What's the Earliest Flight I Can Book on Return from Rome?

mfan

We're traveling on a Celebrity cruise in July that will end in Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy. The schedule says the ship will arrive at 5 AM. We're trying to book a return flight back to the US. However, we're finding that most flights are in the morning with only a few choices after 12 PM. For those who have taken Celebrity cruise(s) that ended in Rome, can we book a 11:30 AM flight out of the Rome Airport?

I know the Rome Airport is about an hour ride away from the cruise port, but not sure how long it'll take to get thru Customs and security. I think if we can get off the ship by 8 or 8:30, we should be ok, right? How early can we get off the ship?

Thanks for you help!

BTW, I posted the same question on "Ask A Cruise Question" as well...

We had a 9 am shuttle - left the ship at 8:45 and were at the airport by 10.

That said, there was no customs at the ship since it never left the Schengen zone, so no passport control.

We could have easily made an 11:30 flight.

Was this since they implemented additional security checks on flights back to the USA.

I really would allow 2 hours (or more) at that airport. I have used it often and it can be a very chaotic airport.

Keith

We had an 11:10am flight out of Rome last September and it worked out fine. We did self-disembark at 7:00 and had a car waiting for us to take us to the airport.

You can disembark at 7am and have a car shuttle waiting, you should have no problems making an 11:30am flight. I would allow 2 and a half to 3 hours to check in and fight the security lines. Sometimes you will have a long walk between terminals. Unless they've changed, you have to check in at one terminal and get bussed to another terminal. It's a real goat pull.

Like Wine-O and others have said, the key is being off as early as possible, 7am carrying you own bags so you don't have to lose time looking for them and have a car waiting. We have a cruise ending in Rome in October and our one chance for a non-stop back leaves at 9:50am. Even being off the ship at 7am it is not a chance I will take, we are staying over that night. 11:30am, yes, I would go for it but not leaving the ship at 8am. There are too many things that can go wrong with that small a time window.

Yes, allow an hours ride to the airport and 2 to three hours at the airport. We also did self-disembark and had a private shuttle waiting. We did fly business class and only got through maybe 10 minutes faster than others.

We've done an 11 am, however there are a few caveats:

-we carried off our own luggage (we do this every time regardless)

-Had a private car waiting for us (we used Tom's Limos)

-we were flying business which meant we were put into express lanes for check in & security

-we don't fly direct back into the U.S., & we don't/won't use U.S. based airlines... usually from Rome we fly to Paris, so we don't have any major customs/passport control until then.

If you're flying on a U.S. based line, pretty much none of this applies as you're in a different terminal with more security screening to go through.

Edit: just noticed you're in California, like us, try Air France, they'll stop in Paris, then it's non stop to LAX, you miss out on the chaos of stopping at another U.S. hub on the way home.

We self exited the ship before 8am, got our bags and had a van waiting for us. we were at the airport before 9:30am and had to wait until 10am before our airline counter opened for our 12:05pm flight. Inotherwords, depart by yourself , possibly with your bags, and preorder a van & you will have no problem.

Was this since they implemented additional security checks on flights back to the USA.

I really would allow 2 hours (or more) at that airport. I have used it often and it can be a very chaotic airport.

Keith

A few months ago. I was referring to security at the ship. I don't remember it taking a long time at the airport, but we flew through Munich and London, our flight out of Rome was considered domestic.

You don't need to sign up to disembark as "walk offs". You just need to keep your luggage in your cabin rather then put it out the night before. However you may get a questionnaire in your cabin a few days before the end of the cruise asking about your return flight arrangements. In this case they will tell you a suggested time.

We have done this twice from Civitaveccia and in each case we were off the ship well before 0700 and had a hire car and driver waiting in us. At Fumencino airport within an hour. Ciampino airport takes a little longer.

We had an 11:10am flight out of Rome last September and it worked out fine. We did self-disembark at 7:00 and had a car waiting for us to take us to the airport.

Doing the same on April 27th with the RF TA

I have a 11:15 Delta flight with choice air FCO---->EWR

FYI I did ask Celebrity whats the earliest they suggest, since like I mentioned I booked it with them, and they said they won't book flights before 10:15, but after that it should be fine

You should get a questionnaire in your cabin a few nights before the end of the cruise asking you about your flight plans. On that form is where you can select self walk off.

On the last night of the cruise you should get another flyer telling you what time self walk off begins.

The first time I did self walk off, I went a little bit earlier than the published time, and I was extremely surprised at how long the lineup was. It still goes very quick, so not to worry, I just mentioned it so that you can be prepared. I'd go a little earlier and hopefully be one of the first off the ship.

