New Dress Code

And Ruth, I wouldn't have wanted to sit across from him on a gala evening. A t-shirt isn't even Smart Causal, let alone Gala Wear. It is not that difficult to change into a collared Long sleeve shirt. At least those who don't like ties don't have to wear them. And one long sleeve shirt doesn't take up that much room in a suitcase.

Here is a polite solution to the situation. On the first evening on board anyone at table that arrives in less than proper gear should be asked if their luggage has not arrived in their stateroom. Then on the second night if they are still under the standards, one can query if their luggage has still not been delivered. If they ask why you might ask the question, they have then opened the door to your comment that since they had not dressed properly you could only assume they lacked the proper attire.

On the third evening the offender by then proving to be totally dense or not caring, one then approaches the Maître 'd for another table with hopefully a less boorish mate.

All done politely.

Lakesregion, even if you're in a tuxedo I hope you're not at my table.

Here is a polite solution to the situation. On the first evening on board anyone at table that arrives in less than proper gear should be asked if their luggage has not arrived in their stateroom. Then on the second night if they are still under the standards, one can query if their luggage has still not been delivered. If they ask why you might ask the question, they have then opened the door to your comment that since they had not dressed properly you could only assume they lacked the proper attire.

On the third evening the offender by then proving to be totally dense or not caring, one then approaches the Maître 'd for another table with hopefully a less boorish mate.

All done politely.

If one sits up properly instead of leaning into the plate ala BBQ style then one never needs to worry about dipping the tie into the food. Just a thought.
Edited by alwaysfrantic

We are cruising Alaska at the end of the month on HA. We have done some cruising in the past, I have always taken a black suit, white shirt and black tie. I think we will opt out on this cruise. I just do not want to pack all of that, iron it, etc. It is a lot of hassle and we have done all of that. This might mean that we forego the dining room on that night and eat at the Lido. While I do not want to take all of that stuff, I also do not want to be that guy that upsets others because I am not wearing a suit. I respect the dress codes, just not worth my while to pack all of that.

Sure does make one appreciate Cunard does it not?

Thankfully here is one bastion of traditional civility left on the open seas.

I must say that we've been on more than one Cunard cruise and although generally quite true........not always the case.

We were seated at a table for two in the lowly Brittania dining room and night after night, one male individual continued to appear late for his seating and not properly attired. It did not seem that any action was taken to correct the situation. So who knows what is really enforced???

And Ruth, I wouldn't have wanted to sit across from him on a gala evening. A t-shirt isn't even Smart Causal, let alone Gala Wear.

I understand, Sharon. It's the ones who can't be bothered to get out of what they wore all day, hose down, and put on something clean and a notch up for the evening that get to me.

Just washing up and meeting the code shouldn't be all that hard. But it seems that no matter how low HAL sets the standard, there will always be people who can't meet it.

I understand, Sharon. It's the ones who can't be bothered to get out of what they wore all day, hose down, and put on something clean and a notch up for the evening that get to me.

Just washing up and meeting the code shouldn't be all that hard. But it seems that no matter how low HAL sets the standard, there will always be people who can't meet it.

Thanks for stating it better than I ever could.

MWe either meet the code or eat in the Lido. Next cruise we will be in the Pinnacle or another similar optional venue

But, we would never assume that someone who does not meet the code is dirty or has not taken a shower. Not certain how someone can make that leap or even assume that the T shirt at dinner has been worn all day. For us it seems a rather odd assumption. This coming from someone who does not even own or wear a Tshirt...strictly collared shirts.

So if I am wearing a short sleeved collared shirt at dinner will you assume that it is the same one that I have worn all day and that I did not shower? If so, you would be wrong on both counts.

Edited by iancal

As a Cunard cruiser too, I have to comment on your message. I am sorry you felt the need to change, we never do, we cruise Princess, Holland American, Celebrity, Cunard and even NCL. My dh wears his tux and white dinner jackets as he pleases. He looks great!! He too is from Europe/Paris and appreciates a well dressed group but we enjoy our cruises as we please no matter what others do. We always get a table for 2 and dine late. Even on Cunard standards are not the same, last cruise in the 2016 in the fall, on QM2, a tie was optional which we thought was disappointing and we saw men allowed in the MDR without a jacket. Regardless, we never lower our standards. Happy cruising.

