restaurants. I've seen a lot of the same waiters in specialty restaurants in the main dining room at different times. I'm starting to get a little disenchanted with cruising. I love being on the ocean but ever since they started with specialty restaurants it seems like the MDR & all the free places have been getting worse. I'm hoping Celebrity will be different but I've not been happy with RCL or NCL & I use to love them both.

In my opinion, defining gratuities as a percentage of the specialty restaurant fee is not really fair. The specialty restaurant fee is an up charge and does not reflect the full value of the experience. Meals that we've had in Murano, for example, were worth MUCH more than $45 per person. Considering an 18% built-in gratuity (not sure that's exactly what is done) would mean a $38 dinner with a $7 tip. Choosing to add 20% of the $45 would add $9. A $16 total tip is not unreasonable for a meal that could easily run $100/person on land.

That said, I know that extra gratuities are not required- just adding a perspective.

You're applying US land-based restaurant tipping guidelines to a cruise ship restaurant. Cruises are very multicultural, from the employees to the passengers. Dining on a cruise ship is a totally different situation. They get paid differently, and we don't even understand the structure. But since the cruise ship does, I would go by their guidelines. If I go and the service is really spectacular I might tip a small amount over, but I don't think there's any need to try to estimate what the meal would cost in a US restaurant and then try to calculate what 20% of that price would be.

You're applying US land-based restaurant tipping guidelines to a cruise ship restaurant. Cruises are very multicultural, from the employees to the passengers. Dining on a cruise ship is a totally different situation. They get paid differently, and we don't even understand the structure. But since the cruise ship does, I would go by their guidelines. If I go and the service is really spectacular I might tip a small amount over, but I don't think there's any need to try to estimate what the meal would cost in a US restaurant and then try to calculate what 20% of that price would be.

You're right. It is different than a land based restaurant. Celebrity says the cover charge includes the gratuity, so no one should feel obligated or pressured to give more. Those who do choose to tip more use a variety of rationales. When I share my thoughts, it's just one rationale. Happy eating! Happy tipping! Happy cruising!

hi there

This discussion has been played out on every board on this site that I have seen. Unless you are withdrawing the normal daily "tips/service charges" you have already "tipped" as much as the cruise line has suggested on the underlying price as well as the upgraded service. So unless you think the cruise line is suggesting you tip less than their employees deserve or you just can't imagine not tipping more than someone else feels is appropriate, then nobody should feel that they need to give any more. Of course this is a personal choice and you can give what you feel is right.

My question is...do they offer discounts only on specific nights/venues or will they ever offer discounts on packages?

thank you

We did a 4 meal special & it cost $250 for 2 people. I'd call that a discount.

The gratuity for your meal is included in the price you paid to dine in the specialty restaurant. There is a place at the bottom of you check indicating that and a place just below it for any additional gratuity you'd like to add. We generally add and additional $10-$20 and it has always been very much appreciated. It is not required.

• 10 months later...

I already know I have paid a certain price for a "specialty" restaurant the tip we almost always leave is dependent on the food but far more the service. If I have a sub-par meal and excellent service they earned a tip. Every Chops we have ever eaten in the staff has earned extra. Just saying.

I already know I have paid a certain price for a "specialty" restaurant the tip we almost always leave is dependent on the food but far more the service. If I have a sub-par meal and excellent service they earned a tip. Every Chops we have ever eaten in the staff has earned extra. Just saying.

Interesting. The last time we ate at Chops was on the first evening of a 2 week cruise. We had a reservation for 9:00 PM and arrived 15 minutes early. The tables visible from the maître d's desk were empty except for two. We waited before being seated for 30 minutes. By that time, we were the only two in the front room and there was one large party of 14 in the side room. We waited for another 15 minutes before being greeted by our server. We ordered and again waited for our first course for another 15 minutes. (by now it was 9:45) I could have understood this if the restaurant was crowded, but it was completely empty except for us and the party of 14. After waiting for another 30 minutes for our steaks to come out (cold and completely overcooked) we quietly asked to speak with the maître d. He explained the delays were due to having a large party of 14. We have never, nor will we ever go back to Chops if they can't handle 16 people at a time in their restaurant! That was the only time we did not leave an additional gratuity in a specialty restaurant.

