Your World Collection (YWC) Package

Rogey

Over the past two months, we sailed on Marina and Riviera (4 days apart) and made some some unexpected comparisons. One that might interest CC members is the different approaches the two ships take to recognising and applying YWC discounts. For those guests who reserve expensive shore excursions, the 25% YWC discount can amount to several hundred dollars, so the issue can be significant.

In each guest's Cruise Book, Oceania advises that "you will save 25% off onboard a la carte prices when you reserve a minimum of (x) shore excursions". However, this is not a given. Destination Services (DS) on Marina and Riviera take different approaches, apparently due to the fact that they use different computer packages.

DS on Marina advise guests who inquire about the YWC discount that on the last full day of the cruise the Manager of DS activates the 25% discount for all eligible guests; ie, those that have reserved the minimum no. of shore excursions. In our case it was 7 O-Life shore excursions booked online plus 3 more booked on board, which totalled 10 per person, the minimum required to receive the 25% discount on the price of the 3 excursions. In theory, that sounded OK, but the interim statement I requested later that day showed the 25% had not been applied! When I pointed this out to DS the error was immediately rectified.

Riviera processes all reservations individually and does not automatically apply the 25% YWC discount to eligible persons. Guests need to advise DS that they are eligible and want the 25% discount to be applied. In our case, we booked 3 O-Life excursions online and another 2 once on board, which made us eligible for the discount.

We did not realise that DS on Riviera would take a different approach to Marina and did not ask for an interim statement on the last full day of the cruise. The next day (disembarkation day), when final statements were posted outside staterooms, we saw that the 25% had not been applied. DS is closed on the final morning, which is very frustrating, but can be contacted by phone through Reception. However, this takes valuable time on a busy final morning. The DS person we spoke to said the discount had not been applied because we had not requested it! After some discussion, it was applied and our final statements adjusted.

One can only assume that a lot of eligible guests have not received the YWC discount because they are unaware of the process to be followed. Oceania's statement on the Cruise Booklet Shore Excursions page is in fact misleading. The discount is not automatically applied in all cases.

We suggest that guests should:

1. activate your YWC discount directly with DS when you have reserved the minimum no. of

excursions to be eligible;

2. request Reception to print your interim statement on the last full day so you can check the

YWC discount has been applied;

3. take up the issue directly with DS to ensure the discount is applied;

4. don't leave it until disembarkation day to deal with DS because they won't be open.

Lets hope our experience helps a few members in future.

Rogey

Over the past two months, we sailed on Marina and Riviera (4 days apart) and made some some unexpected comparisons. One that might interest CC members is the different approaches the two ships take to recognising and applying YWC discounts. For those guests who reserve expensive shore excursions, the 25% YWC discount can amount to several hundred dollars, so the issue can be significant.

In each guest's Cruise Book, Oceania advises that "you will save 25% off onboard a la carte prices when you reserve a minimum of (x) shore excursions". However, this is not a given. Destination Services (DS) on Marina and Riviera take different approaches, apparently due to the fact that they use different computer packages.

DS on Marina advise guests who inquire about the YWC discount that on the last full day of the cruise the Manager of DS activates the 25% discount for all eligible guests; ie, those that have reserved the minimum no. of shore excursions. In our case it was 7 O-Life shore excursions booked online plus 3 more booked on board, which totalled 10 per person, the minimum required to receive the 25% discount on the price of the 3 excursions. In theory, that sounded OK, but the interim statement I requested later that day showed the 25% had not been applied! When I pointed this out to DS the error was immediately rectified.

Riviera processes all reservations individually and does not automatically apply the 25% YWC discount to eligible persons. Guests need to advise DS that they are eligible and want the 25% discount to be applied. In our case, we booked 3 O-Life excursions online and another 2 once on board, which made us eligible for the discount.

We did not realise that DS on Riviera would take a different approach to Marina and did not ask for an interim statement on the last full day of the cruise. The next day (disembarkation day), when final statements were posted outside staterooms, we saw that the 25% had not been applied. DS is closed on the final morning, which is very frustrating, but can be contacted by phone through Reception. However, this takes valuable time on a busy final morning. The DS person we spoke to said the discount had not been applied because we had not requested it! After some discussion, it was applied and our final statements adjusted.

One can only assume that a lot of eligible guests have not received the YWC discount because they are unaware of the process to be followed. Oceania's statement on the Cruise Booklet Shore Excursions page is in fact misleading. The discount is not automatically applied in all cases.

We suggest that guests should:

1. activate your YWC discount directly with DS when you have reserved the minimum no. of

excursions to be eligible;

2. request Reception to print your interim statement on the last full day so you can check the

YWC discount has been applied;

3. take up the issue directly with DS to ensure the discount is applied;

4. don't leave it until disembarkation day to deal with DS because they won't be open.

Lets hope our experience helps a few members in future.

Rogey

Huh???

Just buy the excursions online before you embark. If you select the YWYW minimum required number for your cruise, the "shopping cart" will give you a choice of which discount package you want to apply (showing you whether "passport" or "YWYW" is cheaper).

If you then add additional tours once onboard, they will automatically be charged per your original discount package (on any Oceania ship).