Well said. I don't worry what other people wear; I feel special when I am dressed for a special occasion and my man in beautifully turned out. It would be lovely if everybody dressed up for the MDR on gala nights, but that simply isn't going to happen. Having said that, on our recent Noordam cruise I saw very few people in the MDR on gala nights dressed in what would be considered casual, more like the standard which people would wear when going to a nice restaurant. So, OP, if your lovely dresses and your husband's tux make the evening special for you, and if they make you feel good about yourself, go for it and enjoy it to the max. :)

Well said. I don't worry what other people wear; I feel special when I am dressed for a special occasion and my man in beautifully turned out. It would be lovely if everybody dressed up for the MDR on gala nights, but that simply isn't going to happen. Having said that, on our recent Noordam cruise I saw very few people in the MDR on gala nights dressed in what would be considered casual, more like the standard which people would wear when going to a nice restaurant. So, OP, if your lovely dresses and your husband's tux make the evening special for you, and if they make you feel good about yourself, go for it and enjoy it to the max. :)

Thank you to everyone who has replied. I really enjoyed what everyone has written. Such a cross section! I think the consensus is that we will scrub up and enjoy ourselves.

Not certain how someone can make that leap or even assume that the T shirt at dinner has been worn all day. For us it seems a rather odd assumption.

Really? Why don't you think on it a while, and see if you can't figure it out. It really isn't all that hard.

Unless, of course, people showered, then put what they were wearing all day back on.

And some seem to get a kick out of pushing the envelope and rattling other people's chains. How sad for them.

Years back there was a woman on DCL forums whose husband refused to wear real pants....ever. He would only wear sweat pants. She was coming unglued at the dress code when people were telling her that husband had to put on big boy pants. Don't know if he ever put real pants on; though her cruise was canceled due to the noro virus

Years back there was a woman on DCL forums whose husband refused to wear real pants....ever. He would only wear sweat pants. She was coming unglued at the dress code when people were telling her that husband had to put on big boy pants. Don't know if he ever put real pants on; though her cruise was canceled due to the noro virus

No way!

There seems to be a lot of judging and assumptions about people's personal hygiene going on here ... Live and let live I say. I like dressing up and I like dressing down ... My vacation paid for with my hard earned money, my choice. My husband could be found in a t-shirt and jeans most evenings ... He's the cleanest most frequently showered man I know. Making assumptions about people based on how they look is one of the things that got the world into the mess it's in today ... Just my opinion ;)

There seems to be a lot of judging and assumptions about people's personal hygiene going on here ... Live and let live I say. I like dressing up and I like dressing down ... My vacation paid for with my hard earned money, my choice. My husband could be found in a t-shirt and jeans most evenings ... He's the cleanest most frequently showered man I know. Making assumptions about people based on how they look is one of the things that got the world into the mess it's in today ... Just my opinion ;)

Some take the expression "the great unwashed" far too literally...

Edited by Fouremco

As I said on another post, we are too busy enjoying ourselves to watch what others wear during the day and ascertain if they have showered and changed their clothes for dinner.

We do not want to become a couple of busybodies.

It's usually pretty easy to tell if someone sweated through the day then didn't bother to shower or change - especially if thry're sitting at your table. No one has said that they assume someone didn't wash or change. o need to assume, easy enough to tell.

We would probably not have noticed or cared what some wore during the day, let alone two days. We don't spend our on board cruise time monitoring other cruisers...let alone making assumptions about them. Our view is that life is simply too short to be bothered with that nonsense. We mind our own business and hope that others will as well.

Edited by iancal

We would probably not have noticed or cared what some wore during the day, let alone two days. We don't spend our on board cruise time monitoring other cruisers...let alone making assumptions about them. Our view is that life is simply too short to be bothered with that nonsense. We mind our own business and hope that others will as well.

When you see them in line at reception desk, it is hard not to notice. And I only mentioned orginally because they were given jackets on Gala Night!