I'd arrange a private shuttle. I've used Bob's Limos twice and they've been terrific.

Make sure to keep your luggage in your room the night before the cruise.

FCO was a pretty chaotic airport, but I suppose that is also subjective (I'm from Canada!).

We arrived into Rome at 5 AM last summer as well. We chose self-disembarkation. At 7:45, it was insanity trying to get an elevator. The entire elevator area on our floor was packed with people competing for the next elevator with no order of who should get the next one. After about 15 min, we made it in one and then breezed off the ship. If you pre-arrange a private transfer, the driver should be standing just outside the tent holding a sign with your name on it. It’s then a short walk to the car, and you’re off. From there, it’s about an hour drive to the airport as long as you don’t encounter traffic or any other delays. We disembarked on a Saturday, which definitely made the journey shorter. We were simply going to an airport hotel, so I couldn’t tell you what the airport was like that morning, but I wouldn’t risk a flight before noon to be safe. The next morning when we flew out, the line to check in was over 200 people long. We were flying on to France, so we didn’t have to clear US security that morning, but I can imagine the line would have been long for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are also flying out of Rome in October. It was very hard to find a flight that was not too early! We were also worried about the time to get through customs. So we finally found a later flight around 2:00 to London and then to Boston. Thanks for those who let us know we are considered a "domestic" flight to London. So I am assuming we go through customs in Boston at the end? Flying in we are rolling the dice on a tight connection, Boston to Dublin with an hour and half layover and then on to Rome... nervous about that one! AS someone else said, the last time we flew out of Rome we disembarked very early and then the gate at the crazy airport hadn't even opened! Ahhh got to love air travel.!

We are also flying out of Rome in October. It was very hard to find a flight that was not too early! We were also worried about the time to get through customs. So we finally found a later flight around 2:00 to London and then to Boston. Thanks for those who let us know we are considered a "domestic" flight to London. So I am assuming we go through customs in Boston at the end? Flying in we are rolling the dice on a tight connection, Boston to Dublin with an hour and half layover and then on to Rome... nervous about that one! AS someone else said, the last time we flew out of Rome we disembarked very early and then the gate at the crazy airport hadn't even opened! Ahhh got to love air travel.!

I don't think London is considered a domestic flight from Rome. London is not in the Schengen zone, so passport controls would be in effect. It is still, I think, part of the EU in October, so if you need any VAT refunds it would have to be done there.

On our trip we flew first to Munich, which is in the zone, so from Rome that was domestic. However, from Munich to London we did have to do passport control.

The next day we did our VAT refund in London on the way to California.

I don't think London is considered a domestic flight from Rome. London is not in the Schengen zone, so passport controls would be in effect. It is still, I think, part of the EU in October, so if you need any VAT refunds it would have to be done there.

On our trip we flew first to Munich, which is in the zone, so from Rome that was domestic. However, from Munich to London we did have to do passport control.

The next day we did our VAT refund in London on the way to California.

Thanks! So complex!, just get me on the ship and then home! LOL

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had no problems making an 11:15 am Delta flight to the US last October. We did self disembarkation at about 6:30 am, and were at the airport and checked in by 8:00 am. We had arranged for a private company to pick us up at the pier.

We went through security at the airport, and then stopped to eat and rest for awhile. We later found out we still needed to go through passport control, which had a pretty long line. If we did it again, we would go through passport control prior to eating/resting.

We have a car pick up arranged for 7.30am at Civitevecchia after our TA on Reflection this April. Could someone advise if we should do self disembarkation or ask for one of the first baggage tags. Is it likely that normal disembarkation will begin by about 7am? Also we have two large pieces of luggage and two carryons and I’m a bit worried about having to handle them all the way off the ship.

We have a 10:50am “Choice Air” flight out of FCO in June. Does anyone know if Celebrity will have available early transfer to port or should we just do walk off and book our own transfer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would book your own. Even if Celebrity has an early transfer you can sign up for, you're at the mercy of the slowest people getting to the bus. We had an 11:10 Choice Air flight out of FCT last fall and arranged for a driver at 7:00 who was actually there at 6:50 when we disembarked and got us to the airport pretty timely.

My sister and brother in law are flying out of Rome after a cruise. I am going to advise them to get a private driver but how much does that cost? They have a noon flight so should be fine but they don't want to miss the flight.

I've told them about self debarkation. I've done it a few times and had good luck. I take a smaller bag than many and that makes a difference. I don't like waiting on an elevator. You all have brought up many good points for me to pass on. Thank you.