Food on Silhouette

misprint

Just returned from the Bravo music cruise and really enjoyed the entertainment however not so happy with the food on this cruise.

Not sure if it is normal but most of the meals were lukewarm at best. I have been reading reviews and they mostly say how good the food is. Is it just me that likes their food hot? Also noted although not a worry to me that in the MDR steak was not offered nightly as one of the always available dishes, Irish stew was on one night and liver on two nights, not sure about the other four.

I know I will be shot down in flames but I also found a lot of the food bland. Hubby thought the food was ‘down to a price’ as it was a charter but checking menus on here I don’t think so as our menus were similar. Interested to hear others thoughts as back on Silhouette on August.

No need to be "shot down in flames". That is your opinion and you decided to post it. We've always liked the MDR food. Not everything is 100% but don't expect it to be either.

It sounds like your menu is a little different. The "always available" never change on any of the cruises I've been on and always include a steak.

Hope you had a good time otherwise.

Just returned from the Bravo music cruise and really enjoyed the entertainment however not so happy with the food on this cruise.

Not sure if it is normal but most of the meals were lukewarm at best. I have been reading reviews and they mostly say how good the food is. Is it just me that likes their food hot? Also noted although not a worry to me that in the MDR steak was not offered nightly as one of the always available dishes, Irish stew was on one night and liver on two nights, not sure about the other four.

I know I will be shot down in flames but I also found a lot of the food bland. Hubby thought the food was ‘down to a price’ as it was a charter but checking menus on here I don’t think so as our menus were similar. Interested to hear others thoughts as back on Silhouette on August.

Sorry the food was not to your liking on this sailing.

Had you returned dishes which were not to your liking/preference at any time? I think if you had, the wait staff would know how you like food presented each time and do so.

In my experience, X wants to get it right and will work hard to do so, when brought to their attention immediately.

bon voyage

I was also on this cruise on freedom dining

Used the MDR on 3 nights and found food so so though hot. I think though because of the show timings the MDR on the upper level was very very busy at certain times and I think on a normal cruise there would not hVe been these pressure points

You could have written my review on the quality of the food on the Summit two weeks ago. I thought it was an anomaly, but maybe that's the order of the day on Celebrity nowadays. On the first night we ate in the MDR my wife ordered a filet medium; it came out rare to medium rare. An excellent cut of meat but not properly cooked. She sent it back and it was replaced with an inferior piece which was pretty much inedible. Had they put the original item back on the grill for a few minutes all would have been well.

Worse than that, each night after that event the head waiter would stop by and ask how our food was. When we said "OK", he would clap his hands and do a little jig, as if we had made some unreasonable demand over the filet. In fact, the food wasn't very good most of the time but DW and I had resolved not to say anything critical no matter how well deserved a negative comment might be.

This was our twenty sixth Celebrity cruise, so we know what to expect. We were made to feel uncomfortable, so we would make it clear on other evenings that we did not need to be seated in that section. But every night we were seated in that section. I must say that the wait staff was very good from waiter to assistant, to sommelier. But the food? Not so much.

Be thankful you haven't encountered one of those geniuses who says clever things like "Tastes differ". Other diners near us had similar opinions, we discovered.

We had one meal in the Tuscan Grill and that was simply excellent from start to finish. Everything was hot, tasty, and properly prepared. Just excellent and only $90

BTW we are booked on two Silhouette cruises later this year, but we're thinking of dropping one in favor of a Regent cruise. So-so food would make that decision a lot easier

Edited by BosoxI

I was on the Silhouette Bravo cruise too.

I would agree that the MDR food was not always as hot as I would like.... but then I like my food to be so hot that I need a fire extinguisher next to me! All in all though, I mostly enjoyed the quality of the food there. The Lamb chops and beef Wellington were very good I thought.

Service was not the best in the MDR but then I am used to Azamara service, which is in a different league.

Room service breakfast on Sulhouette was terrible, both in quality and presentation. I didn't eat any of it.

Tuscan Grille was very enjoyable too but the star of the whole cruise was Murano. It was excellent and we ate there three times. The staff were great, actually very funny and of course the food was top quality. I had Dover Sole one night, then the Chateaubriand and the Lobster on other nights. All were fantastic. The service was just wonderful and not too "over the top" as it has been in Murano in the past.