And if you want to use SBC to pay, you can still buy ahead with your own money and then cancel/rebook onboard (still discounted) as long as there is space available on those tours.

BTW, if one finds the website descriptions tough to navigate, you can call Oceania and get a PDF of your cruise's excursions descriptions e-mailed to you. But do use the website to make the initial purchase. Finally, do note that, if you wait for the hard copy "Cruise Planner" to arrive pre-cruise, you may find many of the more popular tours "sold out" when you try to make a purchase.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

Rogey, Thank you for sharing your experience with DS and the 25% YWYW excursions.

While we book our excursions before the cruise, I have found in the past, that upon boarding, there are usually several new excursions that have been added to the itinerary which is nice for those pax that like to book onboard and use the OBCredit.

Interesting occurrence in our last cruise with DS and the 25% YWYW discount. We were recently on Insignia, sailing Sydney to Los Angeles. Because of several ports cancelled immediately out of Sydney, as well as overbooking error which resulted in cancellation of a number of already booked excursions, DS was extremely busy rebooking, recharging and refunding our already booked cruises. On long cruises, I request a copy of our onboard account every week just to keep abreast of charges. The interesting thing was the excursions rebooked to accommodate either schedule change or overbooking were credited with the YWYW 25% discount price (original form of payment), but our account was debited for the full excursion price. I spoke with both DS and Reception and it was sorted out, but it took my mentioning it to have the changes made during the cruise.

Rogey, Thank you for sharing your experience with DS and the 25% YWYW excursions.

While we book our excursions before the cruise, I have found in the past, that upon boarding, there are usually several new excursions that have been added to the itinerary which is nice for those pax that like to book onboard and use the OBCredit.

Interesting occurrence in our last cruise with DS and the 25% YWYW discount. We were recently on Insignia, sailing Sydney to Los Angeles. Because of several ports cancelled immediately out of Sydney, as well as overbooking error which resulted in cancellation of a number of already booked excursions, DS was extremely busy rebooking, recharging and refunding our already booked cruises. On long cruises, I request a copy of our onboard account every week just to keep abreast of charges. The interesting thing was the excursions rebooked to accommodate either schedule change or overbooking were credited with the YWYW 25% discount price (original form of payment), but our account was debited for the full excursion price. I spoke with both DS and Reception and it was sorted out, but it took my mentioning it to have the changes made during the cruise.

I was on that cruise and perhaps you misunderstood the normal operating procedure:

All refunds/added "discount" bookings must be "finalized" by the "home office" in Miami and, depending on when that happens, the correct adjustment may occur after you have received one of the mid-cruise account summaries. We had the same ship-cancelled issue and some of the original pre-purchased tours were credited as refundable SBC while the new/replacement tours were booked at the same YWYW discount - though the discounted price took a couple of days to appear on the account summary (which is eventually placed on your door or requested from Guest Services).

Of course, hiccups happen. But, usually, the account summaries catch up with the onboard changes.

I was on that cruise and perhaps you misunderstood the normal operating procedure:

All refunds/added "discount" bookings must be "finalized" by the "home office" in Miami and, depending on when that happens, the correct adjustment may occur after you have received one of the mid-cruise account summaries. We had the same ship-cancelled issue and some of the original pre-purchased tours were credited as refundable SBC while the new/replacement tours were booked at the same YWYW discount - though the discounted price took a couple of days to appear on the account summary (which is eventually placed on your door or requested from Guest Services).

Of course, hiccups happen. But, usually, the account summaries catch up with the onboard changes.

Thanks FF

In our previous six cruises with Oceania, this is our first time having cancelled and then rebooked tour(s) while onboard. When you say 'misunderstood the normal operating procedure' is this something you came to understand through experience or is this printed somewhere within the excursion small print? TIA

Thanks FF

In our previous six cruises with Oceania, this is our first time having cancelled and then rebooked tour(s) while onboard. When you say 'misunderstood the normal operating procedure' is this something you came to understand through experience or is this printed somewhere within the excursion small print? TIA

Not published. I came to understand (over a number of O cruises) that all sorts of things (e.g., excursions, onboard bookings, etc) somehow pass through the "home office" before being "finalized."

That said, there have been times when mistakes are made. I've experienced it with an onboard booking discount issue that I had to have corrected once I returned home.

So (as you've already figured out), ask lots of questions and double check everything.

Finally, if anyone was ever to give you a hard time about your inquiries, tell them "Johnny Tokyo" said it's okay.

This is my recollection of YWC package rules - I could be wrong but this is how I remember it.

To get the 25% discount the required # of excursions have to be booked before the cruise (14 days before). If the additional excursions to reach YWC package are booked onboard the discount is only 10 %.

Am I right or am I dreaming? :D

I know in the fine print the O Life excursions need to be booked 14 days prior to the sailing date

Maybe something in the fine print of the package deal

from the website it implies you should book prior to the cruise

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/value/shore-excursion-packages/

bolding is mine

Excursion Packages

Explore More

Our shore excursion collections offer insight into the culture, history and cuisine of the fascinating ports of call you visit, all at substantial savings from the customary à la carte list price. These collections must be reserved prior to sailing, so be sure to book your collection in advance in order to take advantage of these extraordinary savings.