Edited by Luvcrusn

We usually sail in AQ so eat in Blu. On our past few cruises the waiter has arranged discounts for us in the specialty restaurants, ranging from 30% to 50% even on 7 day cruises. He doesn't personally do it - he engages his manager which I am assuming is the Maitre d'.

This is good news, but since I want to dine in Murano on the first night, I won't meet my Blu wait staff until day two to inquire about a discount. I went ahead and reserved the first and last evening for Murano. Will this pose a problem for qualifying for any discount that might be offered?

This is good news, but since I want to dine in Murano on the first night, I won't meet my Blu wait staff until day two to inquire about a discount. I went ahead and reserved the first and last evening for Murano. Will this pose a problem for qualifying for any discount that might be offered?

If you've already booked by the time you get aboard you won't get any deeper discounts for those pre-booked dinners. However on our last cruise on embarkation day I was walking past the Gelateria and happened to be holding my seapass card in my hand. The crewmember working there noticed it and offered me a 50% discount for Murano for that evening. She told me she worked there and that Aqua Class was eligible for that the first evening and offered to make a reservation for me. Since DH and I enjoy Murano it was a no brainer for us.

• 4 months later...

The Celebrity website for Specialty Dining clearly states in the fine print at the bottom that "gratuities are not included"in the cover charge for a specialty restaurant. I think this is a change from previously and shows the trend for the cruise lines to push their "nickle and diming" practices. We are fans of Celebrity but do notice a change over the past few years.

If we would pay full price ($45-55), which we don't, then we would not tip extra.

If we get our normal 30-50% discount, then we realize that the company is not going to take the whole hit of the discount, so we tip to make up the difference to the server.

We ate in Tuscan 5 times on each of our last two cruises. We had the same waiter for all ten meals. To say his service was extraordinary is an understatement. He knew where we wanted to sit and after telling him we were not big eaters, adjusted the portion sizes. Our meals were always served hot and cooked as we asked. I ordered both the upcharge aged steak and extra charge 20 year port. We were not charged for them. I gave him $100 extra tip on each of the cruise. Just to add, even though the cruises were 4 months apart, he recognized us and greeted us boarding day.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

March 14 night cruise we purchased the plan for 6 dinners. 4 nights murano, 2 Tuscan. We had the same wait staff every meal...they were terrific! We always left an additional 20 in cash. Go with what you’re comfortable with. We would have lowered our extra tip if service had been lacking, but part of the reason we choose to dine in these venues is the attentive service, their ability to usually have conversations about their home, etc, better food quality, quieter environment and tables are not so tightly packed.

The Celebrity website for Specialty Dining clearly states in the fine print at the bottom that "gratuities are not included"in the cover charge for a specialty restaurant. I think this is a change from previously and shows the trend for the cruise lines to push their "nickle and diming" practices. We are fans of Celebrity but do notice a change over the past few years.

The UK website does not mention cover charges or gratuities for each speciality restaurant. However, if you buy a dining package, the cost includes service charge and dining gratuity.

Additional gratuity in cash goes only to restaurant participants, if you add your tip to the signed account this go to all the participants in the ship (like the normal gratuities)

What is your source for this? That would be a significant change to company policy.

What is your source for this? That would be a significant change to company policy.

The waiter at Murano told us, he offered us the Dinner at a discount price, on our cruise at the Eclipse 03/18/18. The additional tip in cash is shared only between Murano staff, the tip added in the account that you sign at the end of your meals will be distributed among all participants of the boat, idem to the traditional tips.

The waiter at Murano told us, he offered us the Dinner at a discount price, on our cruise at the Eclipse 03/18/18. The additional tip in cash is shared only between Murano staff, the tip added in the account that you sign at the end of your meals will be distributed among all participants of the boat, idem to the traditional tips.

Did you consider maybe he preferred cash so he could pocket it rather than share with his coworkers? Doubt a waiter at Murano on Eclipse is the only one privy to a major company wide policy change. Specialty restaurant servers have never been a part of the traditional gratuities; they have always been compensated via a portion of the cover charge, a very small monthly wage and extra gratuity left by passengers.

We go to the specialty restaurants frequently and although tips are included we usually give $5 extra for lunch and $10 extra for dinner if the service is good. Keep in mind that this is not required. We are needy guests as we like to pair wines, etc. so if they do this for us and provide a good meal service we think they are deserving of a little more tip. We usually would tip 20% on land so try to do the same onboard. Dont worry too much about it and just have a good time.