Another tip is...I managed to negotiate a reduction to $35 pp in Murano on the first night of the cruise as bookings were quiet and they honoured that price for the subsequent two nights we booked when they were busy! 😄

I know we could have eaten in the specialty restaurants and had a better experience but as this cruise was mostly about the entertainment we decided to stick with MDR. I do think you should not HAVE to pay more to get a reasonable meal. I think if we had had a fixed table as is normal with the same waiters I would have mentioned that I do like my food hot lol. As we were always taken to a different table and it seemed so busy with people coming in continuously we just ate what we were served.

We sailed Silhouette Jan/Feb, we ate most meals specialty but did eat in the MDR 3 nights and 2 of the 3 nights were disappointing. The worst being the last night of the cruise. My appetizer was hot and tasty, but main and the pasta to share was very cold. I mentioned this to the waiter. It seems all they did was place the same cold food on a 400 degree plate, which wasn't enough to warm it up. By then I was discouraged so when the maitre'd stopped over I was at a loss as to what they could do to fix it. My dining partner was finished eating and I was ready to be done with the whole issue, it shouldn't take three tries to get a warm meal.

That's the first time I've been dissatisfied with a meal in the MDR on Celebrity over a dozen or so cruises. After reading others comments it seems to be a bigger issue on Silhoutte than the rest of the fleet.

We were on our eighth Silhouette sailing on January 7 and it was also our eighth sailing on her in AQ. The previous 7 experiences dining in BLU were excellent. On this sailing, I sent back my entrée three of the seven evenings. On the last evening our waiter told us how important it was to give him a 10 on the survey. I responded while he deserved a 10 for excellent service, there was no way food was getting a 10. He replied if I didn't give the food a 10, it would be viewed as a reflection on him and I should also give the food a 10 but I could then write my feedback in the comments section. Needless to say, that is not what I did.

So on our January 2019 Silhouette sailing, with the fantastic rate we received from our TA booking a standard balcony, we'll use the difference we saved over booking AQ and make Specialty dining reservations for the entire cruise.

I am now just a bit nervous about food quality on the Silhouette, as we'll be on her for three straight weeks later this year. In Aqua cabins.. Can anyone advise as to the recent quality in Blu? I never thought it was all that great, and now I am ready to jump ship or buy a specialty restaurant package, which I shouldn't have to do. Maybe I'd be better off in a balcony with the specialty package.

Funny, but in the early '90s we took two X cruises and found the food and service lacking, so we returned to Princess plus some other lines. At some point we discovered the Celebrity dining had improved, so back we came. Now, I wonder if it's time to move on again.

You could have written my review on the quality of the food on the Summit two weeks ago. I thought it was an anomaly, but maybe that's the order of the day on Celebrity nowadays. On the first night we ate in the MDR my wife ordered a filet medium; it came out rare to medium rare. An excellent cut of meat but not properly cooked. She sent it back and it was replaced with an inferior piece which was pretty much inedible. Had they put the original item back on the grill for a few minutes all would have been well.

Worse than that, each night after that event the head waiter would stop by and ask how our food was. When we said "OK", he would clap his hands and do a little jig, as if we had made some unreasonable demand over the filet. In fact, the food wasn't very good most of the time but DW and I had resolved not to say anything critical no matter how well deserved a negative comment might be.

This was our twenty sixth Celebrity cruise, so we know what to expect. We were made to feel uncomfortable, so we would make it clear on other evenings that we did not need to be seated in that section. But every night we were seated in that section. I must say that the wait staff was very good from waiter to assistant, to sommelier. But the food? Not so much.

Be thankful you haven't encountered one of those geniuses who says clever things like "Tastes differ". Other diners near us had similar opinions, we discovered.

We had one meal in the Tuscan Grill and that was simply excellent from start to finish. Everything was hot, tasty, and properly prepared. Just excellent and only $90

BTW we are booked on two Silhouette cruises later this year, but we're thinking of dropping one in favor of a Regent cruise. So-so food would make that decision a lot easier

I see you used the word "inedible." When I did that after not being able to eat our food in the MDR for 3 nights on the Eclipse, all kinds of vilifying comments began to fly at me. AND when I said we are having a break from Celebrity and trying another line, all hell broke loose.

We have had wonderful meals in the MDR but not on the past 3 cruises, 2 on Infinity and the last one on Eclipse.

For us things have changed. I think those sailing in suites have better experiences in their dining venues and those who are new, dont know the difference.

Yes, no one needs to point out that I have said all this before. I have, many times in the last several months.

I support you for saying the food was inedible. And support your opinion.