Edited by LHT28

The OP here is also slightly off base, because one does not receive the discount for RESERVING the Excursions, but rather for TAKING them.

Because of the possibility of cancellation(s), the true discount figure isn't accurately known until each discount plateau is reached.

When do we pay for our excursions? When booked or after taking them?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If booked online prior to cruise, you pay for them when booking them.

If booked onboard, they go on your account that is settled at the end of the cruise

The OP here is also slightly off base, because one does not receive the discount for RESERVING the Excursions, but rather for TAKING them.

Because of the possibility of cancellation(s), the true discount figure isn't accurately known until each discount plateau is reached.

I am not sure that is the case

There was a thread a while back where people booking online prior to the cruise got the discount at the time of booking when they paid for the excursions

Our experience is that we reserve the tours on line before the cruise and pay for them at that time. The purchase price they give you is the 25% discounted rate. You do have to reserve and pay for the required number of tours. Then this appears in a list in your blue cruise book. If you book additional tours on the ship should get the discounted rate.

I am not sure that is the case

There was a thread a while back where people booking online prior to the cruise got the discount at the time of booking when they paid for the excursions

Yes, but there were also threads where it was pointed out that if some of those excursions are cancelled afterward, the volume discount would not apply.

You know how it is, a discount is offered on 8 or more, some bright light will book 10, then cancel 3 and hope that in all the confusion the discount will still apply.

Yes, but there were also threads where it was pointed out that if some of those excursions are cancelled afterward, the volume discount would not apply.

You know how it is, a discount is offered on 8 or more, some bright light will book 10, then cancel 3 and hope that in all the confusion the discount will still apply.

yes if they cancel onboard that will change the discount deal

We always prebook our excursions online in conjunction with booking the OLife excursion option so we can get the most expensive ones for free. But you've answered a questioned I've wondered about. From what I'm reading here you can cancel a prebooked excursion onboard (except for the ones booked using the OLife excursions) and then rebook it using SBC, as long as it's not sold out, and still get the 25% YWC discount. Cool!

A couple weeks ago I booked my friend and my OLife perk ship excursions for our upcoming world cruise.

We were allowed 36 free (included) excursions each. We booked 38 total excursions each online, so we had to pay for the 2 extra ones. The Your World package minimum number of excursions was 25, so those 2 extra excursions were each 25% off. We had to pay for those 2 at the time we booked them all. I thought the booking process was pretty easy. And I was happy that the 2 extra ones we had to pay for were automatically the cheapest ones.

I prefer being able to book excursions ahead and being able to use OBC (Princess does that) rather than having to pay for it myself. We usually have lots of OBC, so that makes a nice way to pay.

I prefer being able to book excursions ahead and being able to use OBC (Princess does that) rather than having to pay for it myself. We usually have lots of OBC, so that makes a nice way to pay.

(Bolding mine)

Princess used to do this but no more - you pay for excursions as you book them :(

We will be on Sirena for Cuba intensive in Dec. Had chosen Olife with excursions but not air. Assumed we could book enough additional excursions to get them with 25% discount. When I called, was told they were not offering that option. So called TA and canceled the Olif option. Got the unlimited package with a very big discount on the one OS excursion we wanted. Total savings almost $400.

We will be on Sirena for Cuba intensive in Dec. Had chosen Olife with excursions but not air. Assumed we could book enough additional excursions to get them with 25% discount. When I called, was told they were not offering that option. So called TA and canceled the Olif option. Got the unlimited package with a very big discount on the one OS excursion we wanted. Total savings almost $400.

Either I don't understand what you are saying or something is off. I think they always offer the Passport collection, or whatever it's called.

Either you or the phone rep is misinformed.

YWYW is always available.

Pick the most expensive of your desired non-OS and/or non-OE tours for your O Life cabin allotment (# varies by cruise) before the O Life booking deadline. Add enough pre-pay additional excursions to meet/exceed the total minimum needed for your cruises YWYW package (# varies by cruise) and your pre-pay additions will receive a 25% discount.

If you are told otherwise, ask to speak to a supervisor.

Perhaps the phone rep was wrong, but I certainly understood what they told me. Maybe it's an issue with Cuba excursions. In any case, even if they honored the discount, I am still a little bit ahead this way. And it's done now.

Perhaps the phone rep was wrong, but I certainly understood what they told me. Maybe it's an issue with Cuba excursions. In any case, even if they honored the discount, I am still a little bit ahead this way. And it's done now.

I misspoke. There are some cruises that do not have Passport or YWYW (usually the short ones).

Related to this: in deciding whether to take excursions for O Life rather than OBC or alcohol, figure the YWYW 25% off price of each excursion you're considering. If the pack of O Life discounted excursions don't average less than $100 each, you may want to opt for the OBC or alcohol (which can be upgraded to "prestige" unlimited for $20/person/day).

BTW, O Life excursions cancelled by the ship only get you an OBC credit not exceeding $100. On the other hand, prepaid excursions that are cancelled by the ship get you refundable OBC of whatever you paid.