We were on our eighth Silhouette sailing on January 7 and it was also our eighth sailing on her in AQ. The previous 7 experiences dining in BLU were excellent. On this sailing, I sent back my entrée three of the seven evenings. On the last evening our waiter told us how important it was to give him a 10 on the survey. I responded while he deserved a 10 for excellent service, there was no way food was getting a 10. He replied if I didn't give the food a 10, it would be viewed as a reflection on him and I should also give the food a 10 but I could then write my feedback in the comments section. Needless to say, that is not what I did.

So on our January 2019 Silhouette sailing, with the fantastic rate we received from our TA booking a standard balcony, we'll use the difference we saved over booking AQ and make Specialty dining reservations for the entire cruise.

Did you have the same waiter each night in Blu? That has never happened to us. If we had a bad waiter, we would steer away from him on future nights. May not have loved all entrees in Blu but never went hungry. Luminae is much the same.

In reply to Nancy, if your first post on that infamous thread, you acted the food was inedible in both the MDR and the Oceanview. Later on you said the food was good in the Oceanview. I remain confused.

Either I was not clear or you misunderstood, I said the food was bad in MDR , we ate in Oceanview for the rest of the cruise. But that was on the Eclipse. On the Infinity the food in the Oceanview was also awful. The itinerary was wonderful and having read previous reviews we were prepared for that.

We were on Silhouette last month on the transatlantic crossing. We ate EVERY night in the MDR. Not once was the food cold. Not once was the food tasteless. We had consistently good service throughout. I think the original poster was victim of the charter cost cutting that I read about before. Different menus, fewer staff, lower standards.

Coming up on our 3rd CC cruise, this upcoming on the Solstice to Hawaii in Aqua stateroom. We book Aqua for the venue of Blu, incredible offering, portions, quality on our past. Yes, we also love the specialty restaurants, best was the Lawn Club Grill, wow!! But you’ll love Blu. Have not visited the MDR on past cruises, so can’t comment.

We’re starting Day 3 on the Silhouette and unfortunately I agree with the OP. Food in the ocean view cafe has been lukewarm as well as dinner in the MDR on the first night. It’s my perception that the food has been moving to the bland side over the last view years. I was also disappointed to see that Irish stew has replaced steak as one of the classic options on a regular cruise.

There was also something that I had never seen before in the OCV. During lunch they had 2 long sections, maybe 10 - 12 ft long, that we’re filled with sardines. It looked like a bait shop. I’m not sure if this was for a taste of Denmark or Britain.

We were on Silhouette last month on the transatlantic crossing. We ate EVERY night in the MDR. Not once was the food cold. Not once was the food tasteless. We had consistently good service throughout. I think the original poster was victim of the charter cost cutting that I read about before. Different menus, fewer staff, lower standards.

I have to say that in my view there were loads of staff on this ship - I have never seen so many staff. I think the menus were also the same. But there definitely some issues between Celebrity and Bravo

Is there any chance someone has current menus they can post because we are due on here on 7th July. I am getting very concerned, we mentioned cold food to Celebrity following our cruise in October on the Silhouette and it seems to be getting worse. I can't believe Irish stew probably made with left overs is on the MDR menu. Is "Modern Luxury Lives Here" pub grub. How low can Celebrity go

For this food topic, which is frequent on these boards, the main point IMO is that food is highly subjective. On the same cruise at the same time, perhaps at the same table, posters will describe the same food served in a range from "awful/inedible" all the way to "terrific/exceptional". The message here is to not get yourself too negative or too positive pre-cruise based upon comments here. Just try and judge the food based on your own standards. When you serve a dish to everybody in your family at home - does everybody like it the same?

Is there any chance someone has current menus they can post because we are due on here on 7th July. I am getting very concerned, we mentioned cold food to Celebrity following our cruise in October on the Silhouette and it seems to be getting worse. I can't believe Irish stew probably made with left overs is on the MDR menu. Is "Modern Luxury Lives Here" pub grub. How low can Celebrity go

I do not believe it either. If the steak was replaced with Irish Stew on the everyday menu, we would have had a lot more people posting about that change.

Princess as removed steak from their everyday menu.

I do not believe it either. If the steak was replaced with Irish Stew on the everyday menu, we would have had a lot more people posting about that change.

Princess as removed steak from their everyday menu.

In case you thought I was mistaken please see menu below. Irish stew was the offering on this menu which is the only one I have a pic of. Liver was offered twice on the timeless entrees section, I know as my husband had it. Can’t remember the other days sorry.

86404467-29c6-4670-ab40-43b257018ead